IGNORED

Golf Ball With More Spin Than ERC, Less Than TaylorMade TP5

Note: This thread is 893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello everyone

I have played with ProV1 and TP5 and found I got more distance with the TP5.  I went to a driver fitting and used my TP5 for the fitting.  With all the different club selections, I briefly (couple of shots) got my spin down below 2900.  I thought I would look for a ball that might spin less and tried out the Callaway ERC.  Since I started playing with the ERC, my drives while playing, have been longer by about 10-15 yards.   My assumption is that I am getting less spin on the ball and the result (for me) is a longer drive.  The only issue now is that, I can't seem to hold the greens as well and get more roll and bounce around the greens.  

I am thinking I would like to try a golf ball that spins more than the ERC and less than the TP5 - any suggestions?

thank you

• iacas changed the title to Golf Ball With More Spin Than ERC, Less Than TaylorMade TP5
  • Administrator

That's a pretty narrow window. Why not play a TP5 and alter your driver shaft, head, or technique?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 months later...
On 8/22/2021 at 10:54 AM, lmorales425 said:

Since I started playing with the ERC, my drives while playing, have been longer by about 10-15 yards.   My assumption is that I am getting less spin on the ball and the result (for me) is a longer drive.  The only issue now is that, I can't seem to hold the greens as well and get more roll and bounce around the greens.  

Really? Are you sure about these numbers?
That feels like a really big difference. I'd really suggest confirming those numbers on a launch monitor. 

I'm no Alfred Einstein, but I've always been led to believe and it seems logical that all premium balls are pretty similar in driver distances. Such to the point where you are not likely to really notice the difference. Some do spin more around the greens than others, some have softer covers. But what you are talking about here is a pretty big difference. 

Is it possible that the course you are playing is literally "harder" now than it was before? Not more difficult... harder. Is it possible your drives are going farther because they are getting more bounce and roll, and that the balls are bouncing and rolling off the green because .... you are getting more bounce and roll? 

I gotta believe harder Earth would make a bigger difference than more "spinny" ball. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!