IGNORED

favorite major

obsessedgolfer
Note: This thread is 5769 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. what is your favorite major

• Masters
    • U.S. Open
    • British Open
    • PGA Championship

Mine is without question the United States Open. I can't believe that our Open Championship came in so low in this......ah.....Poll. I don't care for the "Uppity" attitude of the "Old Farts" in Augusta, the PGA has no "Charisma", the British is good, being the birthplace of Golf and having polite/knowledgeable fans, BUT the #1 spot for me goes to the US Open. It's OUR championship, (And I'm very Patriotic), run by the USGA, one of the two Governing Bodies of Golf around the world, the courses are always TOUGH, and they give anybody who "Has Stick" a chance to qualify and play. I detest Augusta National because it is in my view, an anomaly, and the membership is made up of charlatans living in denial.

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best

Ping G10 clubs:   D-9*, 3W-15.5*, H-18*, Irons-4 thru PW, W-50/ 54/ 58*, P- Redwood Zing 

Ball-Pro V1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I rank them like this 1. Masters 2. US Open 3. British Open 4. PGA

Good take - I agree. I love the Masters because (for those of us in Ohio) it's the year's first glimpse at the trees and flowers about to explode here. That gets me pumped to get to the course. By the time the PGA happens I'm thinking, "What? Why now? It's so hot I may not play today."

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I go for the British Open. Not just because I'm in the UK but because of the variety of shots required from those who want to win (or even play the weekend); the generally very knowledgeable (and courteous) crowds; the effect of the weather - wet or dry, sunny or cloudy - and that it's pretty accessible. Oh, and as Ben Hogan implied, anyone who wants to be regarded as great has to win it sometime.
It's often played on municipal courses, believe it or not, which means mere mortals have the chance to play on the same tracks as the heroes. Turnberry isn't muni but it's a Westin Hotels course, so it's open, too.
(Having said that, Muirfield, the Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers is renowned for its rudeness)
Also, very democratic - you can qualify from anywhere in the world and can enter the qualis with a handicap of 4 or better. Has been known to throw up the odd eccentric, like that guy who tried for 30 years to get in - he was a hopeless hacker, changed his name and supposed country of origin several times in his attempts to circumvent his lifetime ban from the competition. Died last year.
Second - US Open. Always very challenging and difficult for gaps to be closed, which makes Cabrera's win last year all the more remarkable. Goes to some great courses, of course - the 2000 event at Pebble Beach was great to see.
Third - the Masters, for its excitement on Sunday (till last year, anyway). It would be comfortably second if it wasn't for that heritage of 'whiteousness' - it admitted its first non-white member only in 1990, after an ultimatum from the PGA Tour to all the clubs about discrimination, and I don't believe Jim Thorp ever got to play there, but I stand to be corrected. And it still won't have women members. As a private club, it can choose its criteria but, you know, this is the 21st century.
Fourth - US PGA. Definitely the weakest of the Majors. Entry criteria includes a section for the club pros, which has been reduced but is still a reserved area - it's a weakness. IMHO, the Players' would be better for the coveted fourth place, but for its location - too close to Augusta for the variety the four Majors should have.

I have to say that both The Masters and the (British) Open are near and dear to my heart. I remember the summers in July, waking up to early morning golf at the British. The best of those days being a Sunday morning in 93' when my Greg Norman shot a 64 to take his 2nd Open at Royal St. George. Sadly, that would be his last. That, however, was the finest round of golf I have ever seen.

If I were a player though, I'd have to say that winning the US Open would be the greatest honor. The hardest test of golf on American soil, I love what this tournament represents.

The PGA has had finer days. I'm still of the belief that they should return to match play as they did in years past.

The TPC is going after the "5th Major" title, and I think it actually might have an edge over the PGA right now. Everybody loves the course at Sawgrass, more specifically the train wreck that is #17.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

US PGA. Definitely the weakest of the Majors. Entry criteria includes a section for the club pros, which has been reduced but is still a reserved area - it's a weakness.

You say that's a weakness but actually statistically the PGA has the strongest field of all the majors in terms of the top 100 players being there and conversely the masters has the weakest field.

