IGNORED

Best irons for a senior with a slow swing speed?

When Golf Galaxy opens back up, if it hasn't already to walk in customers where you are at, I would recommend to go and hit some clubs to get a feel for what you are looking for and talk to the folks working there.  It's hard to say if each store is good, but talking to them will give you an idea if that person knows what they are talking about.  If they don't, at least you'll have an opportunity to hit different clubs and shafts.

• Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I bought a new set of Tour Edge HL 3s (last year's model) for $ 235 at Rock Bottom Golf. Wasn't going to buy irons, but I love T.E. stuff and couldn't resist. They are iron-woods similar to the Cleveland, etc. I love them! Incredible- easiest to hit ever.  Try those and thank me later.

On 6/10/2020 at 4:29 PM, redhotchlypeppr said:

Any suggestions on where to get fitted? There is a Golf Galaxy about an hour from us. Has anyone used Golf Galaxy?

I don't think he needs to be fitted. I'd recommend the HB or HB Turbos. I have one of the originals HB3 and still love them. They are easy to hit. If there's any fault, they are a bit hook biased. You can't really screw up any shots. But, it doesn't feel like cheating either. I've demo'd the Turbos and they are longer than the HB3. 

Demo days are a lot of fun and a great way to check out these clubs.

https://www.clevelandgolf.com/en/event-days.html

Edited by Sandhills Golfe

I'm crowding 71 years old, and have what's considered a slow swing speed. 

If I had to pick a new set of clubs (irons) for myself, I'd look at the Tour Edge line of Ironwoods. I think they still have these hybrids available. 

I have an older set of Ironwoods, which I hit higher than my current regular gamers. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• Support TST Affiliates

TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
    • Played my first full 18 today. 😁   I can now answer the poll. 😃
    • After shouting a 98 today (under 100 -- 1st time ever!) and feeling I could've done much better... Day 8: Practiced with irons... specifically focusing on setup and tempo (30 min). Here's a typical view I had of the pin today.
    • 91 today playing Falling Creek from the whites (69.2/120 just under 6,100yds).  The weather was fantastic so it was great to be out there again.  With the rain last night, knew the greens would be a touch slower today so it was not as crazy on the putting today as was a couple weeks back when I was at this course.  Nothing to brag about in terms of stats, just a good round of golf.  Biggest surprise hole of the day was the long par 3 #5 (199 from the whites).  A threesome was just ahead of me and as I was solo, they let me play through.  Great - now an audience, but I just acted like they were my son and grandson.  As the flag was marked in the front of the green, I took the advice of the guy I played with a couple weeks back to just get the ball to the front of the green.  As 199 is pretty much my max for a 3w, I figured that I should be able to hit it solid and let it roll out onto the green.  Shot went as planned and when I got to the green could not find the ball in front of or just on the green.  Could it be that I have my first ace?  Nope - cup is empty and that is when I look up at the very  back of the green.   There the ball sits about 2' from rolling off the back.  Now it is a matter of just getting it back down to the hole.  An easy putt off the back fringe and the ball rolls down the hill to stop about 7' from the hole.  Wound up two putting from there and left with a bogie.  It felt good to think my way through.  Ended the round partnering up with a couple of young guys to finish out the last four holes.  A good way to end the round.   
    • Have to second that one.... Also I have worked hard to get weight on the front foot (have said too many times how this has been my nemesis as I lost all toes and skin on my left foot in a 2016 motorcycle wreck, there is grafted "paper thin" skin there now, so breakdowns can happen quickly).  To help with that I have worked hard on better swing mechanics and worked to apply the principles of LSW.  One thing is sure, the more GIR's you have the lower the score will typically be.  Also nGIR's are key as well, which means I spend a lot of time in the backyard working on three shot types - a wedge pitch shot, an iron bump and run and putter off the fringe.    Started the season somewhere just over 20 and per the latest from my Garmin Approach S20, it is just over 16.   
    • The trouble with watching Youtube videos is you can watch 10 of them and get ten different opinions and tips for the same thing.  In-person lessons take into account your individual swing needs.
  • Today's Birthdays

1. Nevsteve
      Nevsteve
      (62 years old)
    2. Pab4141
      Pab4141
      (28 years old)
    3. rdpoffenberger
      rdpoffenberger
      (36 years old)
    4. Salem Golfer
      Salem Golfer
      (56 years old)
    5. stothemc
      stothemc
      (38 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...