IGNORED

Would This Fly in Today's Cancel Culture?

dennyjones
Note:Β This thread is 818 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

4 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

This is interesting. I think they cut the segment too soon. He went on to say that the LPGA is good now and he's grown to really like what the current players do.Β 

Offensive-Comments.jpg

Mark Lye, a former PGA Tour winner turned golf commentator, said Sunday he was red from his role as a SiriusXM PGA Tour Radio host

Not only that, but his point about the WNBA might be shared by more than half the basketball fans in America.Β 

I feel like there's probably more to this story. Because that doesn't seem like a fireable offense.Β 

Yeah I gotta agree with you. It doesn't seem too offensive to me. Maybe the "gun to my head"?

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white)Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
4 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

This is interesting. I think they cut the segment too soon. He went on to say that the LPGA is good now and he's grown to really like what the current players do.Β 

Offensive-Comments.jpg

Mark Lye, a former PGA Tour winner turned golf commentator, said Sunday he was fired from his role as a SiriusXM PGA Tour Radio host

Not only that, but his point about the WNBA might be shared by more than half the basketball fans in America.Β 

I feel like there's probably more to this story. Because that doesn't seem like a fireable offense.Β 

Β 

6 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

Yeah I gotta agree with you. It doesn't seem too offensive to me. Maybe the "gun to my head"?

@DeadManΒ and @Golfingdad, your thoughts? πŸ˜‰

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

It’s a ridiculous trend. From what I read the guy didn’t insult the women/players of neither WNBA or LPGA. So I guess we’re not allowed to not like watching something?Β 
Β 

It’s entirely different to say something insulting about the athletes. But to just say you have no interest in watching is hardly grounds for firing.Β 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator

I'm with you all. While true, he could have said "I don't enjoy watching the WNBA" a bit differently than he did, but it's hyperbole, and so I don't really mind that too much. I'm not looking to be offended, though.

His Twitter feed, however, has a lot of disagreeable crap.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Β 

@DeadManΒ and @Golfingdad, your thoughts? πŸ˜‰

I agree with @Bucki1968Β that it was likely the gun comments. Β It was an attempt at humor but came across more as a completely unnecessary insult. Β His points are perfectly valid but he could’ve left off those two sentences.

That said, I do think it’s rude, but is it offensive? Β And is it offensive to the extent that he deserves being fired? Β Probably not. Β This seems more of a type offense where a slap on the wrist is warranted.

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

It’s a ridiculous trend. From what I read the guy didn’t insult the women/players of neither WNBA or LPGA. So I guess we’re not allowed to not like watching something?Β 
Β 

It’s entirely different to say something insulting about the athletes. But to just say you have no interest in watching is hardly grounds for firing.Β 

They play basketball for a living as entertainment and he said he’d rather commit suicide than watch that. Β It’s not too hard too see how that is an insult.

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

They play basketball for a living as entertainment and he said he’d rather commit suicide than watch that. Β It’s not too hard too see how that is an insult.

The WNBA should invite him to play in a scrimmage game for 5 minutes.Β  He'll end up with a better appreciation.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

The WNBA should invite him to play in a scrimmage game for 5 minutes.Β  He'll end up with a better appreciation.

Why?

He didn't say "they aren't athletes" or something.

He said he can't relate to them and that he doesn't enjoy watching them.

Neither do I. I didn't make a "gun to my head" comment about it, but I don't enjoy watching the WNBA either. Doesn't mean I think I could beat them at basketball or something.

People who don't play golf generally don't have an appreciation for the game until they play.Β  He needs to get up close and personal to gain an appreciation, in my opinion.Β  I enjoy watching the WNBA... very talented and athletic women.Β  I'm spoiled because I follow the multiple WNBA Champions, the Seattle Storm.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

People who don't play golf generally don't have an appreciation for the game until they play.Β  He needs to get up close and personal to gain an appreciation, in my opinion.Β  I enjoy watching the WNBA... very talented and athletic women.Β  I'm spoiled because I follow the multiple WNBA Champions, the Seattle Storm.

I love to play soccer. I rarely watch soccer.

I will play basketball almost any time it's offered, but I never watch it.

You're talking about stuff that's not related. He didn't say they weren't athletes. He said he didn't watch it and couldn't relate. You find it odd an old white male golfer can't relate to 25-year-old black (often) women basketball players?

3 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

How? I can’t stand hockey and never watch it. I also won’t watch daytime talk shows. I find NASCAR incredibly boring. How are any of those insults? You’re saying it’s insulting to not like watching these things?Β 

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

How about they scrimmage against an NBA team? See, I can choose what I want to watch. What I find entertaining. I wouldn’t find watching a professional WNBA player beating a old non-basketball player as a mark of her excellence. NASCAR drivers are incredibly skilled at what they do. I hate it and find no interest in it. I don’t need to race a professional driver to know they’re skilled. I just don’t care.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

If he did it I would suggest that nobody watch.

BTW, in the big picture, I have no issue with Mark Lye.Β  "I'd rather shoot myself..." is an old phrase with no inherent relationship to today's gun violence. Though it wouldn't hurt Mark to be open-minded and try to watch a WNBA game.

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

How? I can’t stand hockey and never watch it. I also won’t watch daytime talk shows. I find NASCAR incredibly boring. How are any of those insults? You’re saying it’s insulting to not like watching these things?Β 

How about they scrimmage against an NBA team? See, I can choose what I want to watch. What I find entertaining. I wouldn’t find watching a professional WNBA player beating a old non-basketball player as a mark of her excellence. NASCAR drivers are incredibly skilled at what they do. I hate it and find no interest in it. I don’t need to race a professional driver to know they’re skilled. I just don’t care.

None of that is the insulting part - it’s the β€œI’d rather commit suicide β€œ part that pushes it to the point of insult. Β Again, I don’t know that that warrants firing, but it certainly is an insult. And it’s silly to pretend otherwise.

• Administrator
Just now, Golfingdad said:

None of that is the insulting part - it’s the β€œI’d rather commit suicide β€œ part that pushes it to the point of insult. Β Again, I don’t know that that warrants firing, but it certainly is an insult. And it’s silly to pretend otherwise.

If you're gonna put quotes around it at least quote what he actually said.

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

If you're gonna put quotes around it at least quote what he actually said.

β€œβ€¦ Man, is there a gun in the house? Β I’ll shoot myself rather than watching that.”

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Golfingdad said:

β€œβ€¦ Man, is there a gun in the house? Β I’ll shoot myself rather than watching that.”

Thank you.

Twitter deleted the original tweet, too.

2 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

it certainly is an insult. And it’s silly to pretend otherwise.

No it isn’t. How is it insulting? He doesn’t find it entertaining. Cross country skiing is enormously difficult and those people work like sled dogs to prepare for it. I would rather watch an insurance seminar than to watch it on tv. That’s not an insult. Had he said the WNBA players are untalented and poor athletes, etc….that would be insulting. He can’t relate to it and finds it boring. Period. No insult.Β 

Note:Β This thread is 818 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!