IGNORED

Some Guidance on New Iron Purchase…

Fraser
Note: This thread is 1290 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Former participant back again after a few years break...

So I'm trying to find the wood from the trees here, if you'll pardon the pun....I've had the same Mizuno T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons since about 1999...yes, 1999. They're graphite shaft, which caused much amusement from the staff at my PGA Superstore when one of the shafts broke and I had to get it replaced. I hit them rather well and with fairly solid distance, about 150yrds for an 8 iron, 170yrds for 7 iron for example. However, I can't help but feel I may be losing something from my game by not bringing my clubs into, literally, this millennium. 

I've had family members give me PGA Superstore giftcards slowly over the last few years and am probably ready to shell out about $1000 or so for some irons. However with so many brands and options out there I'm just at a loss about where to even start. 

I'm not a fan of hybrids or woods much "shorter" than a 3 wood because I do like my irons so would be looking for something close to the 3-SW arrangement I have now but it seems so many club sets don't go out to that. I mean, back when I got these as a teenager it was blades or cavity backs with the former being for lower handicap players.

The obvious here is to just go and hit some clubs and see which ones I like best but I feel I have to attempt to narrow the field somewhat or at least go into my visit with some kind of strategy. Any thoughts on where to start here?

Thanks!

Fraser 

In the Matrix XTT Standbag:

Driver: Biggest Big Bertha 11*
Fairway Wood: Steelhead Plus 3 Wood
Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

Both me and my dad were fit for new irons and it was an eye opening experience for me. Prior to being fit I did not realize how much there is to gain (or lose) from changing shaft flex, shaft weight, swing weight, club head weight, club height center of gravity.... What ended up being a perfect fit for me was on the totally opposite end of the spectrum from what worked for my dad. I loved the look of the Mizuno's that he ended up with, but for whatever reason with my swing they just didn't feel right or perform as well as others for me. 

My advice would be to go into it with an open mind. Yes you want something that looks good to you when you address the ball but also trust what the launch monitor tells you. 

Good luck and happy shopping!

• Thumbs Up 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, chicub15 said:

Both me and my dad were fit for new irons and it was an eye opening experience for me. Prior to being fit I did not realize how much there is to gain (or lose) from changing shaft flex, shaft weight, swing weight, club head weight, club height center of gravity.... What ended up being a perfect fit for me was on the totally opposite end of the spectrum from what worked for my dad. I loved the look of the Mizuno's that he ended up with, but for whatever reason with my swing they just didn't feel right or perform as well as others for me. 

My advice would be to go into it with an open mind. Yes you want something that looks good to you when you address the ball but also trust what the launch monitor tells you. 

Good luck and happy shopping!

This is excellent advise from @chicub15.   When I bought new clubs my clubs were about 8 years old.    I'll echo exactly what chicub15 stated, go in with no expectations and let the numbers tell you which clubs to buy.  

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

8 hours ago, Fraser said:

The obvious here is to just go and hit some clubs and see which ones I like best but I feel I have to attempt to narrow the field somewhat or at least go into my visit with some kind of strategy

Hello and welcome back to TST! All good advice so far. But having an open mind doesn’t really help with narrowing the field..lol. First, you can’t go wrong with Mizuno. Mizuno has made some amazing irons since 1999. So have all the other big brands. 
I’m sure you have a few specifics you’d like to have such as top line thick or thin, cavity back/MB, appearance and of course feel. You could always start with hitting the last three years of Mizuno irons and see how it goes.

Have you looked at irons as far as Super Game Improvement, Game Improvement, Player’s distance and Player’s? Based on what  you’re wanting this will narrow the field a bit too. 
Mizuno MP ( 2018-2020)

Callaway Apex, Maverik series.

Titlesit AP 1-2-3, 2020

Taylormade P770 MC/MB

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• iacas changed the title to Some Guidance on New Iron Purchase…
Note: This thread is 1290 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!