IGNORED

Fill the gap

James146
Note: This thread is 1459 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I can fit one more club in the bag if I choose to and thought I would see what you folks think. I play Ping G20. 

Driver 10.5

Hybrid 17

4i to UW - 4i is 23

Ping Glide wedges 54 and 58

Bottom of the bag is fine. My initial thought was to add the matching 3i at 20 degree loft. I am much more confident hitting a long iron than a fairway wood but I feel the gap between the driver and hybrid is needed more.  If Ping made a Crossover at 14 degrees this would be a no brainer but they don't. 

Thoughts?

Thanks

A couple of questions before we can recommend a club.

What are the gaps between your clubs, distance wise.  I say this because fitting a club between two that has say a 15 yard gap may not make much sense for example.

Are there any specific shots or areas you need help with.  A chipper type club for example.

Do you need help with hitting different shot shapes off the tee.  I played with a guy who had a draw and fade driver in his bag.  No changes to his swing.  Just different club giving different shot shape.

If none of the above are a problem, perhaps the best club to fit in the bag is a 3 wood which lets you maximise distance off the fairway.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The obvious answer is a 3-wood, but if you struggle with that, then consider a 5-wood.  Many find them much easier to hit than a 3 wood with very nearly the same distance...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

27 minutes ago, David in FL said:

The obvious answer is a 3-wood, but if you struggle with that, then consider a 5-wood.  Many find them much easier to hit than a 3 wood with very nearly the same distance...

This would be my answer too, but his hybrido is pretty much a 4 or 5 wood loft already. I think that 2 clubs are probably in order loft wise for me. 10.5 and 17 are too far away to be a good gap, but too close to slide something in. I would say a 15-16 degree wood and a 19-20 degree hybrid would be ideal if the distance gapping is similar to the loft gapping. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

2 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

This would be my answer too, but his hybrido is pretty much a 4 or 5 wood loft already. I think that 2 clubs are probably in order loft wise for me. 10.5 and 17 are too far away to be a good gap, but too close to slide something in. I would say a 15-16 degree wood and a 19-20 degree hybrid would be ideal if the distance gapping is similar to the loft gapping. 

Yes I agree with all of these answers. My guess is I will add the 3i at 20 degrees and a 3 wood at 15 degrees and lose the 20 degree hybrid. I can hit a 3 wood, just not my favorite club in the bag. 

Just now, James146 said:

Yes I agree with all of these answers. My guess is I will add the 3i at 20 degrees and a 3 wood at 15 degrees and lose the 20 degree hybrid. I can hit a 3 wood, just not my favorite club in the bag. 

I guess it just comes down to whether you want something in the bag that you like to hit, or something that is potentially more effective. Course conditions will dictate what is a better choice as well. If you only play courses with similar layouts, that may favor a driving iron (tight fairways with heavy rough or lots of trees). Most players that play driving irons or utes or whatever you want to call them, still play a wood as their second longest club from what I have seen. The wood is lethal when it comes to getting nGIR on par 5s that are on the longer side of your distance range. It may make the difference in a birdie 30% of the time on those holes with a wood vs 10% of the time if you don't get within x (say 30) yards from the green. 

For me, I recently made the switch from a 4 wood to a 3 wood and the results are pretty amazing. The extra 10-15 yards that the 3 wood gives me put me in scoring chances more often.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

9 hours ago, James146 said:

I have played both. I am much more confident and skilled with a long iron. I have considered a "driving iron"  at 14 degrees. 

What about the Ping G410 2 crossover? It’s 17* and have it bent to 15*?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Eyed stick a 5 wood in between the Driver and the Hybrid.  I say that because I am all about a 5 wood.  Some others  might recommend two Hybrids...a strong one and a weak one.  Whatever works is the stock to breed from.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Note: This thread is 1459 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!