IGNORED

Plane swing, how to get it?

Note: This thread is 5889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have one big trouble, I have the big "8" in my swing that finish in a big slice. Meaning that I hit the ball with an Outside - Inside swing.

In order to fix this, I just buy the Smart Path trainer. Do any one has ever used? Does really help?

Can some one help me with some trainings or excercises that help me get me swing plane?

----------------------------------
In my XXV Anniversary 10.5 Callaway Staff Bag
Driver FT-i 10°
Woods Big Bertha 3, 5, 7

Hybrid 4 X-Hybrid

Irons X-20 5-SW

Wedge 60° X-Tour

Putter Odyssey White steel Tri-Ball SRT

I have one big trouble, I have the big "8" in my swing that finish in a big slice. Meaning that I hit the ball with an Outside - Inside swing.

To get an idea of the proper path take a grip on a flashlight and set up to the edge of a wall or a tile grout line. Take the "club" back so that you trace the edge for several feet and then as you lift your arms the light will be pointed directly behind you (parallel to the wall). Finish you back swing and on the way down swing through the ball with the light path tracing the same path (edge on the wall) until you are pointing the light in front of you (parallel again).

Once you feel that movement turn the light around and swing it the same way this time as you hinge your wrists you should see the beam coming down your line and dissecting your starting point and then at the top of your swing it should be behind you parallel to the wall. Start your swing down with the beam on the same plane. If you really want to be cool get the double laser stick or tape two flashlights together with the lenses opposite each other to get both drills at the same time. Do this in slow motion and then try it with a club. I have a laser pointer that I put on my club and I did this drill today after I got back from the range. I was hitting my 3 wood horribly and with the laser I could see that I was taking the club back too flat (butt laser was way above the ball during the backswing) and then trying to over compensate by coming over the top trying to get the club in position. One minute of this drill and I knew what to do and I worked on getting the laser to pass through the ball position. I hope this helps.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

the best way to correct swing plane is to pick up a pitching wedge and hit shots with it/ just swing it....

you will notice that your swing with the pw is that much steeper than it is with say a 3 iron/driver....doing this helps to even out the plane from excessive steepness or excessive flatness.

Try it- bet it works.

To get an idea of the proper path take a grip on a flashlight and set up to the edge of a wall or a tile grout line. Take the "club" back so that you trace the edge for several feet and then as you lift your arms the light will be pointed directly behind you (parallel to the wall). Finish you back swing and on the way down swing through the ball with the light path tracing the same path (edge on the wall) until you are pointing the light in front of you (parallel again).

great drill! rep point for you.

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

I do the drill with the two tees. For a righty, place one behind right, one in front left. Swing through them. If you swing outside in you will hit the Tees (if you placed them properly)

I would practice with a mirror behind you (make sure you leave plenty of room between you and the mirror). Get some painter's tape and stick it on the mirror at a 45 degree angle (/ for righties, \ for lefties).

Now don't look at the mirror, starting with your normal stance, take the club back and stop when your left arm is roughly parallel to the ground. Look back toward the mirror and check to see if your shaft is parallel to the tape (doesn't have to be right on it). Your club should be parallel to the tape when you stop your back swing at the point when your left arm is roughly parallel to the ground.

Keep doing this until you ingraine where your arms should be relative to the tape - strive to be parallel to the tape.

Note that angles vary slightly but in most cases and for most swings (unless you're Jim Furyk) the club should be parallel to the tape on the mirror. When you go to the range, visualize the position that you hopefully are ingraining in your mind during your backswing. This should help you stay on plane whether you have a one plane or two plane swing (i.e. you might be under the tape on the way back and under the tape on the way down or you could be over the tape on the way back or under the tape on the way down). In either case this drill should help you.

Anyway - hope that helps...happy practicing.

Driver: Ping Rapture V2 9° TFS Stiff | 3 wood: Exotics CB 15° Fujikura HL Stiff | Hybrids: Adams Idea Tech V3 16° Stiff, TM Burner Rescue 19° & 22° REAX Stiff | Irons: Titleist 735.CM DG S300 5-PW | Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 254.10, 258.08 | Putter: Rossa Imola 34"

Here's a quote from my instructor:

"Do you slice? Most golfers do. Even some people who hit the ball right-to-left are just slicers with enough compensation to turn the ball the other way. Believe it or not, fixing a slice is usually pretty easy. Often, one can make a permanent improvement in the first lesson. It’s easy, because there is only one thing that must be done correctly to correct the problem. Most golfers have no idea what it is or how to do it.

Why do you think you slice, because you come ‘over-the-top’? Reverse Pivot? Cut across the ball? ‘Hang back’ on your back foot, etc.?

Nope. You may do one or all of the above, but these ‘flaws’ don’t cause the slice, you do them because you slice.

You slice, because the clubface is too open. Period. Fix the clubface, and the slice goes bye-bye forever. The compensations will often also go away quickly when they are no longer needed. "

If you want to know what to do about it, let me know and I'll email you a complete paper with drills, instruction etc. I would post it here, but the site doesn't allow very large attachments.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

Note: This thread is 5889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!