IGNORED

Bloomberg: Golf's COVID Comeback and the $100 Golf App Boom

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1077 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Digital caddie apps have had a pretty good uptake percentage among more than casual golfers in 2020, hopefully they can help retain them.

Now more than 40% of core golfers—defined as playing at least eight rounds a year—use a golf-related app, NGF said. And they have plenty of options.

Golfshot, which more than doubled downloads in April according to Apptopia, pitches an augmented reality feature that displays distances as an overlay of a live course view. 18Birdies says that “swing practice will never be the same” thanks to its coaching software powered by artificial intelligence. And Golflogix touts a “game-changing app” with five million users worldwide.

You probably generally know most of what's in this piece if you've been keeping up with current golf events, but it's Bloomberg so I'll always read it. Some apps in here, SwingU, I never heard of. I think I've tried Golfshot and Golflogix but I use 18 Birdies for GPS distances because it's easy to use. One thing it didn't mention was coaching apps like Skillest or Hudl. Ask any golf pro generally and they'll tell you they've been very busy this past year.

Hmmmm, what happened in 2012 to account for the jump?

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 11.10.18 AM.png

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Bloomberg: $100 Golf App Boom
  • nevets88 changed the title to Bloomberg: Golf's COVID Comeback and the $100 Golf App Boom

I currently have 4 different apps downloaded on my phone, but am currently using Hole 19 and am sticking to the free version.  I am using it more for score keeping than anything else, though I suppose I could consider distances with it on new courses.  On my home course, I generally don't bother with that

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I got Golfpad and actually paid to upgrade. It has taken numerous strokes off my game for one simple reason:

As I diligently mark every shot, I know I have accurate averages for my clubs. Not carry of course but overall distance. Hard to deceive myself when the distances, measured over hundreds of shots (my 4h has the least with 117 and the driver the most at 934). There is enough data to tell me my average distance.

And since it has strokes gained...not easy to lie to myself about which part of my game is strongest and weakest.

Grateful for the apps. They help me know where to focus

Note: This thread is 1077 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!