IGNORED

Major Head Case - Been in a Slump for 8 Months

Note: This thread is 1092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi,

I admit it; I'm a major head case with golf.  First off, I am planning on taking the next few weeks away from the game as the thought of playing right now causes me dread.

I'm pushing 60, though physically I'm in good shape.  Over the past eight months my index has risen from a 4.5 to well over 9; from shooting in the upper 70s/low 80s to upper 80s/low 90s.  I drive the ball well most of the time (avg. 270), but I lead "the tour" on bogeys or worse from the middle of the fairway.  I can hit great iron shots, but not nearly often enough anymore.  I average probably 3.5 shots every time I get a wedge in my hand regardless of distance.  My touch around the greens has disappeared and if I get one putt per round longer than 4' to fall that's good.  I 3 putt a lot because I either can't get my approach putt close enough (more issues with touch), or I miss the 3-5 footers.  Yes I've tried different putting grips.  I also hit several shots a round that just come out of nowhere, like topping one or snap hook.

I just went on a golf trip with friends which was fun except my golf was again terrible.  Of course the guys make comments like "wow, you used to be good" which don't help.  Now I'm afraid of picking up a club let alone trying to play.

I'm not even sure why I'm posting this or what help I'm seeking.  Can't discuss with the wife as she wants to forbid me from playing until I can play without getting down/angry/depressed.

I would hate to have to accept that this is my new normal and I'm going to play this way from now on.  After all the hard work, hours, $$$, etc. I've put into the game that would feel like a complete failure.

If anyone has an constructive suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing from you.  Thanks for listening.
Ed

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I doubt it's your head, except that you should find an instructor to help you simplify what you're thinking about.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is just my opinion, ultimately @iacas is right, you need to get yourself an instructor, but in addition to that, I think you need to treat your improvement like a struggling business. If you had a struggling business you would decide on a path you wanted to take to make it better. So not only set a goal, but then measure yourself on how your practice is improving it. If you felt iron play was where you are struggling, then measure your average distance from the hole and along with your instructor see if you are improving to decide if you are working on the right things.

I find when I start doing this, some of the other pieces of my game start to get better.

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!