IGNORED

Best irons for a senior with a slow swing speed?

Note: This thread is 1403 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi Everyone. I am trying to find a new set of irons for my father. Hes about 5'6 and can drive the ball around 200 yards. He has some issues getting his irons up in the air and most of his shots land short. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for him? I'd like him to be able to get his irons back up in the air and add some distance. Does anyone have experience with a hybrid iron set? Are these good for seniors? Also, we don't have access to any club fitters where we live. Is it possible to get fitted online these days? Thanks!

I played one round with a set of Cleveland Launchers. I was very impressed. I found them stupid simple to line up and hit straight. They flew plenty high. 

There are those who say the hybrid irons "Don't spin enough". I think that's a bunch of hoey hoey. In my experience I get about x spin for y distance no matter what brand/model of irons I hit. (Yeah, I've got nothing to back this up but I'm going to type it anyway....) The spin is dictated more by where on the face you hit it and the loft of the club. The design of the club may change the spin a couple hundred rpm but no more. ... eh, maybe wet vs dry golf balls may make a difference too.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

26 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I played one round with a set of Cleveland Launchers. I was very impressed. I found them stupid simple to line up and hit straight. They flew plenty high. 

There are those who say the hybrid irons "Don't spin enough". I think that's a bunch of hoey hoey. In my experience I get about x spin for y distance no matter what brand/model of irons I hit. (Yeah, I've got nothing to back this up but I'm going to type it anyway....) The spin is dictated more by where on the face you hit it and the loft of the club. The design of the club may change the spin a couple hundred rpm but no more. ... eh, maybe wet vs dry golf balls may make a difference too.

Good to know. I was looking at the Clevelands. There doesn't seem to be too many options in the hybrid iron market.

Just now, redhotchlypeppr said:

Good to know. I was looking at the Clevelands. There doesn't seem to be too many options in the hybrid iron market.

Last year's Cleveland Launchers HBs are almost identical to this year's Cleveland Launcher Turbos. 

There are also:

• Cobra T-Rails
  • Wilson Launch Pads
  • Tour Edge Hot-Launch Iron Woods. 

Probably others too. But those are the ones I'm aware of. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

A senior player I know likes to buy clubs from Callaway Pre-Own. He said they offer great prices/condition, trade-in value and returns if you don’t like the clubs. He is constantly swapping club through the program.

14 minutes ago, redhotchlypeppr said:

i guess my question now is, are these hybrid iron sets actually worth it? will they truly give a senior more distance and height? are there any alternatives?

It’s much more about the shaft than the club head. If you can tolerate the atrocity Cleveland has created with club heads power to ya. But you’ll find the shaft is a major factor in tailoring a club that works for you.🙂

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

34 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

It’s much more about the shaft than the club head. If you can tolerate the atrocity Cleveland has created with club heads power to ya. But you’ll find the shaft is a major factor in tailoring a club that works for you.🙂

do you mean Cleveland in general or are you referring to their hybrid iron set?

1 hour ago, redhotchlypeppr said:

do you mean Cleveland in general or are you referring to their hybrid iron set?

Voss, Launcher, and their hybrids are abominations of golf design...lol. Now hybrids you may find to be easier to hit than irons. Some don’t like them and prefer irons. I’m just saying that with today’s technology irons are well designed to help with launch and distance. With today’s technology combined with a proper shaft I think you’d find a set that does you well.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Essentially it comes down to shaft.  But there are two types of iron heads that will work.  One is the SGI type which promote High Launch.  The other is a hybrid type.  Which one suits your fathers eye can only be dictated by him.  But ideally a mixed set of hybrids in the longer clubs and irons in the shorter ones

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

10 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

This.....

8 hours ago, redhotchlypeppr said:

i guess my question now is, are these hybrid iron sets actually worth it? will they truly give a senior more distance and height? are there any alternatives?

The Cleveland HB's are so easy to hit.

BUT

If your father is a lousy ball strike......r no club will help...you just can't buy a game...otherwise every golfer would be a low cap.....maybe your father can be better served with lessons.

How old is your father?

I played with a guy on Friday who had a lousy tee game. Mine was bad too on Friday. My iron game wasn't doing too well. I made an offhand remark that "I see a set of HB Turbos in my future." Then I noticed a Cleveland HB Turbo in his hand. He'd just hit a lousy shot that landed on the green from about 150 yds.

I asked him "so you play HB Turbos? How do you like them?"

"I love them."

"What do you love about them?"

"That shot right there."

He'd been hitting what I'd call mediocre shots. He had three pars and a birdie on the front 9. I guess if you get them, enjoy the lower scores.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

On 6/3/2020 at 4:41 PM, redhotchlypeppr said:

so what im picking up is that the shafts are more important for getting the ball up in the air, rather than the clubs? in that case, anyone have shaft recommendations?

I just think the modern clubs are really designed to get the ball in the air ( SGI) especially. I don’t think you have to go for the HB Turbo style clubs/Hybrids if you pair your SGI Irons with the right shaft. But hey, if you like the Hybrids by all means go for it. I personally would rather use gardening tools over those.😃

On 6/7/2020 at 11:39 PM, Vinsk said:

I just think the modern clubs are really designed to get the ball in the air ( SGI) especially. I don’t think you have to go for the HB Turbo style clubs/Hybrids if you pair your SGI Irons with the right shaft. But hey, if you like the Hybrids by all means go for it. I personally would rather use gardening tools over those.😃

Where can I find info on how to get right shafts for slow swing speeds? I don't even know where to start. 

I'm 68 years old, had three back surgeries and so I struggled with my irons same as your dad. I bought a set of Cleveland HB Launchers, 4 through gap wedge. I purchased them because I always hit my hybrids well so I figured why now, I also saw a Mark Crossfield review on YouTube. I really like them, they get the ball up quickly, i.e., they do launch the ball, but I have found that I need to club up from my Cobras. Now I don't know if that is because the lofts are different or my dynamic loft has change with the Launchers. 

Regards his height and fitting, you may want to invest some time and call Cleveland or a good pro shop, even if you can't get an actual in person fitting they still may be able to give you a static fitting, maybe shorten the clubs a little based on his measurements.

1 hour ago, redhotchlypeppr said:

Where can I find info on how to get right shafts for slow swing speeds? I don't even know where to start. 

There are so many options and they differ among different manufacturers. This is why it’s always best to hit a club and see what your results are with a monitor. Regular flex in one brand may be stiff in another. Generally people who swing a driver over 93mph will go stiff or more. But that’s very generalized. Shafts can make a big difference in how you perform. Especially with weight and flex. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1403 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!