IGNORED

Monty criticises Masters invite criteria

BASHERBAKER69
Note: This thread is 5874 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
He is not a career underperformer, having won 8 order of merits, and having finished 10 times in the top ten at majors (not bad going to be fair to him).

That's practically the definition of underperforming. It's like being the career money winner among those never to have won a PGA Tour event (I think Brett Quigley might be tops in that category). He too is an underperformer.

Monty = underperformer. Not once has he even won a PGA Tour event!
The european tour is not the "B league", especially in recent years where it has fully held its weight against the american tour.

No it hasn't. Once you take out the players who play both (sorry, but there go your Ernies, Retiefs, Padraigs, Poulters, etc.) tours - most of whom play primarily in the U.S. - the Euro tour lacks any depth whatsoever.

47-49 on the money list currently are Kenny Perry, Mike Weir, and Jonathan Byrd. On the Euro Order of Merit they're Peter Hanson, Felipe Aguilar, and Anders Hansen. It gets worse from there on out. I'm not saying European players are weaker - but because most of them are over here playing for "real money" on the PGA Tour, the European Tour is left as weak. It's the B league. Given the choice and opportunity, the better players play the PGA Tour far more frequently. They'd be stupid not to. So whoopee for Monty - he won the B Flight Club Championship eight times, but hasn't won a single match in the A Flight.
It is very arrogant to call the European Tour the B League

No it's not. It's simply factual. Those who can play on the PGA Tour tend to opt to do so.

recent Ryder Cup performances show this.

It's already been pointed out how silly this argument is. European players are not being discussed - the strength of the average European Tour field is. And, on the whole, it's a much, much weaker tour.

THE EUROPEAN TOUR HAS STRENGTH IN DEPTH WHEREAS THE US TOUR HAS A FEW GREAT PLAYERS AND A LOT OF VERY MEDIOCRE ONES AT THAT.

That's not even close to true. Just look at the OWGR of several of the players towards the bottoms of the respective tour's money/FedEx/merit lists. You're deluding yourself if you think the Euro Tour is a "deeper" tour.

I don't understand why Monty has lost out for commercial gain- Augusta is making a ton of money from this event already, and to cut him out of the event for a few bucks is not equitable in my view.

I doubt they cut him out "for a few bucks." Perhaps they cut him out because he sucks and didn't earn his way in.

I also remember Monty doing dubious things to get in LAST year, IIRC. Wasn't it just last year when he miraculously found a great lie in a fairway bunker on his way to a high finish in an event that helped move him into the top 50 in the world? Yeah...
I have not looked at the field- is Faldo or O Meara playing?

If they want to play when they're 90 I don't have a problem with it. Both won multiple majors - including the Masters - and have earned their way in.

The only thing Monty's earned lately is a high alimony payment.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with Iacas here.. The European Tour lacks depth...Personally i think the Nationwide Tour is better...If Monty wants to play with the big boys--then he should drag his butt across the Pond and play on the best tour in the world..Monty is kind of bragging about how--as Iacas pointed out-- winning the B flight club championship..When you take the retiefs the cabrreras and the jimenez's and the Casey's the european tour's depth drops off severely--

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

Monty of 1997 was too good a player not to invite. Where is he on the OWGR if he's such a great player?

Shindig, you rule.

Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

No it hasn't. Once you take out the players who play both (sorry, but there go your Ernies, Retiefs, Padraigs, Poulters, etc.) tours - most of whom play primarily in the U.S. - the Euro tour lacks any depth whatsoever.

