IGNORED

Thoughts on the Titleist 905R driver?

Note: This thread is 5895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Please forgive about the sacastic comments.(Nykfan4life). This is something that I am still frustrated over and am still looking for a solution.

And thank you E-man for the question. Simply put, I am hitting my driver very poorly. It all started when I got the new club the day of one of my lessons. The first 8-10 drives were perfectly straight and simply the drives I had ever hit. I can remember hitting everyone of them high, straight, and soaring through the air. I hit one shot that I would call a slight mishit and went to hell after that. After that day, I would have maybe a drive or two straight and somewhat decent, but most of the time it was: 1). A duck-hook that would go less than 75 yds. or 2). a straight drive that would soar at 200 yds. and literally fall out of the sky. Now I am hitting VERY low drives that slice 75-100 yds to the right of my target, maybe 200 yds out or high slices that would barely go 150 yds. SO, I pretty much do anything you can do with a drive with such a large sweetspot, high, low, left, right, etc.

All of the visible ball marks are in the center of the clubface or slightly above it, nothing off the toe or the heel to speak of. I am a pretty consistent ball striker and am looking for something somewhat forgiving, but being able to work the ball left and right.

Any other recommendations would be helpful too. I was also looking at a few Cobra drivers, the Taylormade Burner, R7 425, and R7 460.

If anyone else has questions please feel free to ask them. Thanks for all of your help.

If you're making good swings - and I think that's what you're saying - and the ball is doing everything in the world but what a good swing should produce, and it's entirely unpredictable, and you outhit your driver with your 5 iron, the driver is probably broken.

I know you know how to hit a driver. But maybe you're just not doing it? Like you're swinging harder and harder and getting less and less out of it? I've been there. It sucks. If this is the case, no club will fix it. Maybe the problem really isn't you, maybe it is. We can't tell. All I'm saying is you should work that possibility out before you shell out dough for a new club you don't need.

For what it's worth, the 905R is not a forgiving driver. The Ping G10, Cobra stuff, and the Burner, on the other hand, are clubs you should probably hit. You might love one of 'em (Ping G10 in particular).

Hope this helps.
In the bag 8/12/09:
R9 w/ 63g S Fubuki | 909F2 13.5º | 909H 19º | MP-67 w/ Project X 5.5, 3-PW | Spin Milled 52â¢04, 56â¢08, 60â¢04 | BC1, 35" | Tour One | uPro

Hcp: 5.9
Trend: 5.2

If you're making good swings - and I think that's what you're saying - and the ball is doing everything in the world but what a good swing should produce, and it's entirely unpredictable, and you outhit your driver with your 5 iron, the driver is probably broken.

I couldnt agree more...the 905r is not forgiving but its the best workable 460 cc driver Ive tried ...The Cobras and Burners are designed for the simple task of---straight distance

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

905 is good driver, I actually play the 907 D2 now and love it. I really like the consistent look and feel to titleist.

In the Bag:
Driver 907 D2, 8.5*, Accuflex x-stiff
3 Wood 904F 15*, Accuflex V2, x-stiff
Hybrid 585H, 19*, Aldila NV 85S
Irons MP 57's, + 1", 1* up, Project X 5.5Wedges Titleist Spin Milled 56* and 60*, oil can, +1/2", 1* upPutter :Scotty Cameron: Newport 2Ball ProV1Bag: OGIO Gromwww.quail...

Please forgive about the sacastic comments.(Nykfan4life). This is something that I am still frustrated over and am still looking for a solution.

I don't know how to fix your problem, maybe consult the pro at your local course. But I would really advise you to wait until you have fixed this problem until you buy a new driver. And I would bring the hibore in, chances are it is broken.

I have heard nothing but good things about the titleist 905R and am actually considering switching to it or the 907D2 (I currently have the 905T and D1 - the 905T I like better).

I do think nykfan does have a point though, I had a similar problem (hitting the ball all in the center or slightly above center but still hitting horrid slices) and once I got my tempo under control it went away... try to fix your swing first dude. this is not to say you don't know how to swing but merely that you seemed to be having a tempo problem, not a club problem.

anyway... my advice with the club, your original question - I would also check out the D2 if you are checking out the 905R. I will be doing the same. the R is much cheaper so if if it's a price issue then just go with the R. if you open to other clubs check out the Burner (2007) and the Ping G5. Great clubs as well. Another would be the current Bridgestone driver - greatly underrated. I hate the sounds of the others - the hibore, callaways and such... my two cents. Good luck. Let us know how it goes!

