IGNORED

Ball position

Note: This thread is 5899 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When and why do you place the ball in the back of your stance? I hear people talk about different situations to do it it but I don't really know the mechanics of why it makes for a better shot.

In the bag:

Driver: R580 9.5* Stiff
3 Wood: SQ Sumo 2 15* Stiff
Irons 4-PW/AW/SW: Big Bertha 2008 SteelPutter: 2-BallBalls: Pro-V1

The only real time ill place the ball in the back of my stance is if I want to hit a low punch shot, maybe into a steady wind. Other then that, if I am greenside, and im pitching the ball onto the green ill put it back in my stance, but not much though.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

When and why do you place the ball in the back of your stance? I hear people talk about different situations to do it it but I don't really know the mechanics of why it makes for a better shot.

I move it back slightly if I find myself having bad contact, but my bad contact tends to come from playing the ball too far forward in my stance.

The only real time ill place the ball in the back of my stance is if I want to hit a low punch shot, maybe into a steady wind. Other then that, if I am greenside, and im pitching the ball onto the green ill put it back in my stance, but not much though.

So, you move it back in your stance for either really low or really high? Now I'm confused.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When pitching onto the green, the idea is to keep the ball low and either let it run to the flag or fly it to the flag and have it check up on you. If I dont have to get the ball airborne on pitches and chips, I wont do so, ill keep it low, hence keeping the ball in the back of my stance. For amateurs, if you have the opportunity to keep the ball low, thats usually the safest bet.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

So, you move it back in your stance for either really low or really high? Now I'm confused.

Playing the ball back in your stance will induce more backspin because you "pinch" it against the ground by hitting more down on it. I love hitting a nice firm chip like this. One or two bounces and it checks up.

Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

I play it back on shots near the green and when into the wind with iron shots (I don't bother too much with it with the woods). Also if I'm hitting shots left/pulling them/hooking them, I'll try to move it back a little further in my stance as I may have the ball too far forward and it can cause those type of shots sometimes.

YAKUZA

I find playing the bckk back a bit helps me hit a draw as well.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

Low running chips, punch shots, hitting from a divot, hitting from a downhill lie, hitting from a fairway bunker.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

Low running chips, punch shots, hitting from a divot, hitting from a downhill lie, hitting from a fairway bunker.

What's a punch shot? and what about an uphill lie? Forward ball position? Centered?

In the bag:

Driver: R580 9.5* Stiff
3 Wood: SQ Sumo 2 15* Stiff
Irons 4-PW/AW/SW: Big Bertha 2008 SteelPutter: 2-BallBalls: Pro-V1

A punch shot is a shot that flies low with some spin. It's used to get under things, and for control on shorter approaches.

This is the shot you see tour pros hit with short irons where at the finish their hands are waist high.

You hold off "release" and finish low.

Uphill lies, ball is usually forward a bit. You have to match your shoulders to the lie. With your back shoulder lower, I find it easier and more accurate to move the ball forward a bit.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

. . .A punch shot is required when you want to keep the ball's flight real low. Whether it is a short shot around the green or a long fairway shot from under a tree for instance, you do not want to have a high follow through. You want to hit the ball from back in your stance and follow through with stiff arms. Regarding a uphill lie, you've got to realize that the ball will usually go to the left. . .so you should aim to the right of where you want the ball to go. Likewise, a downhill lie will usually fly off to the right so aim accordingly!

That's just my take. . .there are a lot of people here that know a heck of a lot more than I do!

Good luck!

Mike

. . ."Commit to each shot. . .and believe"!!

In my R7 Tour Bag:

Driver: Taylor Made R1 "Black" Aldila RIP Phenom Stiff Shaft  Fairway:  RocketBallz #3 (15 degree) Stiff Shaft  Hybrid:  #3 (19 degree) Stiff Shaft,  Hybrid:  #5 Burner (25 degree) Stiff Shaft   Irons & Wedges: CGB Max '08 Black Steel Stiff Shaft. PW, SW, & LW. Putter: Rossa Modena...

Note: This thread is 5899 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!