Arob9201

Losing Focus at the Range/ Lessons - Anyone Else?

4 posts / 551 viewsLast Reply

Hello, 

This is the first season of golf I've taken seriously and broke 100 for the first time. I have been hitting fat all season but recently came across a post on here by an instructor about sliding the hips or bumping them to start the downswing. I have been doing this with a lot of success and finally feel like I have a fluid swing. Unfortunately, I had a lesson the other day with my instructor and the first 20 or so balls I was hitting everything fine utilizing the hip slide or bump. After the first 20 I literally couldn't stop topping the ball. I lost full composure and seemingly didn't understand how to start the downswing again. Does this every happen to you guys? Does the hip slide or bump require I keep my arms loose and almost passive? I feel that when I get fatigued, I have a hard time consistently getting this move down. Anyone have advice? 

8 hours ago, Arob9201 said:

I lost full composure and seemingly didn't understand how to start the downswing again. Does this every happen to you guys? Does the hip slide or bump require I keep my arms loose and almost passive? I feel that when I get fatigued, I have a hard time consistently getting this move down. Anyone have advice? 

Depends on the golfer. Some might feel like getting the arms down sooner will help. Others might feel the hips. It's what ever feel works to produce a consistent swing. 

If you want specific advice, post a video of your swing (create a My Swing thread). 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you find yourself losing focus on the range, change up what you're doing.

I can get more out of a 15-minute range session than many people can get out of an hour or 70 balls.

When I find myself losing interest on the d-range, i either quit for the day, or go to the short game area. 

Practice with out thought is a waste of time. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• TST Affiliates

SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
    • I’ll give you a little inside information. The ZX series of irons, woods, hybrids, and utilities will be released in the US in January 2021. (You may be able to procure a set from Europe prior to then, but I don’t really want to pay an import fee). First welcome to TST. Secondly what exactly are you looking for when it comes to ball-flight. I play C-Taper 125S in my irons to try to bring my ball flight down, but I still have 110 foot peak height, who would have thunk it. Here’s an out of the box suggestion that might help your decision, see if you can find a 7-iron 785 head on EBay (I’m not sure you can but it’s worth a shot), or buy 2 identical Maltby TE Forged 7-irons, if they have Project X get one with 6.5 hard-stepped and one with 7.0 soft-stepped. Go to the range and see if you notice a difference. Most importantly. It’s probably not that big of a deal at our handicap level. We can shoot 85 about as easily as we can shoot 70. Sharpen your tools and learn to play boring golf. It’ll change the way you play the game.
    • Recently I have been doing something I haven’t done in a while. Avoiding blow-up rounds. I have been playing the kind of golf I’ve wanted to always play. Boring. Pedestrian. Stay out of the shit, call the zoo kind of rounds. Ho-hum kind of golf. The last round I shot in the 80s was in August and that was an 81. My last five rounds have been 73, 76, 78, 73, 71. The last one was pretty boring. I had back to back bogeys on the 2nd and 3rd holes, then birdied the 5th and 6th (pedestrian birdie at 5, 2 putt at the par 5 after a 3-wood on the green straight into the fan from 235 yards) Nearly drove the 395-yard 6th (relax it was straight downwind and as the crow flies its only 340), got up and down for birdie. Then made 12 boring pars in a row for an even-par 71. 12 GIR, 18 nGiR, putted average. I guess I’ve learned how to be that boring golfer. I’ve been fighting a bit of a hook, so I said, “The hell with it, it’s what I’ve got. I’ll just adjust my target accordingly”. I guess having a one-way miss is a good problem to have.
    • Day 121.  More carpet putting;  ruler, putter, real balls.  Getting some decent speed ones past the 36" marker consistently. 
    • Day 48 - Moved my mat indoors, took some swings working on my new setup. 
  • TST Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. Aldo Aitken
      Aldo Aitken
      (30 years old)
    2. Also Aitken
      Also Aitken
      (30 years old)
    3. CJK
      CJK
      (62 years old)
    4. Coffin-dodger
      Coffin-dodger
      (70 years old)
    5. Greg55
      Greg55
      (65 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...