IGNORED

Who is the best golfer you've played with?

CusePhil
Note: This thread is 5737 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Who is the best player you've played with according to their handicap?

• +5 or better
    • 0 to +4.99
    • .01 to 5
    • 5.01 to 10
    • 10+

The best guy ever was a senior that played in the Senior US Open I know once, maybe twice i'm not too sure. Once for sure. He got to final qualifying more than once I know. My brother was a 1 before he started banging his wife. My dad was a 0 lefty and a 0 righty at two different times in his life. Then he got old.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I'm a greenkeeper I've played a few rounds with great golfers eg. they shot 5 under. But the best was a pro golfer called James Heath, I only played about 6 holes with him but he was brilliant. I think hes on the tour at the moment.

One of the guys in my regular Tuesday afternoon group has been known to break 70 on occasion. Right now he's shooting mid to upper 70s but it's early in the season yet. By summer he'll back to scratch golf. Last Tuesday I watched him hole one from 140 yds out. It was truly amazing.

In the Bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher Ultralight XL 270

FW: Taylor Made 300 17 degree 
3-PW: Mizuno MX-23

AW: Mizuno TP-T11 52/07 (Bent to 50)
SW: Mizuno TP-T11 56/10

LW: Mizuno TP-T11 60/05

Putter: Original Ping Zing

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour

Cool post. Sixteen years ago, made a trip to Florida to see my mom who had moved out there to care for my Grandmother, over Thanksgiving. My Uncle and Cousin invited me to play with there regular group which was quite an honor. The three of us waiting to tee off on the first hole and a single pulled up in a cart and said his hello's to my uncle and cousin who seemed to know him. They introduced him and it was Paul Azinger and he asked to play a few holes. My Uncle has sponsored many young players and he and Paul visited around the entire course about this person and that person. What a treat for me and to see a player of that caliber play so effortlessly, that is what I remember most.

• 3 months later...
I played in a Golden State Tour event today with a fellow named Dan Norton. The event was at Empire Lakes, where the Nationwide Tour stops for the Mark Christopher Charity Classic. 7034y - 74.1/136. I played alright, shot 1 over. Dan, after having not touched a club for 10 days until the 2 iron he hit off of 1, shot a 6under 66. He hits the ball a ton, gets his approach shots pretty close, but, drained a ton of putts today. Most his approaches were right around the 20 foot mark, he made a nice amount of them.

He's played the Canadian Tour a few times, actually came back to SoCal after having a not-so-hot run the last few months out there. I played with him on the GS Tour late last year, and I remember him lighting it up then too.

I'd have been right there with him if I was making putts like he did. I hit 15 greens today.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

As many years as I played and as many rounds as I played, it struck me that I've been on the course with precious few "good" golfers.

I doubt I've been witness to more than a half-dozen sub-80 rounds in my life. And unless there's a junior golfer I played with as a kid that later went on the bigger and better things, the best I've ever played with probably had a handicap of 10 or more.

Jess

Voted 0 - +4.99...not sure. I played with Bruce Vaugh once (yeah...the guy that just won the British Senior) about 18 years ago at Carey Park GC (public track in Hutchinson, KS) when he was just a struggling mini-tour player. I remember shooting 39 on the front to his 37 & thinking I was pretty damn good

What's in my bag:
Driver: 905R 10.5* Stiff
Fairway wood: 904F 19* Stiff
3-PW: AP2 1* flat with Project X 6.0 shafts
GW: 52*SW: Vokey 56* LW: Vokey 60*Putter: Tri-ballBall: ProV1 (preferred) or PD Super Soft (when I'm feeling cheap)

Years ago my parents boarded Nike Tour players every year they came to their country club in New York. This fellow named Mark and his wife (who happened to be his caddie) stayed with them 2 years in a row. In 1994 or 5 I was fortunate enough to hit the range and also play a practice round with him. The biggest difference between a tour player like Mark and someone who is a 3 is undoubtedly the short game and putting. I recall hitting as many fairways and almost as many greens but he shot -2 and I was +7. Not quite sure what happened to him…..

