IGNORED

Ryke Effect - Is This a Valid Mechanism for Closing the Clubface?

Warlock
Note: This thread is 1226 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here is a video by Kevin Ryan demonstrating something called the 'Ryke Effect'  (a mix of his christian and surname).

He freely admits that he was wrong to infer that the 'effect' increases clubhead speed but he still claims it's a mechanism for closing the clubface . 

I thought that Dr Sasho Mackenzie's 'passive torque' concept (image below) could be a method to close the clubface without excessive muscular forearm rotation but this 'Ryke Effect' has thrown another possible mechanism into the mix .  

What are other members thoughts regarding the 'Ryke Effect' and is it a viable mechanism that could be used to square the clubface in the late downswing?  I am assuming that to evoke the effect requires the upper lead arm to move on a steeper plane relative to the horizontal.

image.jpeg.31b20426ba753fbfce050d67e0e56755.jpeg

Hobby is studying golf biomechanics (especially the kinetics) . No official handicap and play only 7-8  times a year for fun scoring between 81-85 . Don't practice and just use external focus cues to swing with a general appreciation of the physics involved. My favourite golf scientists are Dave Tutelman and Dr Sasho Mackenzie.

• Administrator

I think…

• The takeaway from this video is that perhaps amateurs have a smaller angle and better players have a larger angle (~20°) at impact between the shaft and lead forearm.
  • That the clubhead is pulling quite a bit at the bottom of the swing, which will extend the arms and unhinge the wrists and cause the face to roll that way as well.
  • The Sasho stuff still applies.
  • He could have much better explained why the pendulum rotates "under" instead of over the top. I mean, I know why it does that, but it's rolling the "other" direction - as if you'd be hitting the ball with the back of the clubhead. He could have explained that much better.
  • If you didn't make it past the first bullet point in my list, you're still fine. If you didn't even read that one… You're still fine. Let your instructor worry about this stuff.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1226 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!