IGNORED

Why is there so much tension regarding the Titleist V1 ball?

JYB
Note: This thread is 5903 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
if you ever look at a Titleist ball--all of the dimples are the same shape throughout the ball.

No, they're not. They have 7 different sizes, in fact:

http://www.titleist.com/golfballs/prov1x.asp?spec=1 (or 5 on the Pro V1).
The pro-v1 is the ball that comes off the putter blade the best-through research and design-a typical pro-v1 user will be able to decipher the minute differences in softness and compression between its counterparts

Please stop making claims you know nothing about. You're going to end up with a negative reputation soon.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When i was talking about the dimples i meant that some manufacturers-whenever they produces masses of balls a lot of the balls have an extra amount of cover material that sometimes fills a couple of the dimples---the pro v1 is made soo well that you can't see this extra "paint" in the dimples. Lets credit Titleist with the quality

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

• Administrator
When i was talking about the dimples i meant that some manufacturers-whenever they produces masses of balls a lot of the balls have an extra amount of cover material that sometimes fills a couple of the dimples---the pro v1 is made soo well that you can't see this extra "paint" in the dimples. Lets credit Titleist with the quality

That "extra amount" is where the ball is supported (like with thin little posts or pins) for various processes and has a negligible effect on aerodynamics. In fact, most golf ball companies account for that in their design. It's not a "flaw."

Other companies beat Titleist to the "seamless ball" as well.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Is the golf ball we play a reflection of our skill level or how important golf is to us or our egos? The point I am trying to make is pros equipment is customized to a level most of can't aspire to. I suspect and have read golf rag articles stating that golfers like myself probably can't get extra benefits from high end balls, but on the other hand they don't hurt me. I enjoy playing them occasionally just as a small luxury to enjoy. Just like the forged versus cast debate in clubs or individuals with 20 handicaps playing blades. Sometimes our enjoyment is enhanced by our personal esthetic preferances. Some take pride in their pragmatic approach, some just like being different. When someone disparages our choices since they are tough to justify factually we tend to be resistant. We keep score but lots of other things are going on that impact how we feel about the game.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Yes, the Pro V1 is one of the best balls on the market today as far as playability and quality. There are lots of other balls emerging from other companies that are just as good though. Ball selection is personal choice according to what one looks for from their ball.

The main reason that people see the ball as being the absolute best though is because we are told that it is. Titleist is a HUGE company and their annual profit margins are monstrous. For this reason they can pay professional golfers to use their equipment and say it's the best and they can put out commercials saying that their equipment is #1. They have done this for numerous years now.

If we never saw any TV ads for Titleist and Pinnacle was the one with all the ads and all the touring pros playing it than we would be loving the pinnacle, especially if it cost $50 a dozen because people love to have the most expensive stuff and to have someone say "Wow, you have the best stuff".

I firmly believe that if there was a group of people collected in a variety of handicaps and asked to review "UNMARKED" or logo free balls that most players would not be able to tell the difference between many of the higher priced balls. I know that the Bridgestone B330-S is extremely comparable to the Pro V1.

I play the Pro V1x because it has been my ball of choice for 3 years now. It offers me the distance that I like but more importantly the spin and feel that I enjoy around the greens. I bite test every new make/model of ball that I try and have become very good at finding out the different feeling between golf ball covers. I can honestly say though that with the multitude of new "tour grade" balls being offered to the consumer it really is just a personal choice. Good time to be a golfer!

Titleist 913 D3 10.5*

Adams Super XTD 17*

Adams DHY 21*

TaylorMade TP MB 4-PW

Titleist SM4 54*/58*/62*

Bettinardi SS 11

Leupold GX-3i Rangefinder

Titleist ProV1 Ball

the Pro v1x is a great winter ball, but a little too hard for the summer wouldnt you agree?

Well I don't have any issues using it as long as the course is open, I like to get good bite from my golf balls and not too much spin because 80% of the time I am hitting my wedge shots onto the green before the pin.. so I like it to release just a little bit or bite in. Sometimes I will get brave and put some extra zip on the ball so it comes back a few feet (yes, I have that ability) but judging distance so that I land before the hole works more consistently.

I like the X because it is has a firmer core but still has the soft/durable cover.

Titleist 913 D3 10.5*

Adams Super XTD 17*

Adams DHY 21*

TaylorMade TP MB 4-PW

Titleist SM4 54*/58*/62*

Bettinardi SS 11

Titleist ProV1 Ball

haha, honestly basher... that could be the real reason for why I am a 3 and you are a 5.. I might just get a couple of closer puts per round.. you should think about moving to the X, it still spins.. more than most other balls.. just not as much as the regular ProV.. you know you want to... mmmm.. lower scores... mmmm...

Titleist 913 D3 10.5*

Adams Super XTD 17*

Adams DHY 21*

TaylorMade TP MB 4-PW

Titleist SM4 54*/58*/62*

Bettinardi SS 11

Titleist ProV1 Ball

Who said that there is a common ball for the winter. Theres no such thing as a great winter ball. Ive never heard of a seasonal ball. I must say that the denser the air the less the ball will fly. In that case please use a pro v1with the 392 dimple design as thoroughly opposed to the pro v1x 332 counterpart. Why do you think people were switching balls at the old INTERNATIONAL tournament at Castle Pines in Colorado. It would be pure negligence to choose the pro v1x because the original pro v1 would be more aerodynamic in the dense air At high elevations

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

I can't understand why one side is so anxious to disprove the other sides theories on golf ball technology and behaviour- unless you work in golf technology or for Titleist then butt out of this thread..thats my feeling.

Who said that there is a common ball for the winter. Theres no such thing as a great winter ball. Ive never heard of a seasonal ball. I must say that the denser the air the less the ball will fly. In that case please use a pro v1with the 392 dimple design as thoroughly opposed to the pro v1x 332 counterpart. Why do you think people were switching balls at the old INTERNATIONAL tournament at Castle Pines in Colorado. It would be pure negligence to choose the pro v1x because the original pro v1 would be more aerodynamic in the dense air At high elevations

Am I the only one who is getting tired of postings like this?

r7 425, If you really think that "the original pro v1 would be more aerodynamic in the dense air At high elevations" than that is a nice thought but you are really starting to sound like a tool. You have to realize that we are not all playing on top of mountains and that nobody really cares about that. I know that I wouldn't be rushing into the pro-shop to spend another $50 for a dozen balls just so I could say that my balls aerodynamics are perfect for this golf course elevation.

Titleist 913 D3 10.5*

Adams Super XTD 17*

Adams DHY 21*

TaylorMade TP MB 4-PW

Titleist SM4 54*/58*/62*

Bettinardi SS 11

Titleist ProV1 Ball

the air at higher elevations and higher temperatures is less dense.

Owned. I mean, yeah..

Titleist 913 D3 10.5*

Adams Super XTD 17*

Adams DHY 21*

TaylorMade TP MB 4-PW

Titleist SM4 54*/58*/62*

Bettinardi SS 11

Titleist ProV1 Ball

the air at higher elevations and higher temperatures is less dense.

i meant less dense i was typing to fast-thanks for picking that up because i am an idiot for saying that

Am I the only one who is getting tired of postings like this?

Some people actually do care about that. Theres a lot of golfers in a lot of areas in the world. Why not talk about elevation if we talk about wind and other weather. Elevation makes a huge difference in club selection as well

Note: This thread is 5903 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!