IGNORED

Producing spin

Note: This thread is 5898 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok. I can not for the life of me produce any back spin with any of my irons. I'm not looking to make the ball draw back or anything. But what I would like is for the ball to actually check up when I'm pitching/chipping. I feel like I put a pretty good downward strike on the ball but nothing. What am I missing?

Clubs are Mizuno MP-32's with Nike SV wedges.

In The Bag
SQ 5000 10.5

SQ Sumo 3 wood
MP-32 3-PWGolden Bear Gap Wedge SV Sand Wedge MP T Lob WedgeYes Golf Callie Putter

What are the conditions of the greens where you normally play (hard, fast, etc)? Are others where you play able to spin/check the ball when chipping or pitching? The reason I ask is b/c at my home course the greens are extremely hard and I have yet to see anyone spin a ball back unless the greens are soggy. Another factor maybe the type ball you play.

hmmm i never thought about the green conditions. They are typically pretty hard here. I play a myriad of balls.

In The Bag
SQ 5000 10.5

SQ Sumo 3 wood
MP-32 3-PWGolden Bear Gap Wedge SV Sand Wedge MP T Lob WedgeYes Golf Callie Putter

What are the conditions of the greens where you normally play (hard, fast, etc)? Are others where you play able to spin/check the ball when chipping or pitching? The reason I ask is b/c at my home course the greens are extremely hard and I have yet to see anyone spin a ball back unless the greens are soggy. Another factor maybe the type ball you play.

oh and what part of Alabama are you in? I'll be over there on thursday in the Auburn area and plan on playing Grand National while I'm there.

In The Bag
SQ 5000 10.5

SQ Sumo 3 wood

I play a myriad of balls.

This could be the number one reason. Try a high spin ball and practice with it next to a distance ball. You should see an immediate difference, if you don't it is your technique.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

oh and what part of Alabama are you in? I'll be over there on thursday in the Auburn area and plan on playing Grand National while I'm there.

I live in west Alabama close to Tuscaloosa. Be careful in Auburn, I wouldnt want you to get hit by tractor and stay away from the campus area or you might run into on of these

This could be the number one reason. Try a high spin ball and practice with it next to a distance ball. You should see an immediate difference, if you don't it is your technique.

so what is the proper technique. When I say i play a myriad of balls it means i've tried everything from a Pro V1 to the Nike One Platinum. Although I haven't tried the higher spin balls since i've really refined my swing. I shall try that.

In The Bag
SQ 5000 10.5

SQ Sumo 3 wood

so what is the proper technique. When I say i play a myriad of balls it means i've tried everything from a Pro V1 to the Nike One Platinum. Although I haven't tried the higher spin balls since i've really refined my swing. I shall try that.

Well it won't matter if you don't have the right ball.

There are some great discussions under the topic of spin for almost any shot that you want to hit... http://www.thesandtrap.com/forum/sea...searchid=44434

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Well it won't matter if you don't have the right ball.

damn i guess i could have searched spin.

In The Bag
SQ 5000 10.5

SQ Sumo 3 wood

If you're playing titanium distance balls don't expect those things to check up. Someone (who doesn't play golf) gave me a dozen as a gift. I took some out for a round of golf. First tee I thought I knocked it into outerspace. My approach shot, which was a pitch, didn't stop bouncing and rolling until almost the second tee box.

David Laville, G.S.E.M.
The Golfing Machine Authorized Instructor

There are three really key aspects to creating spin, first is the conditions, is it damp or hot, and are the greens hard or soft? Too hard and the ball will obviously tend to skip before spinning, too soft and the ball may well plug (happens a lot in england over the winter!). If the conditions are damp the ball i feel tends to spin a little more.

Second is the strike, it must be a downward strike and crisp, too descending and the ball may well balloon losing it's spin in the air. Ideally the divot should be the width of the club, just after the ball, shallow and about 4 inches long. Divots tell you alo about your ball striking!