The European Tour is growing at a faster rate than the PGA Tour, for example the new race to Dubai series in 2009 (I believe) which has something around a 10 million euro purse (I believe) something the PGA Tour can not match. Also many PGA Tour players have also played on the European Tour, ironically Tiger Woods was the leading money winner on the European Tour in 2007, although admittedly he was not in the order of merit, but does this mean that by your argument you can not count Tiger as a PGA Tour player because he has played on both tours? Any Pro that has played the British Open has played on the European Tour, so bang, you have just lost all of your top PGA Tour players, according to your theory that those who play both tours don't count in this argument. Monty has spent little time in America, and in theory does not have the game for America, He plays what I would call true golf, as opposed to the target golf regularly played in America, Monty has been let down in America by mainly his lack of distance. In the top 20 of the world you have Padraig Harrington, Henrik Stenson, Luke Donald, Angel Cabrera and Lee Westwood. In the top 30 you have Andres Romero, Niclas Fasth, Ian Poulter, Martin Kaymer. In the top 50 you have Paul Casey, Richard Sterne, Miguel A Jimenez, Soren hanson. In my Eyes the Europeans are doing pretty well. But lets go a bit deeper - In the 2007 European Order of Merit you have golfers outside the top 50 such as Graeme McDowell, Brett Rumford, Robert Karlsson, Anton Haig, Martin Kaymer, Thongchai Jaidee, Anthony Wall, Paull McGinley, the list obviously goes on. Outside the top 50 on the PGA Tour Money list you have golfers such as Charley Hoffman, John Mallinger, Pat Perez, Mark Wilson, Kevin Sutherland, Rod Pampling etc and I can honestly say that the European players outside their top 50 would give the PGA Tour players outside their top 50 a very very good run for their money. No strength in depth? you don't realise the qaulity of golfers the European Tour has.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

The European Tour is growing at a faster rate than the PGA Tour, for example the new race to Dubai series in 2009 (I believe) which has something around a 10 million euro purse (I believe) something the PGA Tour can not match.

I couldn't agree more. I would really love to see some of the american players come over and lay soem of the european style of courses on a regular basis. I have a feeling they would be upset by the deep bunkers, narrow fairways and slower more undulating greens, and more importantly, that the course isn't setup to 7,800 yards, rather 7,000 and made tricky by good course design. Other than tiger woods, it is reare that americans come over and do particularly well on day to day basis on the european tour, whereas plenty of europeans do plenty well on the american tour!

Driver - 905r 9.5* with UST Proforce VT Stiff
3 Wood - SQ 3+ 13* with Grafallloy prolaunch blue Stiff
5 Wood - SQ 5* 19 with Aldila NV65 stiff
Irons - MP 67 3 + 5-PW 2deg Up + 1/2" with DG S300 shaft.
Wedges - SV 52/10 with true temper s400 BV Spin Milled 56/10 Wedge Flex BV Spin Milled 60/04...

Its nice that the Americans want to champion their own tour, but the Euros want to champion their tour too.

By the way, the Nationwide tour does not have better players than the European tour- i cant believe someone said that- this is just not factually true.

Anyway, Monty should be at Augusta whatever us bloggers think. Monty may not be that highly regarded by the average American thinks he knows it all spectator , but my sources tell me that in the professional world, American players and Euros alike have the highest of respect for Monty. What happened at Brookline was a one off and the American team supported him after the match in the press conference- look at Payne Stewarts interview after the match.

If we called up Tiger, he would say that Monty should be with him at Augusta.

By the way, what is on the menu at the Champions Dinner this month and will Phil M have 3 servings?

Last night they spoke of Monte on the GC regarding his comment... can't remember who said it, but response was "he should have played better"

Also, Monte could try qualifying by winning this week at the Shell-Houston... is he there, hell no, he's back in Scottland bitching and whining about not getting his invite.

They also had a new Top 10 on the GC last night... Monte was #1 as far as prominent golfers to not win majors... looks he can carry that crown forever, since I'm pretty sure Winged Foot was his last shot.

BTW... American players don't play the Euro Tour because why would they want to when the best money is over here, and usually the best competition. And thanks for insulting our courses... saying they are only tough because they are long with fast greens while Europe has superior courses that are actually tough because they have deep bunkers and slow tricky greens, etc.... I call BULLSHIT on that whole comment.... and it is kind of a dickish thing to say. Both the US and Europe have nice courses, and both are tough... correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the US and other countries seem to hand England their asses in the British Open until Paddy finally broke through last year... oh I thought so.

