IGNORED

Any natural lefties play with right-handed clubs from habit?

TheSnapHooker
Note: This thread is 5798 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My grandfather was born in 1905 and when I was complaining about how hard it was to write on the desks in grade school he explained that when he was a little boy, they literally tied his left arm behind his back to force him to learn to write right handed. As he got older even though he could write better with his right hand, he wrote left handed poorly just "just to spite them sonsabeeches"

My grandmother was born in 1905; she was lefty and told me a very similar story, my friend.

I'm the only lefty out of her dozen plus grandkids, so she took an interest in telling me stores like that. And bought me the lefty scissors, lefty notebooks, all that kinda stuff. Your point about Mickelson's being lefty is noted -- and probably is a good point. Back in the day all we had was Bob Charles and Russ Cochran. :) I get to meet many Canadian lefty golfers where I work -- and I enjoy meeting another lefty. The stats I've heard are that 30% of golfers from Canada are lefty due to hockey. Every once in a while I'll ask if it's due to hockey or being natural lefty. Mike has done a lot for lefties. Do a Google about him and his comments on getting lefty equipment. Love that dude. And his book? The forward in his book about playing practice rounds at a certain major and them switching RH-LH equipment for a few holes?

I have been under a tree, and could not swing lefty, so i took out my putter, turned it around, swung righty and hit it 100 yards onto the green!

I can also do this with my sandwedge, i can advance the ball about 70-80 yards by doing this

Back in the "olden days", teachers and nuns used to beat your left hand if you tried to write or use your left hand dominately. It was considered the sign of the devil.

Ah, yes, I remember it well.

I do most things right-handed so I suppose the nuns could claim success with me. They have a point; I'm pretty well-adjusted. The bouts of paranoia, social isolation, inability to hold a job and a succession of failed relationships are all normal for someone of my age, the representatives of the holy order assure me. On the topic of availability of equipment - too right, it's harder. I went for a fitting at Callaway in Leatherhead (England) and loved the X20 6-iron I tried. Were they available for pretty much immediate delivery? No. 'Left-handed clubs are special order' the man said. I was surrounded by pictures of Phil Mickelson using Callaway drivers, Callaway irons, Callaway balls, etc, etc. Hmmppph.

I am a natural lefty who plays right-handed. When I was little my dad showed me how to hit a baseball, so I stood on the same side of the plate that he did. He was right-handed. I have not tried to hit long clubs left-handed, but I have tried putting and I putt left-handed and cross-handed. I really like the feel i get. I was never happy putting right-handed. I felt I lacked the distance control and it just didn't feel correct. So, I tried a left-handed putter and loved it with the right-handed grip. I have tried going back to a right-handed putter, but still don't like it.

• 2 months later...
Im sorry to resurrect this thread...but its touched a nerve.

I've been tempted to make the switch for a few years now. Been playing for about 12 years, righty. I'm a natural left, my dominant eye is my left eye, I throw lefty, bat lefty, write lefty....However, I started playing righty because that's the clubs that were available to me.

I've tried my buddies lefty clubs and they are darn awkward. But I'm convinced thats because of a lack of muscle memory. I am also convinced that I would have more control and power if I swung from the left side. I've been basically a high 90s player for the past 10 years. No amount of lessons have been able to get me to crack 90. My biggest problem is control. I suffer from massive misshits. 1 in every 20-25 swings is a flush swing. The rest are awful.

So I'm slowly trying to muster up the courage to try this....it would have to be a leap of faith, as I can't afford to keep my righty clubs and get lefty clubs....and I suspect the lefty clubs would be far less sellable, if the experiment is a failure...

regardless, I'd love to hear from others that have made the switch from right to left...in an effort to return to their natural side.

Any other natural lefties out there facing the wrong way over the ball!?

Actually I feel we are right and everyone else is wrong. I write and throw with my left hand but play golf, bat in baseball, and shoot in hockey right handed. However, what is the dominant hand in a right handed golf swing? The left of course.

Rob Tyska

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5798 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!