IGNORED

Scotland 2022

mashienib
Note: This thread is 1164 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am planning a trip for 8 of us to Scotland in May next year and I would appreciate any comments readers might have.   We are starting in the St. Andrews area and will try to get the Old course via the advance registration.  Probably Kingbairn, the Old, the Castle and the New.  Then move to Ayr and play Troon and Western Gailes.   Then on to East Lothians to play Muirfield, North Berwick.   Then a quick (?) trip north to Cruden Bay and Royal Aberdeen.  We will only play one round a day, although I may try and play at Glen on the afternoon of the day we play at North Berwick.  We are doing all the bookings and I think we will save about $1500/man.   Depending on the schedule, we may substitute a round (maybe Gullane instead of the New).   Its is a little hard setting the agenda because Troon and Muirfield are very limited in terms of days that they accept visitors.   There are so many awesome courses and limited days and money!

Any thoughts ?

49 minutes ago, mashienib said:

I am planning a trip for 8 of us to Scotland in May next year and I would appreciate any comments readers might have.   We are starting in the St. Andrews area and will try to get the Old course via the advance registration.  Probably Kingbairn, the Old, the Castle and the New.  Then move to Ayr and play Troon and Western Gailes.   Then on to East Lothians to play Muirfield, North Berwick.   Then a quick (?) trip north to Cruden Bay and Royal Aberdeen.  We will only play one round a day, although I may try and play at Glen on the afternoon of the day we play at North Berwick.  We are doing all the bookings and I think we will save about $1500/man.   Depending on the schedule, we may substitute a round (maybe Gullane instead of the New).   Its is a little hard setting the agenda because Troon and Muirfield are very limited in terms of days that they accept visitors.   There are so many awesome courses and limited days and money!

Any thoughts ?

I'll write more when I get a chance, butt I have a couple of comments.,  First, you're talking about  4 different bases of operations, which seems quite a lot unless you're planning to stay for 2 weeks.  My suggestion is to pick two of those.  St Andrews is perfect for a first time visitor, (or a 10th time visitor, I love the town and the golf).  Any of the other three areas would make for a great trip, and there's plenty of golf to be played.  Really, there's plenty of golf in and around St Andrews to spend a week or more there.  Add in Carnoustie, Panmure, Lundin Links, Elie, New, Jubilee, Old, Crail, and those are just the courses I've played.

If you're going for the Advanced Reservation at the Old, you really can't plan the rest of the trip until you hear from them.  That means you won't be able to schedule Muirfield, last I remember they book about 14 or 15 months out.  I'm not sure if Troon is the same way.  In Ayr, I've played Dundonald, Western Gailes, Prestwick, and Glasgow Gailes, and I know there are a few more good ones, before you even consider Troon.  In East Lothian, North Berwick is great, Dunbar is very good, the courses at Gullane are really good (I've played 2 and 3, not #1), the Glen is good fun, and I've read that Kilspindie is a blast to play.  Again, I'm leaving out Muirfield since I doubt you'll be able to book it after you hear from St Andrews.  Its also an easy drive to play the Old Course at Musselburgh for an afternoon of fun, and you can rent hickory-shafted clubs to play it if you like.  I've never been up the Aberdeen coast, so I won't comment, other than to say I've heard great things about a number of courses there too.

OK, I wrote more than I expected to, but I really enjoy talking about Scotland.  I really do recommend taking just two areas and concentrating.  Yes, you won't hit everything you might want, but you won't lack for great golf.  And less time looking through the windshield means more time sharing a pint in a pub.

An excellent resource for planning your own trips can be obtained here:

Golf in Scotland: A Travel-Planning Guide with Profiles of 60 Great Courses

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

46 minutes ago, mashienib said:

Any thoughts ?

I know there are quite a few Tster's who have done trips to Scotland and can give you thoughts on where they played and I have been getting ready to plan a trip, as well, although I will wait another couple years for the Covid stuff to hopefully end.

But I have a buddy who owns a Golf Travel business and he gave me this list of places to play and his thoughts on them:

I will give you my rankings of all the courses I have personally played in Scotland.  My prejudices are that I love links golf and am charmed (rather than annoyed) by ancient quirky courses.  I think that is part of the Scottish experience:  This is the way

1.    Muirfield -- the "fairest" of the links courses -- but so well done that I love it anyway.

2.    North Berwick -- the course I would choose to play if I could only play one forever.

3.    Cruden Bay -- very close with North Berwick and just as quirky.

4.    Machrihanish -- charming course with one of the best 1st tees in golf -- but very out of the way.

5.    Old Course -- NOT a great course -- especially the opening 9 -- but the experience is through the roof.

6.    Castle Stuart -- "American-style" links, but so well done.

7.    Kingsbarns -- same as Castle Stuart (these two often rank very high with American golfers).

8.    Prestwick -- quirky to a fault -- but has some of the funnest holes in golf.

9.    Turnberry -- used to be lower on my list, but the new renovations are great and the scenery is stunning.

10.  Royal Aberdeen -- awesome front 9 and average back 9.  Oil tankers constantly on the horizon.

11.  Carnoustie -- as tough as its reputation.  Has an industrial feel to it.  But very worth it.

12.  Western Gailes -- often overlooked by those who play Turnberry, Troon, and Prestwick.  Great layout.

13.  Machrihanish Dunes -- roller coaster ride of a new course.  Out of the way.

14.  Trump International -- disappointing given all the hype.

15.  Royal Dornoch -- some say it is the best in Scotland.  I don't -- but I am not a big fan of out and back links.

16.  Gullane #1 -- you start in town and climb a big hill before opening to the sea.  Cool course.

17.  Royal Troon -- I only like the middle 6 holes (including the sublime Postage Stamp)

18.  Machrie -- you will never get here -- it is out on the Isle of Islay.  Fun course.  Not worth the trip.

19.  New Course -- probably a better layout than the Old Course (and right next to it).  But obviously lacks the mystique.

20.  Castle Course -- tricked out layout with ridiculous greens.  But it has awesome views of St. Andrews below.

21.  Nairn -- I found it to be rather bland.

22.  Glen Golf Club -- one of the prettiest courses I have played and there is a magnificent par 3.

23.  Troon -- Portland Course -- fun little walk if you have a few hours to kill.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

10 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

I have been getting ready to plan a trip

You do know where to look if you need one extra player, right?

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

@DaveP043 - Some very relevant comments there.  I did leave out a couple of facts - some of the group have been there before.  Of the courses you mentioned, these include Carnoustie, Panmure, New, Jubilee, Old, Crail, North Berwick. 

I know its ambitious with the different locations but I can't justify going all that way and not getting to the different areas.  At this point it looks like a 10 day trip.  It does feel like I am trying to juggle about 5 balls at the same time in trying to figure out the agenda.  We may go ahead and book Muirfield and cross our fingers that St. Andrews does not happen on the same day.

The more I think about it...it becomes more confusing.

33 minutes ago, mashienib said:

The more I think about it...it becomes more confusing.

The important thing to remember is that, no matter what choices you make, you'll have a great time.  

Dave

18 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

You do know where to look if you need one extra player, right?

Of course

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Note: This thread is 1164 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!