Jump to content
GEC

SkyTrak or Similar Using Foam Balls

10 posts / 862 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

I have been using foam balls due to physical set up and kids using my Optishot.  Trying not to destroy my house.  I am considering going to a more advanced launch monitor like Skytrack but want to continue to use foam balls or similar softer ball.  Will the tracking be as accurate any suggestions as to what monitor will track these types of balls?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a Mevo+ in similar circumstances at home. Hitting outside into a net, Real Golf balls are a NO.

I prefer Almost Golf balls, not sure they are still in business. Restricted flight work on Mevo+ and E6C.

I have various other practice balls, I find Birdie balls will not register on the Mevo+. I have more testing to do with Birdie and other practice golf balls, But I have plenty of Almost Golf Balls so there is no real rush. There was a thread on here during the Corona outbreak on different practice Golf Balls, which was quite interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2020 at 8:42 AM, GEC said:

I have been using foam balls due to physical set up and kids using my Optishot.  Trying not to destroy my house.  I am considering going to a more advanced launch monitor like Skytrack but want to continue to use foam balls or similar softer ball.  Will the tracking be as accurate any suggestions as to what monitor will track these types of balls?

Pretty sure the monitor will be accurately telling you how far and high you hit a foam ball. Don't know what that is worth unless you have some sort of conversion table of foam to real golf balls.

In all seriousness, you need real golf balls with any of these systems as they are measuring the ball data and have preset info set into them so foam will most likely confuse them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for replying to my question.... I thought Optishot measured the clubs moving across sensors and Skytrack tracked the actual ball...but wondered if there was a more accurate tracking of clubs..so I could continue to use foam or less destructive balls in the house 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GEC said:

Thanks for replying to my question.... I thought Optishot measured the clubs moving across sensors and Skytrack tracked the actual ball...but wondered if there was a more accurate tracking of clubs..so I could continue to use foam or less destructive balls in the house 

This is true.

Optishot will work equally well with foam balls and real balls. Optishot only tracks your club head. I've used Optishot and it's fun. I would say its fun in a lot of the same way as Wii Golf is fun. Yes, if you hit a gross slice or hook, Optishot will tell you that you just hit a gross slice or hook. But it's not real good at the height thing. As a matter of fact, you can top the bejesus out of the ball and it often doesn't even notice. I suspect Optishot may actually work without a ball, but I've not actually tried that. 

SkyTrak, on the other hand, as well as Mevo and others literally tracks the ball. SkyTrak takes 2 really fast pictures of the ball from the side view, does some math and shows you a shot on the screen. Foam balls absolutely will yield weirdo results. Mevo tracks the flight of the ball with Radar. Mevo will not work with foam balls either. 

I hope this helps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

SkyTrak takes 2 really fast pictures of the ball from the side view, does some math and shows you a shot on the screen. Foam balls absolutely will yield weirdo results. Mevo tracks the flight of the ball with Radar. Mevo will not work with foam balls either.

While I completely agree with the Mevo comment, I am not sure about SkyTrak, since it really just takes pictures at impact. You might lose some yardage based on the ball not leaving the face quite as hot, but I don't think it will be completely junk. It might be like 25% difference, which wont help with your gapping, but it should give you a pretty good idea of how you are coming through the ball. Note: this is completely conjecture as I haven't tried it. Just how it works in my mind.

Bonus: I looked up foam and skytrak on youtube, and found a vid with the almost ball. Verdict: 20 mph slower with driver....yadda yadda yadda

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

While I completely agree with the Mevo comment, I am not sure about SkyTrak, since it really just takes pictures at impact. You might lose some yardage based on the ball not leaving the face quite as hot, but I don't think it will be completely junk. It might be like 25% difference, which wont help with your gapping, but it should give you a pretty good idea of how you are coming through the ball. Note: this is completely conjecture as I haven't tried it. Just how it works in my mind.

Bonus: I looked up foam and skytrak on youtube, and found a vid with the almost ball. Verdict: 20 mph slower with driver....yadda yadda yadda

 

Cool.

I suppose it depends what results you are trying to achieve. Thanks, for looking this up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you for that very informative video,  it will work with Skytrack but need to club up due to the ball...I appreciate the info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, GEC said:

Thank you for that very informative video,  it will work with Skytrack but need to club up due to the ball...I appreciate the info.

Yeah. I am not sure about other foam balls, since the almost balls have dimples. Another thing, there might be a way to manipulate the program being used (maybe with an elevation or percentage change) to where you could still hit your normal club from its normal distance. I am not sure on this because I haven't seen the software in person, but this may make it very playable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 6/29/2020 at 8:42 AM, GEC said:

I have been using foam balls due to physical set up and kids using my Optishot.  Trying not to destroy my house.  I am considering going to a more advanced launch monitor like Skytrack but want to continue to use foam balls or similar softer ball.  Will the tracking be as accurate any suggestions as to what monitor will track these types of balls?

I wouldn't use foam balls.  Get a mat and a good net for use with the simulator.  I do the same with my set up at home.IMG_4198.thumb.JPG.71bd12dbe1b3b113667ab939680ada84.JPG

IMG_4200.thumb.JPG.0778c769bdbd23f5dd839b59be47782a.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...