IGNORED

Destin, FL

OoAaronoO
Note: This thread is 961 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Going to destin in August.  Played Kelly's plantation last summer looking at emerald bay or Regatta Bay Golf & Yacht Club. Anyone have played the 2 or somewhere else thats worth checking out?

• iacas changed the title to Destin, FL
  • Administrator

I've always felt like Destin is an out-of-the-way type of place. Most of the FL people we get here are Tampa, Orlando, even Miami… Jacksonville sometimes.

But Destin has a good amount of golf. I wonder if the age is just bad for likelihood of going online to talk about golf?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

I live in Tallahassee. Playing Windswept Dunes this Friday. It's in Freeport, north of Santa Rosa Beach. Will give a report after I play, but it is supposed to be spectacular. The only courses I have played in Destin are Kelly Plantation and The Links Golf Club at Sandestin. The Links course was fun. Short and a ton of water. 

15 minutes ago, gray said:

I live in Tallahassee. Playing Windswept Dunes this Friday. It's in Freeport, north of Santa Rosa Beach. Will give a report after I play, but it is supposed to be spectacular. The only courses I have played in Destin are Kelly Plantation and The Links Golf Club at Sandestin. The Links course was fun. Short and a ton of water. 

I'm going next week. Gonna play Regatta Bay,  hopefully ill enjoy

3 hours ago, gray said:

I've also only played Kelly and The Links Sandestin.  Both were a lot of fun.  Kelly was my favorite.  Sandestin maybe a little too tight and too many houses in danger of my tee shots. 🙂

Regatta Bay is on my list to play next. Don't think you can go wrong with that choice.

Links Sandestin was tight. Luckily my 4-hybrid was flying straight off the tee that day. I think I hit driver on only 2 holes. 

4 minutes ago, gray said:

Regatta Bay is on my list to play next. Don't think you can go wrong with that choice.

Links Sandestin was tight. Luckily my 4-hybrid was flying straight off the tee that day. I think I hit driver on only 2 holes. 

I'll let you know how it is next week

23 hours ago, gray said:

I live in Tallahassee. Playing Windswept Dunes this Friday. It's in Freeport, north of Santa Rosa Beach. Will give a report after I play, but it is supposed to be spectacular.

We stay in the Santa Rosa Beach / Blue Mountain Beach area just about every year (save the occasional switch to Hilton Head Island...which we did again this year).  Windswept in Freeport is one of my go-to visits.  Spectacular is probably a little strong, but I do like the place.  The value is especially good since you're inland, non-resort.  I like the layout--less water-everywhere-target-golf, and more, well, 'windswept dunes'--and it's pretty open so you can be aggressive off the tee when you're playing well.  The only negatives are the drive from the beach, relative to the other area courses--and, being inland, you lose the sea breeze...so feels much hotter and the flying insects can get a little bothersome.  Take your sun screen and bug spray.

Beyond Windswept, I've probably played the Sandestin resort courses the next-most...including the Links probably most often (I can be frugal ;-) ).  It is a little tight and watery, but still a nice layout.  In spite of that, I've put up some of my better scores there, including a hole-out from ~102y a couple of years ago on one of the prettier holes on the bay.  That was a nice memory.  

You guys enjoy your trips & rounds.  May the birdies be plentiful.

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

I am in Tallahassee also but I was born and raised in Fort Walton Beach.  I worked at the Sandestin golf courses through college.  Some of the good courses to play would be:  Kelly Plantation, Regatta Bay, Sandestin Links and Raven.  

Note: This thread is 961 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!