And I highly doubt Tiger or any other players (who actually qualified) will miss Monte this year... unless of course you are talking about missing him in the sense that they knew it was one more spot filled by a non-contender.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Once you take out the players who play both (sorry, but there go your Ernies, Retiefs, Padraigs, Poulters, etc.) tours - most of whom play primarily in the U.S. - the Euro tour lacks any depth whatsoever.

Just as a matter of interest, iacas, once you take out the Ernies, Retiefs, Padraigs, Poulters and other 'world' golfers (such as the Aussies and S Africans), where does that leave the PGA Tour?

The only 'strength in depth' that comes to mind is the size of the average waistband, which seems to increase in direct proportion to their distance from the top echelon - Woods...er...Woods...ummm...ah yes, Mickelson, Furyk...um...Cink, and...er...(someone help me here!)

The European Tour lacks depth...Personally i think the Nationwide Tour is better...-

As I've said before, if you really do believe that, then you don't know your donkey from your elbow.

Just as a matter of interest, iacas, once you take out the Ernies, Retiefs, Padraigs, Poulters and other 'world' golfers (such as the Aussies and S Africans), where does that leave the PGA Tour?

Then stop watching PGA golf. Stick to the european stuff. It always helps put me to sleep at night.

Then stop watching PGA golf.

By a remarkable coincidence, I've cancelled my subscription to Setanta Golf Channel, which shows the PGA Tour. I was not getting value for money.

The TOUR is interesting when it has elite fields - which is essentially the WGC events and the Majors, all of which are available on satellite and BBC channels. The run of the mill TOUR event just doesn't stir the blood and coverage is constantly interrupted by commercials. And I really, really enjoy watching golf. Anyway - what was your response to the point that, if you remove the multi-tour players (as iacas suggested one should do in order to make a fair analysis of standards on the European Tour) things look a bit thin beyond the established handful of elite players? Just as a matter of interest, I've had a quick look at the European Tour's schedule, winners and fields. The British Open has been dominated not by Americans, as such, rather by Tiger Woods. The best year the US players have had for a long time was in 2000, when there were six in the top 10. Worst was probably 2002, with just one - Scott Hoch. Last year there were four and the top 10 was evenly split between PGA and European Tour players, with four of the top five places taken by European Tour members. There were no Americans within three shots - and Padraig Harrington is Irish, btw; I don't think he'd like being called English. Nearest Englishman - Justin Rose, who tied with Tiger. Nearest Scot - Ross Bain (I don't know him, either, but he finished ahead of, eg, Tom Lehman, Jerry Kelly, Scott Verplank, etc). No Welshmen made the cut, fyi. Earlier this season (last year, in fact!) Mickelson won the HSBC China Masters from a field that included Vijay, Westwood, Harrington, Stenson, Cabrera, Goosen, Els, etc. Not too bad. Jimenez won the Hong Kong Open ahead of Weir, KJ Choi, Daniel Chopra, Goosen, Hansen, Charlie Wi, etc - not too bad for an event 8,000 miles from home before the major part of the season has got going. Check out also the MasterCard Masters, BMW PGA at Wentworth, Scottish Open, French Open, Irish Open, Volvo Masters, the Mid-East swing (Dubai, Qatar, Abu Dhabi) and so on and so forth and I think you'll find some pretty respectable fields. Last weekend's Open de Andalucia was actually better than I expected - Thomas Levet (nice to see him back after a very nasty virus) won from Ollie Fisher, who you probably won't have heard of - 19 years old, really rather promising and unlucky not to win; inexperience cost him, I suspect. Westwood was a shot further back and the field also included Jimenez, Jose-Maria Olazabal (also returning from illness), Rory McIlroy (still only 18 and building a respectable career), various Swedes, Australians, and so on. Just a regular event, not in the premier rank but respectable. If you wish to check anything, visit www.europeantour.com . You may be enlightened.

If we called up Tiger, he would say that Monty should be with him at Augusta.

If we called up Tiger? What the heck are you talking about, that is a ridiculous statement and sounds like you are grasping at straws.

