IGNORED

Haggling

Steaksauce
Note: This thread is 5900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is it possible to haggle on used clubs? Like in a store such as Golfsmith or Golf Galaxy, can you bargain on the price like in car sales or is it only retail?

If I can get a used set of irons I would like to save some extra cash, but I don't want to look like a complete dumbass asking to lower the price. Also I'm not going to politely ask a salesman if store policy allows haggling b/c I don't know what legally sane person that would say yes.

In My Bag:
Driver: r580XD R flex
3 Wood: Mac Burrows 13*
Irons: Apex 2 iron
Irons: Edge 3-E ('89-92)Wedge: rac TP Satin 56*12Wedge: rac TP Black 60*06Putter: CER Milled CP03 (GolfWorks custom head)Ball: Pro V1 or any other found premimum ball

of course!! im sure they would haggle on new clubs if you were buying enough. when my dad bought his new cobra irons and nike driver, they gave him half off on 2 hybrids. i wouldnt be a douche and be rediculous but i would def. ask a tad lower if you think its worth it.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

You can also use the makeup up the club to seek a lower price. For example, let's say two iron sets are priced the same, however, one set is comprised of shafts that are less expensive. Ask for a discount on that set.

Remember, used clubs are like used cars. No matter the make or the year, they are not as valuable as new clubs and retailers want to get rid of them.

If that fails, there is always ebay or the like.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Is it possible to haggle on used clubs? Like in a store such as Golfsmith or Golf Galaxy, can you bargain on the price like in car sales or is it only retail?

I went to a Golf Galaxy to get a Burner - used was 199.99. I got the guy to 179, 169, and then 159 as my credit card rejected the sale again and again (I'm on a first-name basis with most of the guys there, I'm in that store so often. You know you've got it bad when that happens.)

"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Hell I asked for a discount on new clubs. With my irons (as with most new clubs) the price is set for them, but most of the time they will give you a discount on other items. I got 25% off a vokey wedge. They just show it as a "demo" club purchase. I would ask for sure... the worst they can say is no.

the worst they can say is no.

If the clubs are used, there is a great possibility that they want to move them. The longer they sit on the wall, the greater the discount should be. Make them an offer and see what happens.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

You may always ask for a better price on just about anything you purchase. I am in the retail business and I never mind someone politely asking if a price can be lowered. However, I can't stand those arrogant, ignorant people who start their request for a lower price by saying, " Well I know your industry and the huge markups you get....." I almost always make it my quest to make that person pay the full amount. Always be respectful and polite; the worst a salesperson can say to you is "No."

Also, as a buyer, never fear of asking a question no matter what the question. The key to a successful transaction includes a couple of things: always be polite, never fear of appearing the fool, know the most you will pay for what you're attempting to buy, be willing to walk away if the salesperson won't meet your offer, and be reasonable yourself; a retailer may or may not be able to reduce his price and you are either going to have to trust him that he's telling you the truth or trust your own instincts that he is not.

The best thing you can do is to try and establish, over a period of time and purchases, a relationship with a retailer. He should value you highly as a repeat customer ( if he has a lick of sense ) and, from that relationship, you should be able to get your best and most consistent deals.

This advice is good for almost any type of large purchases, golf or otherwise.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

I bought my 3 wood at golfsmith used, and it was marked at $199 and I got them to sell it to me for $108 (this was about 6 months ago). I think they took so much off because the new 2008 models had just arrived. My putter was also used but they wouldn't let me get it cheaper so I had to pay the marked price ($99). When I got home and pulled off the price tag it had $129 under the $99 and $199 under the $129, so they had already marked it down quite a bit.

Driver: Callaway X460 Tour
3 Wood: Callaway X
Hybrid: Adams A3
Irons: X20 Tour 4-PW
Wedges: X-Forged 50, 54 & 58

I bought my 3 wood at golfsmith used, and it was marked at $199 and I got them to sell it to me for $108 (this was about 6 months ago). I think they took so much off because the new 2008 models had just arrived. My putter was also used but they wouldn't let me get it cheaper so I had to pay the marked price ($99). When I got home and pulled off the price tag it had $129 under the $99 and $199 under the $129, so they had already marked it down quite a bit.

Most retailers are honest. If they are smart, they will do anything possible to get and keep your business. These are tough economic times we're in, my friends. I think that makes it a bit of a buyer's market. For those of you who are able, take advantage of it.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Honestly....You can haggle nearly ANYTHING being sold retail, regardless of what it is.

If its being sold retail, it has a wholesale price. You wont get wholesale, but you can get somewhere inside the margin.

There has to be an incentive like one of the other guy's here said. If you're going to drop a bunch of cash on them, demand some breaks. If they wont, someone else will and they know that.

Get a hat thrown in free, 50% off on your box of balls you like, half off on some utility clubs, maybe a little off the driver but pay full price for the iron sets.

This works because of the mark up on irons.

Its easy to see what golfsmith is into their used clubs because you can go online and see what they will pay for used clubs, or what they will take it in on trade for. This knowlege is PRICELESS! i never understood why they post that chart...they will take a driver in for $99 and mark it up to $160. Offer $110 and they arent in the red on it...SOLD!

Heres a link to the chart for woods... http://www.golfsmith.com/pdf/woods.pdf

In my Bag:

Tour Burner 9.5* ProLaunch Red Shaft
Baffler TWS & DWS Hybrids: 2,4
Irons: 09 Burners 4-AWWC Liquid Copper SW 56*WC Liquid Copper LW 60*Putter: Black OZ T130 TP Black

You can haggle but ive never found success

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

You may always ask for a better price on just about anything you purchase. I am in the retail business and I never mind someone politely asking if a price can be lowered. However, I can't stand those arrogant, ignorant people who start their request for a lower price by saying, " Well I know your industry and the huge markups you get....." I almost always make it my quest to make that person pay the full amount. Always be respectful and polite; the worst a salesperson can say to you is "No."

This is one excellent post! Read it a time or two, and then go see if you can get a better price. Rep points for Shortgame! My father-in-law is a salesman and an expert buyer. He knows how to get great deals, but more importantly he knows when to walk away. As a matter of fact, he walks into deals knowing he can walk away. Also, if you are worried about looking bad for asking for a lower price, remember most sellers have no problem asking for a higher price. If you pay it without question, they walk away with an easy deal. If you ask the question, they may come down. If they say no, you lost no money.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!