IGNORED

Thoughts on the Titleist 905R driver?

Note: This thread is 5895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I currently have a Cleveland HiBore that I am planning to trade in. I was looking at getting a 905R for a cheap price. What has been the overall experience with using this club? Any help would be helpful. Thanks

I currently have a Cleveland HiBore that I am planning to trade in. I was looking at getting a 905R for a cheap price. What has been the overall experience with using this club? Any help would be helpful. Thanks

Although I am currently using 907D2, I personally feel that 905R is a much better head. One of my memorable mistake is selling off the 905R. Very solid driver and you won't regret with the curret price they are selling. Just get the right shaft though... Enjoy.

Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

Love my 905R. As stated above, test out shafts and see which one you like. I must warn you that you won't get near the height that you do with your Hibore, atleast I didn't when I tested them out (with the same shafts in both), so keep that in mind if that's a concern or the reason you are switching.

In The Bag:
905R UST V2 Stiff
906F2 UST V2 Stiff
3DX dc 17* Stiff
2300 IM 4-PW Stiff CG 12 Black Pearl 52*, 56*, 60* C67 Pro V1x

I am switching because my HiBore sucks and can BARELY get it to the 150 yds. mark. I have a stiff V2 in it and it is a piece of JUNK. I feel it is not even worth reshafting it because I can't even hit it solidly. My FWs, hybrid, irons, and wedges are all fine and striking them well. It is just the driver that is giving me problems. Plus, I am starting up high school golf soon(1-2 weeks) and I need to have something reliable to use for the season, not something I can't hit.

I am switching because my HiBore sucks and can BARELY get it to the 150 yds. mark. I have a stiff V2 in it and it is a piece of JUNK. I feel it is not even worth reshafting it because I can't even hit it solidly. My FWs, hybrid, irons, and wedges are all fine and striking them well. It is just the driver that is giving me problems. Plus, I am starting up high school golf soon(1-2 weeks) and I need to have something reliable to use for the season, not something I can't hit.

word of advice- if you cannot hit driver past 150 yds, you probably shouldn't have a stiff flex(the 'probably' was just to add to the sarcastic value - you really shouldn't be using it(especially a ust proforce v2). If you cannot reach the 200 mark with driver, I would look at a senior or even women's flex). Also, If you are a 18 handicap, I would steer clear of Titleist woods. Maybe the 907D1, definately not the 905R. You probably should get a more forgiving model. Get Fitted at your local clubfitter - it really makes a difference.

I KNOW how to swing a driver, OKAY. I swing on average 85-95 MPH. I hit my hybrid 220-225 and my 5-iron 195. My FWs are easily 230-250 EASY. I KNOW how to hit a driver, and I now know that the HiBore sucks and is a piece of JUNK. I know I am a STIFF flex, thank you very much. Anymore unwanted advice would be GREATLY encouraged. (NOW DO YOU SEE THE SARCASM IN MY VOICE)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree ...if you can't hit your driver past 150 yds it isn't the driver ...
I thought you were saying you were hitting to about the 150 yard marker (ie 250 off the tee on a typical par 4 400 yards)....
how far do you hit your driver????
spare me the 90 mph swing doesnt correlate with the 5 iron 195
90 mph usw translates to regular flex so your 5 iron probably goes about 170 at most

In My Bag

Taylormade Burner 09 TP 9.5 Fujikura REAX 65 S
Cleveland Launcher 2009 15 UST V2 75 S
Cleveland Launcher Steel 19 UST V2 75 STitleist 585 H 21 Aldila VS Proto STaylormade R7 TP 4-PW DG S300 StiffTaylormade TP Satin 54 and 58Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2Taylormade TP...

spare me the 90 mph swing doesnt correlate with the 5 iron 195

This is not true, at all. You swing speed does not determine your flex. The amount of force/aggression of the swing combined with the type of shaft you are swinging determines whether you're a regular, stiff, stiff plus, etc. Not all shaft flexes are created, equally.

I'm using an Accra M4 which is a stiff shaft. However, when I tried the Mitsubishi Diamana White Board, in stiff, it was useless. I could not do much with it. As for the distance with the 5 iron, it depends on the loft of his clubs, his shafts (again), the weight, etc. There are so many variables. Factor in a ball that he can compress and generate some ball speed and it's quite possible that he can get his 5I to 195 yards.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I have only been hitting balls on the range so far this season with my new 905R but I am loving it. Hitting long bombs out there and consistently straight, little draw. I also play to a 3 handicap though and swing the club 115 mph without straining. My swing calls for a stiff flex, I have hit regular and x-stiff but I hook the regular and lose distance with the x-stiff.

Anyway.. I can see that you are a younger guy than most on this forum and that you are just looking for a straight answer so here it is:

Buy the 905R if you can find it for a good price but only if you are comfortable looking at the "pear shaped" head.
I have a hard time using any other style driver ever since the 975D but that is just me. I have 3 different Titleist drivers here now and love them all.

