IGNORED

Taking a Divot??

Note: This thread is 1370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Piece of cake.  Set up improperly...take the club back beyond parallel...pause to collect your thoughts...then swing as hard as you can while keeping your lower half frozen in place.  Concentrate on a spot roughly two inches behind the ball and bring the club down as steep as you can.  If you are successful in resisting the impulse to straighten up...this procedure will produce an outstanding divot.  Good luck.

• Like 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, Piz said:

Piece of cake.  Set up improperly...take the club back beyond parallel...pause to collect your thoughts...then swing as hard as you can while keeping your lower half frozen in place.  Concentrate on a spot roughly two inches behind the ball and bring the club down as steep as you can.  If you are successful in resisting the impulse to straighten up...this procedure will produce an outstanding divot.  Good luck.

Lol.  

Why is your priority on taking a divot?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Kidding aside...if you want to take a divot, after impact, you have to move the bottom of your swing arc forward of the ball.  One way to practice visualizing this concept is to place a small monetarily insignificant object in front of the golf ball and think about sending the penny, the peanut, the dried fig...whatever...down range while ignoring to ball.  Another way is to think about making contact with the front, rather than the back, of the ball.  The idea is that the ball is not the target object of your swing...it's just in the way and can be ignored.

• Thumbs Up 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

51 minutes ago, imgoinhungry said:

Ball first, followed by divot, right?  I never take a divot.  A lot of thin and topped shots.  

Okay, that's my fault for asking the question so poorly. 

It sounds to me like your goal is to improve your ball striking (a very good goal! Mine too!), and you're viewing taking a divot as the means to improve.  I think a better bet for you is to improve your ball striking, which may result in more divots (it did for me).  But, given the choice between "improved ball striking, but no divots" and "divots, but the same quality ball striking overall" you'd pick the former. 

Is this accurate? 

If so, I have two suggestions.  First, check out the instructional content page if you haven't already:

Unfortunately, those links aren't organized at the moment by topic (putting, ball striking, etc), but items 2 and 3 from the top and the third from the bottom are good places to start.

Second suggestion:  read about the "Member swings" area and post your own.  Read the directions carefully, because the way you set up your video will affect the quality of advice you get.  But if you set it up well, you'll get great advice, including from some professionals who frequent the site. 

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/forum/13-member-swings/

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

18 hours ago, Piz said:

Kidding aside...if you want to take a divot, after impact, you have to move the bottom of your swing arc forward of the ball.  One way to practice visualizing this concept is to place a small monetarily insignificant object in front of the golf ball and think about sending the penny, the peanut, the dried fig...whatever...down range while ignoring to ball.  Another way is to think about making contact with the front, rather than the back, of the ball.  The idea is that the ball is not the target object of your swing...it's just in the way and can be ignored.

I have definitely been focusing on the ball too much.  Thanks for the advice!

• iacas changed the title to Taking a Divot??
Note: This thread is 1370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!