IGNORED

My Swing (BallCoach702)

BallCoach702
Note: This thread is 1258 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 6 Years

My current handicap index or average score is: Low 100s
My typical ball flight is: Inconsistent especially with my irons. My Irons are just not good.
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: I'm trying to turn more in my backswing and get away from a sway backwards and a sway forwards. My swing thoughts have typically been with swing path and my hands. Now I've changed to just focus on the rotation of my hips. The first move I feel in my backswing is my hips turning back and letting everything else follow. After my hips get going I'm just letting everything go and not having any thoughts. This has seemed to help me swing more natural and less "forced". I've had success with my driver recently but I have really struggled with my irons. 

Videos: 

Edited by BallCoach702

• Administrator

What does your swing look like if you start your backswing with a turn and then try to take your hands UP as high as they can (reasonably) go?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)

I will record a video tomorrow and let you see, I’m guessing you are wanting me to not bring my hands so far inside. In the past when I’ve reached with my hands I’ve been over the top and hit fat a lot. 

thanks for your feedback.

Edited by BallCoach702

• 5 months later...
  • Administrator

Right, so what's the problem, again? Why are you a 35 handicap?

I embedded the videos for you. Please do this in the future.

https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/embed-videos/ - Thank you.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)

Thank you! 

So I’m curious about the impact of bowing and cupping on the bottom of my swing. When I feel that I’m at a bowed position I top the ball more regularly. When I feel that I’m cupping more at the bottom I am able to make great contact. 

im a 35 handicap because of a i’never mastered my slice but 2021 will be my best year yet. Plus my short game has sucked. I’m learning through that stuff so I hope to be low 90s by May.

im definitely a little Toe heavy in that video.

Edited by BallCoach702

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Right, so what's the problem, again? Why are you a 35 handicap?

That's what I'm saying. The swing looks pretty dang good, @BallCoach702. I know that @iacas is about to tell you that "feels ain't real", so I'll say it first. This doesn't look like a slicing swing at all. You aren't coming OTT too much or anything else noticeable to me, although I'm no pro.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

6 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

That's what I'm saying. The swing looks pretty dang good, @BallCoach702. I know that @iacas is about to tell you that "feels ain't real", so I'll say it first. This doesn't look like a slicing swing at all. You aren't coming OTT too much or anything else noticeable to me, although I'm no pro.

Thank you. I’ve invested a lot of time to find more consistent movements. I agree that “feel isn’t real” It’s really relative to where it’s changing from. 

I was just curious about the potential reason why I was hitting leading edge.

• Administrator

Your grip is weak in both hands and the toe hangs down quite a bit at the top so unless you palmar flex you’re going to leave the face open and hit pushes and cuts and slices.

You stand a bit too close to the ball with the club too vertical as well, which also indicates a palmy grip.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Your grip is weak in both hands and the toe hangs down quite a bit at the top so unless you palmar flex you’re going to leave the face open and hit pushes and cuts and slices.

You stand a bit too close to the ball with the club too vertical as well, which also indicates a palmy grip.

Based on these swings these are the most pressing issues that you see?

how would you go about getting the faces closed?

54 minutes ago, BallCoach702 said:

how would you go about getting the faces closed?

Start in the set up. Get left hand fingers more on the grip, stand a little further from ball and feel the chest bend over a little more.
To get the face parallel to lead arm at the top of the backswing (square to closed face), you could make grip stronger or work on bowing the wrist.  I'd say get grip a little stronger. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

12 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Start in the set up. Get left hand fingers more on the grip, stand a little further from ball and feel the chest bend over a little more.
To get the face parallel to lead arm at the top of the backswing (square to closed face), you could make grip stronger or work on bowing the wrist.  I'd say get grip a little stronger. 

I see what your saying. Could you explain how backing away front the ball and bending more would provide a benefit?

Second question, I’ve really tried to focus on having a better path to the ball that is more inside. With guys that you all teach that struggle coming over the top, is that a swing thought they’ll have forever or is that something they have to practice and it becomes “muscle memory” at some point?

5 minutes ago, BallCoach702 said:

I see what your saying. Could you explain how backing away front the ball and bending more would provide a benefit?

Second question, I’ve really tried to focus on having a better path to the ball that is more inside. With guys that you all teach that struggle coming over the top, is that a swing thought they’ll have forever or is that something they have to practice and it becomes “muscle memory” at some point?

More bend will help with the second question. By standing tall with little lower body rotation/movement, the body is more in the way and hands will tend to go out at the top and get steep coming down.  More spine angle bend and hip turn will create more room for the hands to shallow the club.

Swing thoughts and feels are personal. It'll depend on if you are a visual learner or feel learner. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

2 minutes ago, phillyk said:

More bend will help with the second question. By standing tall with little lower body rotation/movement, the body is more in the way and hands will tend to go out at the top and get steep coming down.  More spine angle bend and hip turn will create more room for the hands to shallow the club.

Swing thoughts and feels are personal. It'll depend on if you are a visual learner or feel learner. 

Thank you! That makes sense. I’m swinging Srixon 785’s and was recently fitted at 3/4” longer than standard. I have noticed being much more upright than my old crappy clubs that were standard length.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, BallCoach702 said:

Fix the grip first, yes.

Then play/practice for a bit, and let's see where we are then.

Note: This thread is 1258 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!