IGNORED

SkyTrak or Similar Using Foam Balls

GEC
Note: This thread is 1393 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been using foam balls due to physical set up and kids using my Optishot.  Trying not to destroy my house.  I am considering going to a more advanced launch monitor like Skytrack but want to continue to use foam balls or similar softer ball.  Will the tracking be as accurate any suggestions as to what monitor will track these types of balls?

I use a Mevo+ in similar circumstances at home. Hitting outside into a net, Real Golf balls are a NO.

I prefer Almost Golf balls, not sure they are still in business. Restricted flight work on Mevo+ and E6C.

I have various other practice balls, I find Birdie balls will not register on the Mevo+. I have more testing to do with Birdie and other practice golf balls, But I have plenty of Almost Golf Balls so there is no real rush. There was a thread on here during the Corona outbreak on different practice Golf Balls, which was quite interesting.

On 6/29/2020 at 8:42 AM, GEC said:

I have been using foam balls due to physical set up and kids using my Optishot.  Trying not to destroy my house.  I am considering going to a more advanced launch monitor like Skytrack but want to continue to use foam balls or similar softer ball.  Will the tracking be as accurate any suggestions as to what monitor will track these types of balls?

Pretty sure the monitor will be accurately telling you how far and high you hit a foam ball. Don't know what that is worth unless you have some sort of conversion table of foam to real golf balls.

In all seriousness, you need real golf balls with any of these systems as they are measuring the ball data and have preset info set into them so foam will most likely confuse them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for replying to my question.... I thought Optishot measured the clubs moving across sensors and Skytrack tracked the actual ball...but wondered if there was a more accurate tracking of clubs..so I could continue to use foam or less destructive balls in the house 

3 hours ago, GEC said:

Thanks for replying to my question.... I thought Optishot measured the clubs moving across sensors and Skytrack tracked the actual ball...but wondered if there was a more accurate tracking of clubs..so I could continue to use foam or less destructive balls in the house 

This is true.

Optishot will work equally well with foam balls and real balls. Optishot only tracks your club head. I've used Optishot and it's fun. I would say its fun in a lot of the same way as Wii Golf is fun. Yes, if you hit a gross slice or hook, Optishot will tell you that you just hit a gross slice or hook. But it's not real good at the height thing. As a matter of fact, you can top the bejesus out of the ball and it often doesn't even notice. I suspect Optishot may actually work without a ball, but I've not actually tried that. 

SkyTrak, on the other hand, as well as Mevo and others literally tracks the ball. SkyTrak takes 2 really fast pictures of the ball from the side view, does some math and shows you a shot on the screen. Foam balls absolutely will yield weirdo results. Mevo tracks the flight of the ball with Radar. Mevo will not work with foam balls either. 

I hope this helps. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

SkyTrak takes 2 really fast pictures of the ball from the side view, does some math and shows you a shot on the screen. Foam balls absolutely will yield weirdo results. Mevo tracks the flight of the ball with Radar. Mevo will not work with foam balls either.

While I completely agree with the Mevo comment, I am not sure about SkyTrak, since it really just takes pictures at impact. You might lose some yardage based on the ball not leaving the face quite as hot, but I don't think it will be completely junk. It might be like 25% difference, which wont help with your gapping, but it should give you a pretty good idea of how you are coming through the ball. Note: this is completely conjecture as I haven't tried it. Just how it works in my mind.

Bonus: I looked up foam and skytrak on youtube, and found a vid with the almost ball. Verdict: 20 mph slower with driver....yadda yadda yadda

• Thumbs Up 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

• iacas changed the title to SkyTrak or Similar Using Foam Balls
10 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

While I completely agree with the Mevo comment, I am not sure about SkyTrak, since it really just takes pictures at impact. You might lose some yardage based on the ball not leaving the face quite as hot, but I don't think it will be completely junk. It might be like 25% difference, which wont help with your gapping, but it should give you a pretty good idea of how you are coming through the ball. Note: this is completely conjecture as I haven't tried it. Just how it works in my mind.

Bonus: I looked up foam and skytrak on youtube, and found a vid with the almost ball. Verdict: 20 mph slower with driver....yadda yadda yadda

Cool.

I suppose it depends what results you are trying to achieve. Thanks, for looking this up. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

40 minutes ago, GEC said:

Thank you for that very informative video,  it will work with Skytrack but need to club up due to the ball...I appreciate the info.

Yeah. I am not sure about other foam balls, since the almost balls have dimples. Another thing, there might be a way to manipulate the program being used (maybe with an elevation or percentage change) to where you could still hit your normal club from its normal distance. I am not sure on this because I haven't seen the software in person, but this may make it very playable.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

On 6/29/2020 at 8:42 AM, GEC said:

I wouldn't use foam balls.  Get a mat and a good net for use with the simulator.  I do the same with my set up at home.IMG_4198.thumb.JPG.71bd12dbe1b3b113667ab939680ada84.JPG

IMG_4200.thumb.JPG.0778c769bdbd23f5dd839b59be47782a.JPG

Note: This thread is 1393 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!