Finally is the equipment, too stiff shafts will result in less spin and a rubbish golf ball will rob you of spin as well! Also, out of rough, make sure the grooves on the club are clean, i have seen a lot of people have dirty grooves, make a good contact out of the rough and wonder why it comes out hot and rolls and rolls!!

Driver - 905r 9.5* with UST Proforce VT Stiff
3 Wood - SQ 3+ 13* with Grafallloy prolaunch blue Stiff
5 Wood - SQ 5* 19 with Aldila NV65 stiff
Irons - MP 67 3 + 5-PW 2deg Up + 1/2" with DG S300 shaft.
Wedges - SV 52/10 with true temper s400 BV Spin Milled 56/10 Wedge Flex BV Spin Milled 60/04...

There are a number of factors that effect spin: technique, grass hitting from, green firmness / receptiveness, groves, loft, etc.

From a technique standpoint if you want spin I'd recommend the following: make sure the club head stays outside your hands during the swing / stroke. (In other words don't rotate your arms or the club head during your swing). You could also try hinging your back wrist on the backswing (like Phil Mickelson), and then hold that wrist position on the way through.

If you're hitting from a fairway type lie (where there is no grass between club and ball contact), or your playing on grass with thick blades (Bermuda) than it will be easier to spin the ball. If you're playing from softer or thinner bladed grass then you will have more difficulty spinning the ball.

Finally you could open the club face and your stance, and then take your grip (so that the club sets up with more loft) to get your ball to stop quicker.

Here are a few links that may also help you with your spin problem.
http://www.shark.com/sharkwatch/inst...n/lesson43.php
http://www.shark.com/sharkwatch/inst...n/lesson33.php

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

I somewhat agree that it could be the ball, but if you put a good downward stroke on it and follow through correctly you should be able to make any ball stop within a few feet of where it lands. Also, what is the trajectory of your wedge shots? High or medium-low? One thing that really helps me produce a lot of spin, is to accelerate fast through the ball

Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5* with Prolaunch Blue S| Adams InSight XTD A3 15* FW | Adams IDEA a3 hybrid irons | Callaway 52* X-Tour Forged wedge | Titleist Bob Vokey SM56* | PING Day putter

Favorite Ball: Srixon Z Star X

Home Course: Majestic Pines GCage: 16

I do not "try" to make a ball spin. It just does. Every iron I hit into a green today hit and rolled no more than a foot. One reason is trajectory. But the other is simply crisp, slightly downward ball strike. The rest is technology and physics. I find that I can make most any ball spin and stop. The cheapy, hard boogers might roll a little more but all the rest are negligible. Clubhead speed can definitely be a factor as well. Loosen your hands and wrists and that usually will make a difference in making crisp contact.

Soft hands...most high handicappers use the death grip which will prevent any lag in your downswing.

In the Bag

Cobra Amp Cell Pro Black Tie 7M3 Stiff  |  LS Hybrid Kurokage Stiff  |
 Nickent 4DX KBS Hybrid Stiff 3,4  | Cobra S3 Pro 5-PW Project X 5.5  |
 Scratch 53*, 59*  |  Odyssey Backstryke  |  Srixon Z Star

Club head speed as your trapping the ball. Most people have a tendency to decell at impact not only on chipping but on all iron shots. Some time while watching Tiger the broadcast will talk about a "dead arm swing". What he's doing is going one club up and putting a 3/4 swing on it so as to cut down on the ball spin. I like to call this a "knock down shot", it's very useful when you really need to hit a very straight shot at the pin... In order to draw the ball back or check it you really have to create alot of speed at the ball...bwgolfer

TaylorMade Burner TP 9.5* stiff shaft Driver and Taylormade 15* medal
Cleveland utilities 22*
Taylormade tour prefered irons with rifle flighted 6.0
Taylormade z groove tp wedges 52* and 58*
Rife Antigua blade putterTitlest Pro V1X, Bridgestone 3000s Black

Note: This thread is 5898 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!