My favorite Major is the US Open, by far. I enjoy the British open too but nothing beats a us open, imo. It is the much harder tourament to win and usualy has a much deeper field than the masters. The PGA almost seems like a "add in" major to me. Its bascially the us open jr. I think it should be a match play tourament (at least on the weekend) to distingusih itself from from the other 3. Then you would have a more rounded major set up.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

i like to see the weather play a factor, strong winds, rain, unseasonable temperatures and as these things are most likely to occur at the open, i go with that as my favorite, and these climatic conditions as well blend seamlessly with the rustic nature of the courses throughout the uk

also, the fans who do the occasional streaking or feminine beauty who rushes out naked to hug a pro adds quite a bit to the ambience not to be found at the corporate sanitized american majors

the british tabloids fill out the mix doing an excellent effort letting us know that these golfers are fools just like the rest of us

all brought to us by the overly manicured & well-healed r&a;, an inbred bunch of senile buffoons lost in the cesspools of time

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

The Masters .... because it is the first major of the season (which sets the mood for me with hopes that my season will be a positive one). The whole ambiance behind the tournament makes for great tv (and naps) in the Spring. Hope to make it down to Augusta sometime!
In my Sun Mountain Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade R7 SuperQuad 10.5°
3 wood: TaylorMade R7 Steel
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 2i(18*), 3i(20*)Irons: Titleist Ap2Wedges: Titleist Vokey 50* Oil Can & 54* SMPutter: Odyssey Black Series #1 / Ping Piper I-Series

You say that's a weakness but actually statistically the PGA has the strongest field of all the majors in terms of the top 100 players being there and conversely the masters has the weakest field.

From the eligibility criteria:

"The 20 low scorers in the 2007 PGA Professional National Championship (formerly CPC)" No other Major has that category. The Masters is something of a law unto itself and winners get invited back till they're pretty old - it's the last of them to retain the 'lifetime' exemption. But I don't think it has the weakest field - it certainly has the smallest - no doubt about that, but the world's top 50 are invited. The top 100 - are we talking OGWR or the Tour rankings? I suspect it's the latter, as category 8 of eligibility (for 2007) reads: "The 70 leaders in official money standings from the 2006 International through the 2007 Canadian Open." It isn't an OGWR-based Major - all the others are - and that's what makes it the weakest, in my view.

1.U.S. Open
2.The Masters
3.Pga Championship
4.The Players Championship
5.John Deer Classic
6.My regional championship
7.Junior Golf
Last in the world.British open not considered a major to me

How is it not?

The whole champion golfer of the year, golf revolves around Europe philosophy. It has really turned me off. I actually used to love the tournament but have been kind of soured as of late.

The Masters is definately tops for me... but I don't know what I would place 2nd, 3rd, 4th...

I like the PGA becasue they are willing to play some courses that are not in the US Open rotation.

I like the US Open because it is hard as hell...

I like the Open (British) because of the rich history and links golf...

I guess would say I like the last three equally and the Masters gets a slight nod.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

The whole champion golfer of the year, golf revolves around Europe philosophy. It has really turned me off. I actually used to love the tournament but have been kind of soured as of late.

Interesting view.....and I kind of agree that it is probably held a little higher than the US Open or the Masters....it's still a major (and one of the originals). I'm not knocking your opinion....you are entitled to that. Just saying.....

Last in the world.British open not considered a major to me

You just show yourself to be a complete donkey with that.

It's the original Major. If you rate other Majors higher, we can disagree but to come up with a comment like that - sheesh, what a donkey. Do you really expect to be taken seriously?

all brought to us by the overly manicured & well-healed r&a;, an inbred bunch of senile buffoons lost in the cesspools of time

This was good. Cracked me up! I wonder if your senile buffoons at R&A; would have a good time at a party with our senile buffoons at Augusta National.

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best

Ping G10 clubs:   D-9*, 3W-15.5*, H-18*, Irons-4 thru PW, W-50/ 54/ 58*, P- Redwood Zing 

Ball-Pro V1

The US Open. Especially now that the USGA is openng up the rotation to a greater number of public courses. I think its great that I can go play Torrey, Bethpage, Pebble Beach, Chambers Bay.

Note: This thread is 5769 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!