IGNORED

Best Golf After Long Break. Why?

WedgesMcGoo
Note: This thread is 1084 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all.

I have oft-wondered this but after my COVID golfing experience promoting a particularly sharp example of what I’m about to describe, wondered if anyone here ever experiences anything similar… and if so, do you have any advice on how to counteract?

I’m 37  I used to play a LOT of golf when I was young but when work and family commitments got a bit intense, stopped playing regularly at around age 23. I was ok but nothing special, playing off around 5 or 6 when playing most regularly. In recent years I’ve fallen back in love with the game and started playing with mates 3 or 4 times a months during the UK spring and summer. I actually think I’m a better player now than I was when I was younger, a mixture of maturity and a better temperament and the ethic to actually practise at what I’m bad at. I now manage to play to about a 3 handicap.

I detest playing in wet or cold weather so limit my rounds to March to October and don’t play at all during the winter. COVID last year hampered even these months so only ever got out for around 10-12 rounds, the last of which coming in October last year.

This year, I played my first round a couple of weeks ago. I went to the range in preparation a couple of days prior and couldn’t believe how sweet I was hitting the ball. I had a top and a shank on the par 5 first but managed to scramble for a par. Bogeyed the second then had two crystal clear strikes on 3 which totally settled me down. I walked to the 4th tee feeling unstoppable. From there on in a didn’t put a foot wrong or miss-strike a single ball on my way to a 2 under gross 68.

The reason for bringing this up is not to brag (well… a bit… it did make me incredibly proud) but rather to point out that this pattern of competence is fairly consistent. It doesn’t usually come on round one, it’s usually round 4 or 5 but generally speaking it takes me a little time to acclimatise and swing freely, then I can shoot something silly. Unfortunately it’s all downhill from there. Every single year. I just find myself battling my swing and striking for the rest of the season, often times to the point that I really quite detest the game. I spend the late summer looking forward to the sweet release of winter golfing hibernation.

The obvious answer is ‘no expectation, no swing thoughts’. I’m sure there’s something in that, but if that’s all it is, surely there’s a way to bottle that psychological environment so that I can at least capture it a few times during the season? Is there something more mechanical where my swing is actually encouraged to shallow out when I’m a little more stiff and the golfing muscles are a little tighter?

Can anyone else relate to this or am I completely weird? I don’t expect to play my best every round of course but it would be really nice to at least be able to reach the heights more than once or even just at a different time of year!

3 hours ago, WedgesMcGoo said:

Can anyone else relate to this or am I completely weird?

Not even remotely, you weirdo 😜

Congrats on your great round 😃

• Funny 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, WedgesMcGoo said:

Can anyone else relate to this or am I completely weird? I don’t expect to play my best every round of course but it would be really nice to at least be able to reach the heights more than once or even just at a different time of year!

I can relate. I usually need/like to warm up and at least get loose before playing as I’m 61. Last week, my wife and I got to play 9 at a really nice private course with a member. We didn’t get a chance to hit balls or even loosen up. My first drive was right down the middle on a dogleg right par 5. My second shot was a beautiful 4H over a hazard. My approach was a 95 yard gap wedge to 2 feet. Birdie.

Sometime we relax with I expectations and our golf swing just takes over.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1084 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!