Jump to content
IGNORED

Ball Moved as I Putted It


Recommended Posts

I had a putt and it was windy that day with crusty fast greens. I had a 10 foot birdie putt and I lipped it out and had 8 inches left. I did not mark it. I walked up, took my time, and when I took the putter back and as I changed directions the ball moved at least 4 mm and I don't really know for sure whether I hit it while it was moving or not. I gave myself a penalty even thought he rule of the ball moving has changed. If I did not cause the ball to move there is no penalty and I did not cause this ball to move. But what is the rule if you actually hit the ball while it moves? Or even if it stopped moving and you hit it without placing the ball back in it's original spot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • iacas changed the title to Ball Moved as I Putted It
  • Administrator

Let's help those who help themselves: what Rules did you look at in trying to come up with an answer to this one?

You can list them by name, by number… etc.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't have a rule book but I asked the tournament director and he could only talk about the rule to do with the ball moving at address. It's no longer a penalty if you are not deemed to have caused the ball to move. He talked about if the ball moved that you have to replace the ball but he could not give me a definitive ruling. He asked me if I hit the ball while it was moving and I said I wasn't sure, I just saw it move so it was close. Do you know the ruling?

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, chop said:

I don't have a rule book but I asked the tournament director and he could only talk about the rule to do with the ball moving at address. It's no longer a penalty if you are not deemed to have caused the ball to move. He talked about if the ball moved that you have to replace the ball but he could not give me a definitive ruling. He asked me if I hit the ball while it was moving and I said I wasn't sure, I just saw it move so it was close. Do you know the ruling?

9.1b. What to Do When Ball Moves During Backswing or Stroke

If a player’s ball at rest begins moving after the player has begun the stroke or the backswing for a stroke and the player goes on to make the stroke:

  • The ball must not be replaced, no matter what caused it to move.

  • Instead, the player must play the ball from where it comes to rest after the stroke.

  • If the player caused the ball to move, see Rule 9.4b to find out if there is a penalty.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
7 hours ago, chop said:

I don't have a rule book

The Rules are available online.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html

I’m trying to encourage those who have questions to do a little digging themselves.

@Rulesman has given you the answer though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, iacas said:

I’m trying to encourage those who have questions to do a little digging themselves.

 

Sorry. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, iacas said:

The Rules are available online.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html

I’m trying to encourage those who have questions to do a little digging themselves.

@Rulesman has given you the answer though.

And there’s even an app for your phone.

Who'da thunk...?  😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Rulesman. I appreciate the answer. Sorry to put anyone out. I won't ask anymore questions on rules ever. I'll just download a rulebook onto my phone and move along. Thanks iacas and David in FL for the encouragement and the download.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
5 minutes ago, chop said:

Thanks Rulesman. I appreciate the answer. Sorry to put anyone out. I won't ask anymore questions on rules ever. I'll just download a rulebook onto my phone and move along. Thanks iacas and David in FL for the encouragement and the download.

It's fine to ask a question. Just do a little to look into things yourself, first.

It's one of the best ways to learn.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Yes, with that lie that was the best percentage play. Less than one percent chance he gets on green if he hits a 3W or something and even less he holes a putt for eagle after that.  He dug the grave on 17th 🥴. Ughhh.. will prolly haunt him for life. Don't you mean yes, he did the right thing in laying up? Or am I the one who is confused.
    • I voted no. His lie was bad and his long shots were getting squirrelly. His tee shot on 17 was awful. Anywhere right and there’s possibly a playoff. Tee shot at 18 was also a miss. He was losing confidence in his long game at that point.
    • Still no wedges! Jeez i am past 10 weeks on those now
    • Lol. Yeah well I’ve succumbed to just living with them. I’d rather quit than use all hybrids. Just can’t do it. If I have to hit a long putt…like 50+ feet….yeah, yeah I’m Sure I could shank a putt.    Imagine if someone completely covered your club head with lead tape into a ball. Then took all the markings off the grip. Then at the top of your back swing the lead tape comes off and you’re expected to hit the ball squarely. That’s how much feel I have for the club head. Be it a short chip or a full swing. Zero natural talent. 
    • Long second shot from the rough over water to a front pin ... with trees in the way I think?  Onto the green was unlikely, maybe I could see trying to hit it over the green or maybe into the bunker for that chance to hole out instead of a full swing.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Doughboysigep
      Doughboysigep
      (48 years old)
    2. gf-ollie
      gf-ollie
      (30 years old)
    3. IcyInMyEyes
      IcyInMyEyes
      (39 years old)
    4. JB5082
      JB5082
      (20 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...