Phil M having 3 servings? What does this have to do with anything? If you have not noticed Phil has slimmed down quite a bit, unlike Monty.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

Ruari:

I actually watch many Euro events if not all mostly the final two days. So by your estimation, I may already be enlightened. What I do know is Europe has some solid players, but the reason they fail to perform in the U.S. is because of the additional pressure because they know what tour is the real tour. The fields are average. I always hate to bring up players from Europe but the some that you guys always hang your hats on are Sergio and Justin Rose. Neither has had real success in America and both continue to try to be a big part of the PGA tour. Basically of all the players you have in Europe, I would take Hunter Mahan and he is far from the top American golfer, over all your top players . Casey, Rose, Garcia, Donald, Harrington,and anyone else you want to throw in.

Ruari:

Cabrera, Romero, Westwood, Howell, Adam Scott, Els, Goosen...

Oh, I just realised - you're kidding, right? To be fair, 32 rank in the world isn't too bad and if he has a really, really good run, he could maybe overtake (in reverse order) Martin Kaymer, Ian Poulter (that can't be right - isn't he No. 2?), Niclas Fasth, Westwood, Donald, Garcia, Stenson, Harrington, Rose - and those are just the European players who are eligible for the Ryder Cup. Mahan probably stands a good chance of getting into the US Ryder Cup team, though. 32nd in the world makes him the 9th-highest ranked American.

First off, Monty wouldn't even be griping if he had qualified. I know that's obvious, but it's worth mentioning again. As for Monty's underperforming, I agree to an extent. If he was playing the PGA Tour the last 15 or 20 years, he probably wouldn't have any money titles to his credit. And his lack of a major championship victory is a killer on the world golf scene.

Comparing the PGA Tour and European Tour is crazy. There is no comparison. The PGA Tour is superior in every way. Ask Lee Westwood (currently second on Order of Merit) how he has performed in the United States in recent years. I don't remember hearing his name too much here in the U.S.

BTW... American players don't play the Euro Tour because why would they want to when the best money is over here, and usually the best competition.

Hope your prepared for change, the European Tour will soon be competing with the PGA Tour money wise and competition wise.

And thanks for insulting our courses... saying they are only tough because they are long with fast greens while Europe has superior courses that are actually tough because they have deep bunkers and slow tricky greens, etc.... I call BULLSHIT on that whole comment

No one insulted your courses, the truth is most of (I say most of because too say all of would be inaccurate) your courses are set up very long, with deep rough, wide-ish fairways and fast greens. Europe's courses do tend to be shorter, with slower greens where course management is the key, and keeping the ball in play is the premium to good scores. I am not saying one continents courses are better than another continents courses, those are just the simple facts of the matter.

correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the US and other countries seem to hand England their asses in the British Open until Paddy finally broke through last year... oh I thought so.

In recent Years you could argue that the Americans have dominated the British Open, since 2000 6 of the champions have been American, however 3 of those victory's have been by Tiger Woods, another by David Duval and the other 2 victories were by Todd Hamilton and Ben Curtis. What are these "other countries you speak of though? did someone not do their research before posting?.

I don't think as a country you can say the US kicked the English's asses in the British open, as it was 4 different Americans, 2 of whom were unknown before the open. Maybe you should look at the top 10's of the British opens to see who really dominates the Open.

This is possibly the funniest and truest post in this thread

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I thought we were talking Monty and his "right" to play in the Masters rather than "My Tour is better than your Tour."

Looks like he's done OK at the Masters, the Caltex Singapore Masters, Volvo Masters, Volvo Scandinavian Masters, Ericsson Masters, One 2 One British Masters, Linde German Masters, Canon European Masters.

Seriously though, he's had one top ten finish at the Masters since 1998 and has missed the cut quite frequently the past few years. Sure they offer invites to golfers based on whatever criteria (expanding the Masters brand to other countries, whatever) but there's also another way to get in: win on the PGA Tour. Monty's claims are sour grapes.

I want to see the young, up and coming stars of the European Tour and see how they perform at the Masters. I've already seen what Monty can do and as recent performance shows, it's not on the weekend.

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Note: This thread is 5874 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!