IGNORED

My Swing (EricBro)

EricBro
Note: This thread is 1452 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 2 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 33
My typical ball flight is:  Often now what I expect
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Slice

I'm 67 years old and this is the beginning of my third year playing. My group lesson in the fall of 2017 was the first time I had been on a golf course, and I have had approx 6 private lessons since (they're hard to schedule because the instuctor is across town and pretty booked up).  I've played a few 9-hole par-3 courses we have around here, and another short course that's only about 5300 yards.  Late last year, (and when I've visited out-of-town friends), I've played more mainstream courses. Generally, when weather permits I'm out 3 - 4 time per week, either playing or on the range. 

I'm a spreadsheet guy, so I've tracked my scores, scores as a percentage of par, fairways in regulation, greens in regulation, and 2 putt holes. I've seen gradual improvement in those categories.  I haven't played all that many 18-home courses, but for those rounds I've my handicap has hovered around 29 - 33.  Obviously, I'd like to make faster progress.

To try to isolate on what parts of my game are most problematic, I also record, as I play, for each club, did I hit it well and did it do (pretty much) what I wanted it to do - I'm at approx 45 - 50% of my shots.  At this point, my worst sore spot is my driver.  Although I generally seem to hit the ball solidly, I've always struggled with a slice, but particularly the last few times I've gone out, I've lost way too many balls.  It's gotten worse.

Given that my instructor (all instructors, I think) are unavailable because of the coronavirus, I can't go to him for a tune-up.  I'm hoping I can get some help here.

11 minutes ago, EricBro said:

I've been Playing Golf for: 2 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 33
My typical ball flight is:  Often now what I expect
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Slice

I'm 67 years old and this is the beginning of my third year playing. My group lesson in the fall of 2017 was the first time I had been on a golf course, and I have had approx 6 private lessons since (they're hard to schedule because the instuctor is across town and pretty booked up).  I've played a few 9-hole par-3 courses we have around here, and another short course that's only about 5300 yards.  Late last year, (and when I've visited out-of-town friends), I've played more mainstream courses. Generally, when weather permits I'm out 3 - 4 time per week, either playing or on the range. 

I'm a spreadsheet guy, so I've tracked my scores, scores as a percentage of par, fairways in regulation, greens in regulation, and 2 putt holes. I've seen gradual improvement in those categories.  I haven't played all that many 18-home courses, but for those rounds I've my handicap has hovered around 29 - 33.  Obviously, I'd like to make faster progress.

To try to isolate on what parts of my game are most problematic, I also record, as I play, for each club, did I hit it well and did it do (pretty much) what I wanted it to do - I'm at approx 45 - 50% of my shots.  At this point, my worst sore spot is my driver.  Although I generally seem to hit the ball solidly, I've always struggled with a slice, but particularly the last few times I've gone out, I've lost way too many balls.  It's gotten worse.

Given that my instructor (all instructors, I think) are unavailable because of the coronavirus, I can't go to him for a tune-up.  I'm hoping I can get some help here.

You're a perky looking 67 year old.  Tighten things up, shorten that swing a bit and get after the ball.  Knock off the powder puff "flicking" at the ball.

And rake your lawn.

• Thumbs Up 1

(Damn magnolias have persistent leaves that don't break down)

By "shorten" my swing, do you mean don't take it back as far?  Maybe so it's pointing more upright at the top?

12 minutes ago, EricBro said:

By "shorten" my swing, do you mean don't take it back as far?  Maybe so it's pointing more upright at the top?

At or just short of parallel, with a feeling of tension... i.e. club and hands at that point wanting to get back to the ball... as if you were stretching out a bungee cord and at the top of your swing there is more tautness.

At least you have your own Magnolia Lane.

• billchao changed the title to My Swing (EricBro)
  • Administrator

@EricBro, you'll find that people are plenty willing to help, but we can't do anything with practice swings. We need:

• Good angles.
  • FO and DL.
  • Actual swings hitting a ball.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

You're a perky looking 67 year old.  Tighten things up, shorten that swing a bit and get after the ball.  Knock off the powder puff "flicking" at the ball.

And rake your lawn.

13 hours ago, EricBro said:

We tend to try and reach back too far for power, but it may not be necessary. Look at John Rahm and Tony Finau. They are big hitter with short backswings.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1452 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!