IGNORED

Green-side Chips

Note: This thread is 5893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I had a pretty good round of golf today but I noticed that my green side chipping was nothing short of spotty. I'd either skull it across the green or chunk it 3 feet. To be completely honest, I don't really know what to do. I was using a pitching wedge because it was either that or my sand wedge with this beginner set I'm replacing soon. Now I'm about a 25 handicap, haven't been playing for long, if that helps.

What I need to know is how do I grip the club? How do I swing it? What type of stance do I take? I've been choking down on it somewhat, gripping it normally, and trying to do this straight back and forward "down-and-through" motion, with the ball in the back of my stance, but it's just not working. I'm not getting the contact I need because I feel like i'm not making a swing, I'm try to just "hit the ball" which, again, leads to slapping the club in to the ground behind it.

Edit: Having the most trouble doing short chips from fairway or any short cut grass, anywhere from 1 - 5 yards out where I generally try to do a bump-and-run technique with just enough air to clear the grass and let it check and release on the green if possible.

In the bag:

Driver: R580 9.5* Stiff
3 Wood: SQ Sumo 2 15* Stiff
Irons 4-PW/AW/SW: Big Bertha 2008 SteelPutter: 2-BallBalls: Pro-V1

I had a pretty good round of golf today but I noticed that my green side chipping was nothing short of spotty. I'd either skull it across the green or chunk it 3 feet. To be completely honest, I don't really know what to do. I was using a pitching wedge (I'll be getting a Gap wedge soon!) because it was either that or my sand wedge. Now I'm about a 25 handicap, haven't been playing for long, if that helps.

Are you in the rough or in short grass? If I'm in short grass and can putt it, I do. Pretend the hole is a bit farther away than it actually is, but you can putt from well off the green. I even saw someone once putt out of a green-side bunker!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A lot depends on your lie etc... play the ball far back enough that you will hit the ball first and follow through into the ground if you swing with your arms relaxed and hanging. Narrow open stance with toes pointed forward. you MUST keep weight on the left side, and you must try to keep your lower body "quiet" while turning your shoulders.

Get Pelz's Bible... it has really helped me.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

fringe, rough, deep rough, slope lie and approach are all of the things you need to consider. Can you give us a description of what you were facing, maybe you were just sitting there and saying “ WTF?”

fringe, rough, deep rough, slope lie and approach are all of the things you need to consider. Can you give us a description of what you were facing, maybe you were just sitting there and saying “ WTF?”

It was usually right out of the fairway or short cut grass leading to the green.

In the bag:

Driver: R580 9.5* Stiff
3 Wood: SQ Sumo 2 15* Stiff
Irons 4-PW/AW/SW: Big Bertha 2008 SteelPutter: 2-BallBalls: Pro-V1

The #1 problem I see with people struggling with chipping is that they are trying to "help" or scoop the ball on the green. You should always strike down at a golf ball...not try and scoop it up.

One other thing to watch, as if you weren't confused enough, is that you accelerate or keep the speed continuous of the clubhead. Too many high-handicappers decelerate through the ball. This is a big no-no. Fred Couples, in his prime years, could decelerate wherever he chipped from...but Fred, we are not.

Just some other thoughts to chew on. Pro's a great at chipping because they can control trajectory and spin. The only way you can a decent amount of spin on the ball is by striking down and, relatively hard...not by being soft and scooping.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had a pretty good round of golf today but I noticed that my green side chipping was nothing short of spotty. I'd either skull it across the green or chunk it 3 feet. To be completely honest, I don't really know what to do. I was using a pitching wedge because it was either that or my sand wedge with this beginner set I'm replacing soon. Now I'm about a 25 handicap, haven't been playing for long, if that helps.

I'll recommend one thing.

Play the ball behind the center of your stance and put most of your weight on the left side. The idea is to set up so you have to hit the ball first and hit down on it. Move the ball back in your stance as far as you need to. You don't have to do anything weird but "stiff arming" it with your left hand will keep you from flipping the club up and blading it. Don't overdo the "stiff" thing. That's an expression I learned from an old pro. The idea is to lead the entire shot with your left hand and a stable wrist. You can practice this on any carpet. Your only objective at this point would be hitting the ball before the sole hits the carpet.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

The main thing I concentrate on when playing the shot you are describing is to keep your weight on your left side alot of the other stuff takes care of itself. Also, play the ball off of your right foot's instep to get the proper "pinch" on the ball to produce the spin you are talking about. Third, like the post above said, keep your left wrist firm and don't let it break or "flip" during the followthrough. Good luck!
In my Vantage bag:
Driver::905R 8.5*(V2)
3 Wood:Launcher 13*(V2)
Irons:AP2 (Project X 5.5) (3-W)
HybridTWS 19*Gap wedge:CG15 50* Sand wedge:CG15 56*Putter:: XG9 (35")Ball:ProV1X

Hitting the ball first then the ground.
Like others have said, move the ball back in your stance.
Don't worry about getting the ball into the air, there is enough loft on the short irons to do that.
You want to think of trapping or pinching the ball between the clubface and the ground. This should get you hitting the ball first and getting reliable contact.

Note: This thread is 5893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!