Titleist 913 D3 10.5*

Adams Super XTD 17*

Adams DHY 21*

TaylorMade TP MB 4-PW

Titleist SM4 54*/58*/62*

Bettinardi SS 11

Leupold GX-3i Rangefinder

Titleist ProV1 Ball

As you will have seen in other posts, I am struggling with mine (YS6+ stiff and 9.5 deg loft)

I am never seeing any form of draw out of the club - mostly a fade or a slice. If I try to hard to fix these, I get an ugly snap hook. From reading reviews, I am never seeing any negative press about the 905R - but I certainly struggle with it.

I never got fitted for the club - I got it as an exchange when my R7 460 caved in.

I'm going to see about a session with a launch monitor - from what I read on here, simply re-shafting the club with a reg flex may be my answer. If you google a fair bit, a common thought is that the 905 drivers play stiffer than what the shaft states due to the design;

http://www.golfsmith.com/cm/forum/vi...ast=1196429172

I know a lot of single digit handicap players using this driver in Reg flex - some of whom have a fast & powerful swing.

Best advice - go and try one out. Buying without testing is risky - Yes, I had some hits with mine before buying, but hitting on a range is no comparisson to time with a launch monitor or hitting on a course.

Superquad
Fusion #3
Big Bertha Warbird #5
755 3-PW
Vokey SM56.10 & 60.08 White Hot 2-ball

I asked about a driver I was looking at, not to determine what flex I am or it is my swing and NOT the clubs fault. Some on this forum need to stop talking out of their ASS and more on what is being asked. I am not an idiot and better than an 18 handicap. I know what I want and need something reliable to hit. I hit my 5-iron 190-195, so I am DEFINITELY and STIFF flex. If anyone has questions, ask, but don't say anything when you don't know what you are talking about.

Clubmaker15 -- can I ask you a question without you getting all bent out of shape?

How are you hitting your current driver 150? I mean, please elaborate in terms of height, trajectory, etc. Is it a high, pop up that comes straight down at the 150 marker? Is it a low worm-burner that never gets more than a few feet off the ground? Are you hooking it, slicing it, etc.? Are you hitting it on the center of the clubface, high, low, heel, toe? The reason I ask is because I've heard that the 905R is a great head, but may not be the most forgiving driver out there, particularly depending on the shaft.

e

Should we all just pee and see who's goes further? The 905R is a great driver and a better ball striker will see good results. But back to your first post about hitting the HiBore 150 yards. I hit my dad's old driver that was actually made out of wood about 240, so I don't know what your talking about with the 150 comment. Good luck.

When i was testing it at the Range, I found it really weird. To me the clubhead seemed really small, and when I hit it I didnt get that feeling I'd like. To me when I hit it it almost seemed as If i was hitting with an old wooden club. And the sound wasnt as satisfying as my driver I have now. I also found it hard to hit.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

When i was testing it at the Range, I found it really weird. To me the clubhead seemed really small, and when I hit it I didnt get that feeling I'd like. To me when I hit it it almost seemed as If i was hitting with an old wooden club. And the sound wasnt as satisfying as my driver I have now. I also found it hard to hit.

You found a 460 CC club head small? Yikes....

an old wooden club feeling?? how so? lol satisfying sound? ... what was different about the sound?

Titleist 913 D3 10.5*

Adams Super XTD 17*

Adams DHY 21*

TaylorMade TP MB 4-PW

Titleist SM4 54*/58*/62*

Bettinardi SS 11

Leupold GX-3i Rangefinder

Titleist ProV1 Ball

The TITLIEST 905r is one of the best drivers made. What I love about it is the quality...Its typical Titleist quality that is respected..The alignment aid on the head is fantastic...I love how Titleist puts a quality shaft like the NV green as the stock shaft...The driver launches very high...I dont think ive hit a driver that launched the ball that high....i guess its those titleist drivers with the high center of gravity....very solid club and very workable...especially a draw....i also love the heaviness of the head-

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

You found a 460 CC club head small? Yikes....

haha, i guess im not used to it compared to my driver. It had a different shape to it. Its really hard to explain. But just to me didnt feel like a modern driver. It almost felt as if it was one of those cheap 20$ drivers you get at Wal-Mart.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I KNOW how to swing a driver, OKAY.

I never suggested you didn't.

I swing on average 85-95 MPH. I hit my hybrid 220-225 and my 5-iron 195. My FWs are easily 230-250 EASY.I KNOW how to hit a driver, and I now know that the HiBore sucks and is a piece of JUNK.

If these yardages are correct, and your Driver goes 150, the Hibore must be broken. There is no way that you hit a hibore 150, but a different Driver 250+.

I know I am a STIFF flex, thank you very much.

I'm not so sure about that. Go to a clubfitter and find out for sure. Regular Flex might be right for you(assuming you are being honest)

Anymore unwanted advice would be GREATLY encouraged. (NOW DO YOU SEE THE SARCASM IN MY VOICE)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't insult my intelligence.

Note: This thread is 5895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!