IGNORED

Putting ... which hand?

slinkee
Note: This thread is 5911 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been playing around with how to really control my putter. As a righty, I've been told that you should use your left hand as your speed hand and right hand to stabilize/aim the putter. Honestly I've been doing it completely opposite. To me, if I use my right hand to control the tempo of the putter and left hand to aim, it kind of gives me the sensation of rolling the ball towards the whole with my right hand, thus, yielding better results.

As a new golfer I don't want to ingrain any flawed mechanics in to my head that might inhibit performance years down the road. So anybody think there's anything wrong with this?

In the bag:

Driver: R580 9.5* Stiff
3 Wood: SQ Sumo 2 15* Stiff
Irons 4-PW/AW/SW: Big Bertha 2008 SteelPutter: 2-BallBalls: Pro-V1

I also use my right hand for speed, and the left to aim. I just got my bell putter though, and haven't gotten the chance to really try it out.

In my bag.
Driver-Adams 9.5
3 wood-Adams
5 wood- Wilson Head Speed
6-PW-Wilson Head Speed 3-5-Hybrid-Nike SQ2 Clone SW-Tour Edge Soft cast LW-Maxfli Black Max Froged Putter-Crossfire

We all know putting is the most personal of all strokes in golf - do whatever works best for you.

That said, I use my right hand to aim by pointing my right index finger down the shaft - so when im putting, it feels as though im rolling the ball off the tip of my index finger towards my target.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

Me thinks your making putting way to complicated, right hand does this, left hand does that... keep it simple think Line + Speed = hole. completely forget mechanics when your on the course.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Me thinks your making putting way to complicated, right hand does this, left hand does that... keep it simple think Line + Speed = hole. completely forget mechanics when your on the course.

Well my thoughts on this is that this does keep it really simple, and for me, a simple mechanic like this helps me keep the club face squared where instead I was using both hands to move the putter it just felt like I was doing a lot of inside out.

In the bag:

Driver: R580 9.5* Stiff
3 Wood: SQ Sumo 2 15* Stiff
Irons 4-PW/AW/SW: Big Bertha 2008 SteelPutter: 2-BallBalls: Pro-V1

I have always found the best 'swing thought' to have when putting is to move/swing the club with your forearms, focusing on your hands will encourage twitchy hands during the putting stroke.

KISS - Keep it simple stupid

Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I use the same grip that I normally swing with, expcept that my right index finger is extended down the shaft to guide the putter along its path. My hands and wrists are inactive during my putt, I'm pretty much all shoulders. I moved to concentrating on my shoulder movement instead of my forearms and it almost completely removed 3 putting from my game. What used to be my biggest weakness is no one of the most confident parts of my game.

I use the same grip that I normally swing with, expcept that my right index finger is extended down the shaft to guide the putter along its path. My hands and wrists are inactive during my putt, I'm pretty much all shoulders. I moved to concentrating on my shoulder movement instead of my forearms and it almost completely removed 3 putting from my game. What used to be my biggest weakness is no one of the most confident parts of my game.

Congrats on improving a part of your game

It's funny just how individual putting can be, too me putting with the feeling of my hands controlling the stroke feels alien, and very unreliable, where as to some it feels natural, when I feel like I putt with my shoulders it feels very cramped and unrhythmic.

I use my shoulders for speed, setup for aim and my hands are just clamps.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

Note: This thread is 5911 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!