IGNORED

Hello

chihwah li
Note: This thread is 794 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all,

Have started playing golf as a way to be out of house and general flexibility, and health. Although a golf instructor is good, don't have unlimited money to pay for private lessons. That is why I am here, to be able to escape the sand trap with some help from other players who are already great at playing golf. And hopefully with some help of a good online teacher with videos, to teach myself the core principles of golf. Hope to have my Garmin R10 at home soon next month, then I can train some at home as well.

Don't know how my Golf with end, at least there is a valid start: good health and seeing more of this world then 4 walls.... ^_^

• Thumbs Up 1

Welcome to TST!   You have found the best place on the web to talk golf.   You've also found an excellent resource for video tutorials and online instruction.

30 day practice plan   Here, Erik has shared a wealth of lessons that are extremely helpful, short and sweet.

If you are looking for online instruction at a very reasonable rate, check here: Evolvr

We're glad you've joined!

Edited by dennyjones
  • Thumbs Up 2

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, chihwah li said:

Just successfully passed my golf handicap exam: HCP 54, extra 3 swings per hole. 

Please explain the process to me.   I'm from the US where we just go get clubs, arrive at a course and play, no exam required.   I wasn't aware of any handicap exam.     Educate me please

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

(edited)

Here in the Netherlands, my local Golf golf club will ask you to do a short 1 day course:

- learn basic rules

- introduction golf clubs: Sand wedge, pitching wedge, irons 9,7,

Then we are allowed to play locally at that club.

But for playing outside our home golf club, I passed the 2nd course:

Played holes with a PGA golf professional and checked my general knowledge (rules + points calculating) and if I was able to play fast enough. I had to hit a few good swings, so that the ball would go far enough for a beginner. I had a good day and was able to play quiet well. A few miss hits, ball into the lake, lost a ball into the woods. But in general I was good enough. And were allowed to become a member of the golf club and register NCF through them, allowing me to play anywhere around the world.

Next club: 3 wood training, then driver. still a big challenge for me.

Edited by chihwah li
  • Like 1

Thank for posting @chihwah_li. I think the various processes different golf organizations/clubs use is interesting. You're actually required to maintain a handicap?

• Like 1

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

@mohearn: Actually no, after the first course a person would have enough knowledge to play at the club locally, but cannot register any handicap local club or trough NGF.

Excuse me, NGF stands for "Nederlands golf Federatie". In the Netherlands the NGF registers the handicap for us Dutch golfers. 

That is what I know so far.

Now , I am waiting for my Garmin R10. 

• Like 2

Note: This thread is 794 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!