IGNORED

Greenside Bunker Shots

Note: This thread is 5869 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello,

Can anyone offer any advice on bunker shots please ?
Maybe some drills, swing routines etc.

Basically if I'm in a greenside bunker, and attempt to splash it out and land it on the green, I either :

a) Take no sand whatsoever and the ball shoots about 30 yards over the green
b) Advance the ball a foot or so, and therefore leave it in the bunker

Now obviously my technique is all wrong somewhere, as one of the above happens every single time I attempt a bunker shot, but obviously I now think a lack of confidence makes it worse.

I don't have a conventional SW, I use a Nike 56 degree wedge. Does this matter ?

Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Have gone through a similar issue with the catching it clean problem - I fixed it by ensuring I hit down & through about 3" behind the ball. When lining up, my eyes are focussed on the spot 3" behind - before, I was looking at the ball and thinking about hitting behind. Then always caught it clean.

I use either a Titleist 56 or 60 so your Nike will work ok I would imagine

Superquad
Fusion #3
Big Bertha Warbird #5
755 3-PW
Vokey SM56.10 & 60.08 White Hot 2-ball

Hello,

First things first johnny yes it does matter, get a sandy the flange on the sand wedge stops it digging in.

The basic sand shot,assume an open stance ball in middle ,wieght towards front foot. Open the clubface depending the hieght required(practice). Keep a smooth tempo with a good follow through be committed to the shot hitting the sand about 2 inches behind the ball

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Let me offer some encouragement: this is one of the easiest shots you can hit. In fact -- I'd almost rather be in the greenside bunker than facing a 50+ft. put.

I definately rather be 20yds from the pin in the bunker, than 20yds away in the rough. What's the bounce on your 56* nike?
In Le Bag:

Driver: Burner 420 (circa 2002)
3-Wood: Original Bubble Burner (circa 1998)
5-Wood: noneHybrids: noneIrons: Silverscot Forged TourWedges: SV Tour BlackPutter: Black Series i #1Bag: Edge

go to youtube, and search for steve bishop's bunker video
i learned how to hit bunker shots immidiately after watching the video

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

Like every other piece of advice, swing easy and make sure to finish. Many times people swing too hard and decelerate. They also finish the swing upon contact as opposed to going through the ball.

Find a bunker you can practice from.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Hello,

Like Mr. Eagle said your wedge can matter since sand wedges have what is called a flange that effects how much the club digs, bounces, or slides in the sand.

Watch the pros and you will see that they do the following: #1: Open their clubface (so that it faces the sky). The open clubface sets loft, spin, and dig characteristics of the club into effect. #2: Align their shoulders, hips, and feet open (left of target for right handers). This in effect creates a swing path that counters the open clubface, and can promote a steeper angle of attack and more spin. #3: Dig their feet into the sand. This gives them an idea of how deep the sand is, and how likely the club is to dig or bounce. Two tips that might help you with your greenside bunker shots. Set your hands at address where you want the club to enter the sand. (Steve Elkington tip) Waggle/practice swing (without hitting the sand ) the way you intend to swing. The more your practice swing and real swing are alike the better chance you have of hitting a solid shot. (Dave Pelz tip).

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

Really good tips so far.

I'd add these as well.

1) Keep your weight a little forward so you can follow through easier and avoid skulling the ball.

2) Keep your lower body quiet so that you're more precise with the impact position.

3) keep your knees bent so that you have more body control.

4) Come in with a shallow entry so the club impacts the sand and then slides instead of digging.

I struggled with sand shots forever then i got a bit of advice that helped.

Set up about a dollar bill width behind the ball... Always take a full swing.. And adjust how far you want the ball to go by how far you open your stance, and how far behind the ball you hit.
Note this doesnt work in the least bit for some people and is probably a bad idea... But it works wonders for me... So try it out...

Thanks for all your replies, there's some excellent advice for me to try.

I'm going to spend the next week or so doing nothing but bunker shots in the hope that I'll find the right rythym and technique.

This was a drill that was given to me when I started. Go to a practice bunker and draw a box around the ball, leaving about 1 1/2 inches of space on all sides. Now, swing and knock out the box. Three things to remember on all sand shots....
1. Follow through
2. Never Decelerate
3. Knock out the box.
In My Bag:

Driver: taylormade.gif R11 TP 9˚ -Diamana Kai'li 65
Woods: cleveland.gif Launcher FL 13˚
Hybrids: titleist.gif909H 19˚, 24˚Irons: mizuno.gif MP-53  5-P Wedges:  mizuno.gif MP-T11 50, 54 titleist.gifBlack Nickel 58.08 Putter: cleveland.gifClassic Black Platinum #2 Ball: titleist.gif ProV1x -  Hole-in-one 4/17/09 www.colonialcountryclub.org

This was a drill that was given to me when I started. Go to a practice bunker and draw a box around the ball, leaving about 1 1/2 inches of space on all sides. Now, swing and knock out the box. Three things to remember on all sand shots....

Thats about as good of advice as you're gonna get, right there.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I actually use a 60* wedge out of bunkers. My problem was that I always hit the ball too cleanly and skulled it across the green so I gave up on a SW.

With a 60* and an open stance, you have enough loft that your chances of flying it over the green are slim and worst case scenario you get it 2 feet out of the bunker and leave a lengthy putt to get up and down.

Ideally, I can still take some sand to soften the landing, but I won't dig the club in and I won't fly it over.

That said, it's tough for me to stick it to 2 feet from across the green but I definitely don't put up high numbers. Just another part that I need to polish to bring that handicap down.

I would say go with what works for you. There are a few ways to attack it, so your best bet is to drop a few balls in the bunkers next time you play and experiment. (Assuming no one is playing behind you)

In My Bag:

Driver: R7 460
5w: Bah!
3w: F Speed LDHybrid: CPR3 3iIrons: Acer XK High Trajectory 4-PWWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52* 54* 60*Putter: Daytona CGBBall: One Platinum Tour ix

I too struggle out of the sand, some days it's ok and the others it's bad, but never good. Thanks for all the tips guys! My problem is I got a tip somewhere years ago about setting up open, body and club face. Take the club back along the foot line and come down along the target line. I don't know if this is good advice but it for some reason has stuck with me, I guess I never came up with another swing thought. But thanks to the replies I have some new things to try.

I think a lot of it comes from confidence too, I don't have any in the sand, I am that guy who always says, "heads up" right before I blast.
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

the biggest advice I can give you:
FOLLOW THROUGH!

So many people quit on sand shots because they are afraid the ball will go flying.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

great advice, its as simple as that.

like the other guys said, keep your weight forward, open stance, and an open face if you are comfortable doing so. i know a few golfers who hit it fine out of the sand with a square clubface. its not the traditional way but if you dont feel comfortable opening the clubface, that will work fine too.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

Note: This thread is 5869 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!