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7 Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh
Bridgestone J33B DG X100 Mizuno MP 53*6 Mizuno MP 56*10 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported
Mizuno MP 60*6 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 Callaway Tourix

GHIN: 10436305

Best person I have played with before is my uncle... but he is still over 10 on handicap

Things I Am Good at in Golf

- Hitting it in the drink
- Finding the rough with my drive
- Staying in the bunker- Hitting grassburners all the way to the hole- Three putting- Posting over par on 18 in only 9 holes- Swinging and missing with an iron

Easy, my buddy from work.. I've never seen anyone hit the ball as far as him nor as well. He's disgustingly filthy when he hits the ball.. drove a 325yd par 4 with his 3 wood! NO BS.. Hell we were onthe sim at golf galaxy where he wast trying the D2, where were looking at his stats and the machine had the ball distance at like 402. His swing speed was 160? and ball speed was nearly 200.. he used compete in long drive comps and was working on getting a PGA card. We ahve a group that goes out from work and we'd goto the range etc and all we could do was just watch watch he did and wonder. simply the most amazing display of skill, power and touch..

Funniest part he only plays a few times a year because of family obligations.. he does do his range work but doesn't play that much. Of course, he's the kind of guy that anything he touches turnes up roses... where as I touch stuff and it smells like crap and looks like crap! LOL

2nd place is my Cousin John.. another huge hitter, with great hands.. amazig player..well when he could see his feet.

Pete

WITB
What's in SiD's bag

Ogio Stand Bag
Driver
910D3 9.5 set to 8.5
907D2 9.5 VS Proto Stif

f3WoodCleveland XLS 15* Stiff

Irons TaylorMade Tour Preferred 4-9

Wedges Gun'd 48* & Vokey 58

Putter 34" XG #7

My usual golfing buddies are all around my standard, we were within a few shots of eachother.

I went to a junior tournament a few years ago when I was playing off 24 and was paired up with a 1 and 2 I was pretty nervous because I'd never played with anyone that good, let alone two at the same time. They almost took me under their wing and at the turn I was one shot behind the +1 and ahead of the +2 on GROSS! I played one of my best rounds ever, particularly since I suck at unfamiliar and very long courses (7100yrds off the back whereas my course was a testing 5900 off the back) and ended up winning the nett competition. On the second hole (a 440yrd par 4) I put my second shot into a greenside bunker which was so far below the green I could only just see the top of the flag. Managed to put my flop shot to within about six inches. The playing partners were pretty agog...almost as much as I was! It really is true that you learn from better players almost by osmosis!

One of my schoolfriends was playing off 2 at the age of fourteen, he went left school and went to the US with intention of getting on a tour. I think he gave the game up...pity. I never did play a round with him though.

In the Matrix XTT Standbag:

Driver: Biggest Big Bertha 11*
Fairway Wood: Steelhead Plus 3 Wood
Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

played with a lot of good players growing up competitively ... most notables right now are I played one or two rounds in high school against Justin Hicks (the kid who was leading the US Open after the first round) ...

a kid named Kyle Dobbs who has won on the Gateway tour.. I played against numerous times in high school .. he played for U of M in college.

Right now a main golfing partner of mine is a .8 handicap .. he hits it about 20 - 30 yards farther than me off the tee and I average 280 - 300 .. he can have a few blowup holes though to ruin his round.. (same thing that I do, lol).

Sean

What's in the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R11S 9 degree.  Set to upright 8 degree.  Aldila RIP Alpha 60s X flex shaft.

3 wood: TaylorMade 13 degree RocketBallz (coming shortly).. X Flex Matrix X Conn.

Hybrids: 2iron / 4iron Taylor Burner Rescue.

Irons: 5 - PW 2008 Model Year Titleist AP2

Wedges: 49*, 54* 60* Cleveland 588 Rusties.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi Long.

Balls: Titleist Pro VX

Bag: Titleist Black / Red Staff

Note: This thread is 5737 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!