IGNORED

Just got my titleist ap1 irons

Note: This thread is 5768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i kinda feel like i should of bought the ap2's but im glad i dident, i needed a solid set of irons to get a real game with, ive been switching from club to club and i said to my self its not the clubs its me and i have to learn to hit them.....so thats what im doing now and i knew before i buy these i'am going to have bumps in the road but thats golf...... i would reccomend the ap1's to anyone and the ap2's to the golfer looking for more

In My: Black Titleist sc75 Bag
Driver:  G20 10*

Irons: Soon To Be Titleist 712 CB/MB Combos 
Wedge: 60* Spin Milled Oilcan

Putter: Circa 62 Model 1Putter #2 Vintage Pal

Ball:  E6

Indeed!

have you hit them yet?

i was going golfing today but it started raining so ill just wait till tommorow.... weather permitting lol

• 4 weeks later...
I'm going to get fitted for my AP1's tomorrow. I'm an average player, playing anywhere from a 15-20, and these were perfect. I'm not a "player" but like to hit good shots..no junk. I actually liked the stock HL shaft in regular flex, the 113 g one. It does launch the ball high but a nice penetrating flight up..not a balloon. I was hitting the 6 iron and I can honestly say it was as easy as hitting my 7 iron and went higher.

I have to say I was either straight or slightly fading which is perfect..for me. You do feel like hitting a marshmellow when you hit these things..they hit soft. I started to get bold and started to hammer them a little harder and it pushed right at the worst..but very acceptable. I've decided that I like to go high and straight, and no need to hit dramatic cuts and fades..these go straight.

I'm going to try it in a S flex and see if there is a difference. I've always been afraid that Titleist were harder to hit but these are a true gem. I'm very excited and golf got fun again.

I just came back from my fitting. I was hitting things flush with the demo 6 iron I was getting tested on. Impact was right dead flush for about 85% of my swings (according to the tape). I had a fw that hooked/drew on my where I hit the heel..which I quite remembered. I'm standard LLL..lol

I interesting thing I found out was that my 6-iron swing speed is 85 mph (+/- 1 mph). I say I was swinging the iron about 70% of my ability. I was averaging 170 yards. The Tity rep. said I was verging on the higher end of the R300 shaft spectrum and I could go to an S300. He said my dispersion would be tighter but I would lose a little distance. I was fine with the R300 and satisfied with my capabilities. I never had so much fun hitting an iron.

Specs:
Standard LLL.
AP1 4-GW
DGHL 113g, R300

--

I just came back from my fitting. I was hitting things flush with the demo 6 iron I was getting tested on. Impact was right dead flush for about 85% of my swings (according to the tape). I had a fw that hooked/drew on my where I hit the heel..which I quite remembered. I'm standard LLL..lol

Sounds alot like my experience! Did you look at swapping the stock shafts for project x's? I am thinking i will do that...

i got the stiff s300's on my ap1's i wanted to get regular but i played with my cousins x20 tours with project X's and my dads titleist 755s both with stiff and i liked the way they felt so i got stiffs

Just picked up my AP1s last week. Very happy with them. Went from the 2004 Big Berthas and picked up at least a club in distance.

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

I have been debating which new set of irons to purchase.

I am 15-18 handicap and have been looking at Mizuno 950 and the new TaylorMade replacement for the r7. Will be getting graphite shafts in whatever I decide. Just hit the AP1s and AP2s yesterday and liked the AP1s. However, have heard that the face on the AP1s mars very quickly. For those of you who have had the AP1s for a while, what is your expereince as to how they look after several rounds. Also, any guidance as to selection between Titlest, Mizuno and the new Pings (I have Pings now) would be greatly appreciated.

well the chrome part of my ap1's are marred up only from contact with the other clubs in the bag they dent easily from that

I really wish I hadn't of read this thread.

I'm very happy with my irons.....reading this is just gonna tease me to hit some AP1s.

They are really clean looking.

I don't see how you could not like the set up and look of these clubs.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

• 1 month later...
Thanks for this great thread....I like both the Callaway X-20 and the Titleist AP1's...replacing my Titleist DCI Oversize of 10+ years....still trying to decide and do all my research and demo'ing....ahh to have such a tough choice!
"pond would be good for me..."

In my Sun Mountain speed cart bag:
R7 425 Driver
Hawkeye 3W aka 'old faithful' Rescue Dual 2H or Orlimar 5W X-Series 3H X-20 4-AW Vokey SW Anser PRO-V1

no doubt man its tough, theyre both great clubs but titleist won the match in my book.......what ever clubs you get you will be happy

LIke polodinks says either way you will be happy. In my own testing though it was the X-20s that came out on top!
Inside the OGIO Exodus
Driver: Ping G10 10.5* w/ TFC129 Stiff 45"
Hybrid: Nike SQ Sumo2 #4 & Sumo #2 w/ DG S300
Irons: Callaway X-20 5-PW w/ DG S300 2* Up
Wedges: Nike SV Tour Black 52.10 - 56.10 - 60.6 w/ DG S400Putter: Tour Bettinardi 32.5" Loft 3* Lie 70*Ball: Precept U-Tri Tour / Bridgestone...

your on the money man..... i just came back and played 9 holes i made 3 pars back to back with my handicap thats nice for me i played a 11 on 9 holes..... it gets better and better everytime i play

Thanks....I noticed not many 3 irons in your bags....I've been using a 2H in lieu of 5W - hate my 5W - and still unsure if i'll go 3H or 3I. Probably better to go w/ the 3H but still semi-confident hitting a 3I. I know I'll get 4-AW...just need to figure out 3H or 3I....these decisions are nice to have

R7 425 Driver
Hawkeye 3W aka 'old faithful' Rescue Dual 2H or Orlimar 5W X-Series 3H X-20 4-AW Vokey SW Anser PRO-V1

• 2 weeks later...
made the plunge....X-20's ordered and enroute. just liked them better after test driving them all....but in the end, every club i tried (ap1, x20, g10) was better than the current set...i think in this realm, it is personal preference (that's a duh comment) as on paper they're all good, all close. what did it for me - 'just felt better than the other' - tough to measure.
thanks again for a great thread

OBTW....love the new 3H over 3I (bought Cway X series)

R7 425 Driver

congrats man i was in the same dilemma you had, you will love them no matter what...... enjoy them man hit them straight and in good health let us know how you like them when you get them

Note: This thread is 5768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!