IGNORED

Length of Your Clubs

Note: This thread is 1554 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Who has been fitted for your irons, and was told your irons should be shorter than standard length? Is this pretty common? They cut all of my clubs FW, HB, irons and wedges -1” and I just can’t get use to it. Only being 1” maybe it is just physiological?

Edited by CharlieB

38 minutes ago, CharlieB said:

Who has been fitted for your irons, and was told your irons should be shorter than standard length? Is this pretty common? They cut all of my clubs FW, HB, irons and wedges -1” and I just can’t get use to it. Only being 1” maybe it is just physiological?

Different clubs have different stock lengths, so 1” short in one set could be standard in another.

If they cut your current set of clubs down, there’s definitely going to be an adjustment period.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been fitted by Ping, everything was standard in terms of length but I was a blue dot, just off of black which is their standard lie. I'm 6 foot tall with I guess "standard" length arms etc. Did they cut an 1" off based on static measurements, did you hit off a strike board? An 1" sounds like a lot to cut off unless you are short in stature.

2 hours ago, CharlieB said:

If you were fitted....would the shorter clubs as suggested by the time at the fitting session felt awkward too?

When I was fitted for my last set they were cut 1/4".  The fitter said it helped me find the center of the face more consistently.

When I was fitted a few weeks ago the fitter thought that made no sense and fit me for standard length clubs.  The standard length of the older clubs were shorter, too, so the difference was a full inch, I think.  Maybe 3/4

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

So I gotta ask.  Is choking up 1/4" (or even 1") somehow less effective than cutting the thing?  This sounds like a bunch of hooey to me.

5 minutes ago, dsc123 said:

When I was fitted for my last set they were cut 1/4".  The fitter said it helped me find the center of the face more consistently.

When I was fitted a few weeks ago the fitter thought that made no sense and fit me for standard length clubs.  The standard length of the older clubs were shorter, too, so the difference was a full inch, I think.  Maybe 3/4

• Upvote 1

Most 7 irons are a standard 37”. My G15’s are a yellow dot, or 1.5* upright. By taking the inch off they changed the lie angle to -.25* flat. I do hit them in the center of the face now, but they really feel weird, especially in the wedges. I wish I would had just moved up to the G410 in the correct lie. I’m 5’7” tall and my finger tip measurement is 33.4. By that number I should be hitting a blue dot in standard length.

I’m going to go to a Ping fitting day this spring and get fitted by a factory professional for the G410 irons.

1 hour ago, Cantankerish said:

So I gotta ask.  Is choking up 1/4" (or even 1") somehow less effective than cutting the thing?  This sounds like a bunch of hooey to me.

Probably not.  But it doesn't cost anything to have them built to the right size. 

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

1 hour ago, Cantankerish said:

At this point from my results I would tend to agree with you, but I’m a looong ways from be a Pro.

• iacas changed the title to Length of Your Clubs
Note: This thread is 1554 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!