IGNORED

Slice Problem (And the Medicus)

Note: This thread is 5875 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I'm a beginning golfer, and have really just been focusing on my iron play lately.
I had an inconsistent swing, so I picked up the Medicus 5 Iron
I swung it for a while, and could swing with out breaking it in very little time. So I picked up my regular 5 iron, and was hitting it further but still had a little slice. Every once in a while I will connect with one about 160 without a slice.

Now here's the weird thing, when I hit my Pw - 7 iron I am extremely straight and consistent. The Medicus definitely helped with my shorter irons.

But why do I still hit a slice with my 5 iron (and longer irons). I thought it was ball position, so I moved it forward in my stance, but I still have a slice.

Any suggestions?

the medicus is rubbish-you can make a bad swing and still not break it, i think that your hands get behind your body, and you hit the ball with a bit off an open clubface-this is EXACTLY what i do with any club longer then a 6 iron. not sure how you can fix it, but medicus is NOT the answer

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

Now here's the weird thing, when I hit my Pw - 7 iron I am extremely straight and consistent. The Medicus definitely helped with my shorter irons.

The 5-iron and above have less loft, and longer shafts both of which make the ball more likely to curve. The more loft you have the more backspin you will put on the ball, and the less loft you have the less backspin (and more side spin) your ball will have. As your swing speed decreases (which will happen as your clubs get shorter) you will compress the ball less, and the ball will be more effected by face angle instead of swing path.

If your ball is slicing it means your clubface is open at impact, and your club is swinging from outside the ball to target line to inside the ball to target line near impact. Since you feel you've ruled out your ball position for the face angle problem you should check your grip. For your path problem start by checking your alignment (shoulders and hips specifically), and if adjusting your alignment doesn't correct the path then look at your swing.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

If you want to eliminate your slice, let me know. I can send you an article that will absolutely eliminate a slice and have you hitting the ball farther too!

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

If you are casting, the quick fix is to make sure your left wrist is flat and facing the target at impact. Because your left wrist and the club face will always point in the same direction.

If you want to eliminate your slice, let me know. I can send you an article that will absolutely eliminate a slice and have you hitting the ball farther too!

Um I'd like to know this ...... how you wanna send it

In the bag:

Driver: R580 9.5* Stiff
3 Wood: SQ Sumo 2 15* Stiff
Irons 4-PW/AW/SW: Big Bertha 2008 SteelPutter: 2-BallBalls: Pro-V1

send it to me as well, please

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

why don't you just post the link or attach the file here? That way you'll eliminate some emails

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

why don't you just post the link or attach the file here? That way you'll eliminate some emails

I'd like it awsell.

In my Stand Bag
Driver- 905T 9.5* w/ Aldila NV Stiff
3-Wood- 906F4 13.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto Stiff
Irons 3-PW- 704 CB w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges- CG10 52* Vokey 56* Oil Can Spin Milled Vokey 60* Oil Can Spin MilledPutter- Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Ball- Prov1 (Or any nice soft...

Because your left wrist and the club face will always point in the same direction.

That is not always true.

Depending on your grip where your left wrist, palm, or hand point is not necessarly where the club face will point.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

I tried to do that. The document is over the size limit for attachments on this board. There is no link. Believe me, if I had a way to share the information without having to email it, I would rather do that. Any suggestions?

If anyone wants it, pm me with your email address.

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

Um I'd like to know this ...... how you wanna send it

Send a pm with your email address

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg

That is not always true.

Yea I have a stronger grip, therefore the back of my left hand doesn't point at the target at impact.

In my Stand Bag
Wedges- CG10 52* Vokey 56* Oil Can Spin Milled Vokey 60* Oil Can Spin MilledPutter- Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Ball- Prov1 (Or any nice soft...

Yea I have a stronger grip, therefore the back of my left hand doesn't point at the target at impact.

I think you might find that a more neutral grip can allow you to do more. It's not an easy change, but I've always found strong grips can cause a number of problems.

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg

I think you might find that a more neutral grip can allow you to do more. It's not an easy change, but I've always found strong grips can cause a number of problems.

What do you mean by neutral? 1-2 knuckles showing? What kind of problems can be caused by a strong grip? I see 3 knuckles currently when I look down.

In my Stand Bag

What do you mean by neutral? 1-2 knuckles showing? What kind of problems can be caused by a strong grip? I see 3 knuckles currently when I look down.

Neutral is usually thought of as 2 knuckles. Strong grips can encourage a hook, a slice and a flip. Also, it's common to see a strong grip and an underplane swing which encourages pushes and push slices, as well as once again flips. The tip off is thin shots.

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg

Neutral is usually thought of as 2 knuckles. Strong grips can encourage a hook, a slice and a flip. Also, it's common to see a strong grip and an underplane swing which encourages pushes and push slices, as well as once again flips. The tip off is thin shots.

Thanks for the tip.

By underplane swing do you mean bringing the club further inside? I think I may do this.

In my Stand Bag

Thanks for the info.
While hitting balls with a 5 iron, I realize that this slice probably comes from an open club face. So when I really focused on squaring up the face, and swinging all the way through, it hooked even more.
Is there anything I can do to try and correct an out-to-in swing?

Note: This thread is 5875 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!