IGNORED

Intent to Hit Ball

jsgolfer

During our club championships final round last weekend.  Player A takes 2 practice swings, addresses the ball, starts his swing but on his down swing he tries to stop his swing.  In so doing, he still hits the ball and it dribbles forward.  

He says that he wasn’t intending to hit the ball, because he tried to stop his swing and therefore could re-tee and hit his shot again, with no penalty.  Our rules official agreed and he ends up winning by 1.  This occurred on the 33rd hole.

Now I remember the Kevin Na swing and then missing the ball and the rule was no swing.  Thoughts from any of our rules officials on here?  Seems like this was similar to the Kevin Na swing, except this golfer hit the ball forward.  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

The scenario and single response piqued my interest, but from what I could find it sounds like that is the right call!

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/articles/2019/04/golf-rules-hitting-ball-with-practice-swing-zach-johnson-masters.html

This was an interesting note:

However, prior to 2017 or if the Local Rule was not in effect, the player would have incurred a one-stroke penalty for accidentally moving their ball with a practice stroke on the putting green.

Edited by Caddysnack

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Caddysnack said:

The scenario and single response piqued my interest, but from what I could find it sounds like that is the right call!

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/articles/2019/04/golf-rules-hitting-ball-with-practice-swing-zach-johnson-masters.html

This was an interesting note:

However, prior to 2017 or if the Local Rule was not in effect, the player would have incurred a one-stroke penalty for accidentally moving their ball with a practice stroke on the putting green.

That's a ball that's in play.

If the ball isn't in play (because you've not yet made a stroke at it in the teeing area), it wasn't a penalty in 2016, either.

• Like 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, Caddysnack said:

I can't remember ever having seen this LR in force.