Thank you very much for all of your help. It is greatly appreciated and is giving better insight. I live in Michigan(still cold) and went to a heated outdoor range and figured out that my timing was very off. My hips were out of sync with my upper body. I was hitting the ball more consistently and was very happy with all of my other clubs, except the driver.

Here's what I plan to do from here:
1). Trade in the HiBore because I don't want it anymore. I can get 70-75 bucks for it while it still has some value.
2). At golfsmith, they have a 90/90 policy which states, in the first 90 days I can return the club and get 90% of what I paid for it. I have nothing holding me back from doing this with the guarantee of the 90% back of the full price.
3). Now, I am looking at the Taylormade Burner as my #1 choice right now. If things still don't work out, I will put the store credit towards another driver. I also build clubs and can put something together for a fair price as well.
4). If things still don't work out, then I will see a pro and make some changes.

Thanks again for your help and I will try to keep everyone updated on how things go.

I have the Titleist 905T( a little smaller head I think) with a NV Stiff shaft, and I love it. My swing speed is around 120-130 MPH and I hit a long straight/little draw off the tee.

In my Stand Bag
Driver- 905T 9.5* w/ Aldila NV Stiff
3-Wood- 906F4 13.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto Stiff
Irons 3-PW- 704 CB w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges- CG10 52* Vokey 56* Oil Can Spin Milled Vokey 60* Oil Can Spin MilledPutter- Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Ball- Prov1 (Or any nice soft...

I would also check out the D2 if you are checking out the 905R.

the 907D2 is the 'successor' to the 905R, so that would make sense.

Thank you very much for all of your help. It is greatly appreciated and is giving better insight. I live in Michigan(still cold) and went to a heated outdoor range and figured out that my timing was very off. My hips were out of sync with my upper body. I was hitting the ball more consistently and was very happy with all of my other clubs, except the driver.

But is your driver problem just with the hibore? or are you doing this with all the drivers? If the rest of your game is solid, this driver thing should be a quick fix that 20 mins with a pro should handle. I would strongly reccomend doing that before going to buy a new driver.

If I was in as much of a huff and puff as this kid with his current driver than keeping it would be a bad idea. Just get a new driver and get it over with. No big deal, life goes on...

Titleist 913 D3 10.5*

Adams Super XTD 17*

Adams DHY 21*

TaylorMade TP MB 4-PW

Titleist SM4 54*/58*/62*

Bettinardi SS 11

Leupold GX-3i Rangefinder

Titleist ProV1 Ball

Be sure to try whatever new driver you get out on the range 1st... If you get a chance to hit them on the range you'll get an idea of the ball flight etc before you buy it.

Also - what shafts are in your fairways, hybrids & irons? Graphite? Steel? Manufacturer? Flex?

Superquad
Fusion #3
Big Bertha Warbird #5
755 3-PW
Vokey SM56.10 & 60.08 White Hot 2-ball

I am switching because my HiBore sucks and can BARELY get it to the 150 yds. mark. I have a stiff V2 in it and it is a piece of JUNK. I feel it is not even worth reshafting it because I can't even hit it solidly. My FWs, hybrid, irons, and wedges are all fine and striking them well. It is just the driver that is giving me problems. Plus, I am starting up high school golf soon(1-2 weeks) and I need to have something reliable to use for the season, not something I can't hit.

ClubMaker - is it definately a Titleist driver that you'd prefer to have or are you open to other suggestions & manufacturers?
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Rich F- I was looking at the 905R, but also the Burner. I am open to any other suggestions as well. I also build golf clubs and have had thoughts about a custom-built driver too.Thanks

mrobbie-In my fairway woods(Nike knockoffs), I have stiff Grafalloy ProLite FW shaft, in my hybrid(Snake Eyes), I have a stiff SE/UST hybrid shaft in them, and in my irons(Golfsmith P2), I have stiff True Temper XL Lite shafts.

Thanks for all of your help.

Note: This thread is 5895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!