IGNORED

Would This Fly in Today's Cancel Culture?

dennyjones
Note: This thread is 808 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

And it only takes 2 to 6 minutes.  (YMMV)

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I’m not sure what this has to do with “Cancel Culture” at all. Yes there’s a lot of sexual innuendo; there’s a lot of sex in modern advertisements. They’re just not as clever about it these days.

An advertisement would be “cancelled” if it prominently featured a woman (whose place is clearly at home in the kitchen) or the elevated socio-economic status of a white family compared to minorities, etc.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

58 minutes ago, billchao said:

I’m not sure what this has to do with “Cancel Culture” at all. Yes there’s a lot of sexual innuendo; there’s a lot of sex in modern advertisements. They’re just not as clever about it these days.

An advertisement would be “cancelled” if it prominently featured a woman (whose place is clearly at home in the kitchen) or the elevated socio-economic status of a white family compared to minorities, etc.

My opinion is cancel culture would go after Dr Pepper (assuming they still own the 7 Up brand) for an add like this today.  Cancel culture, to me, is any group of offended people who band together to make noise against something they disagree with.

42 minutes ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

My opinion is cancel culture would go after Dr Pepper (assuming they still own the 7 Up brand) for an add like this today.  Cancel culture, to me, is any group of offended people who band together to make noise against something they disagree with.

Seriously?

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

Seriously?

Yes, seriously.  Cancel culture has existed much longer than you and I have walked the earth.  Humans have always tried to cancel or suppress others they disagree with, or thoughts and ideas they don’t like.  It’s nothing new, just more amplified due to modern media.

If you say and or do something very offensive, you should face the consequences period. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from the reaction of others. This add wouldn’t fly today because it’s full of old a tired innuendos.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

11 hours ago, billchao said:

I’m not sure what this has to do with “Cancel Culture” at all.

I don't think this has anything to do with "Cancel Culture" either. 
Having said that the ad is just plain dumb. It's not even kind of clever. Actually makes me feel sad for the person who came up with it and thought he was clever. 

It reminds me of the kid that would tell the dirty joke that wasn't funny or clever on the playground and laugh and laugh just because it had a dirty word or concept in it. Meanwhile the rest of us are staring at the kid wondering what's wrong with him? 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I don't think this has anything to do with "Cancel Culture" either. 

Why not? It would get 7Up canceled, yes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Why not? It would get 7Up canceled, yes.

I actually don't know if it would or wouldn't. I just think it's dumb ad now and it was a dumb ad then. 

How old is that ad? I was trying to zoom in on the copyright in the bottom left corner and think it says 1968 but it is too fuzzy to be sure. 

There's a ton of those old ads that people would find highly offensive now. I've seen several that are a lot worse than that one. 

The reason that "cancel culture" really doesn't apply to this is because absolutely nobody would even suggest an ad like this today. 

I am pretty sure this is a fake ad.  Zoom in on the words and you can see pixelation.  

I think this is the real unedited one:  3WqD5-1443730638-blog-456.jpg

In my Bag:

Driver - SLDR 430 - 10.5 deg
3 Wood - SLDR HL
Irons - TM Tour CB's                                                                                                                                                                 Wedges - TM                                                                                                                                                                               Putter - Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball

11 hours ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

Yes, seriously.  Cancel culture has existed much longer than you and I have walked the earth.  Humans have always tried to cancel or suppress others they disagree with, or thoughts and ideas they don’t like.  It’s nothing new, just more amplified due to modern media.

"Cancel culture, to me, is any group of offended people who band together to make noise against something they disagree with."

Like the civil rights movement?  Like the suffrage movement?

18 minutes ago, Zippo said:

"Cancel culture, to me, is any group of offended people who band together to make noise against something they disagree with."

The best definition of cancel culture I can come up with is the withdrawal of support or boycott of a particular individual, company or institution after it has done or said something objectionable. 

Think of the examples that the term has been applied to. Harvey Weinstein, the Washington Redskins and Confederate monuments perhaps. The term is also somewhat loaded because the people that use it are the ones who are being "canceled". Those doing the "canceling" would generally say they are "holding XYZ accountable.".

While you can be sure a segment of the population opposed them, broad societal changes like the civil rights movement or suffrage aren't really things people would describe as cancel culture.

3 hours ago, Zippo said:

2 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

The best definition of cancel culture I can come up with is the withdrawal of support or boycott of a particular individual, company or institution after it has done or said something objectionable. 

Think of the examples that the term has been applied to. Harvey Weinstein, the Washington Redskins and Confederate monuments perhaps. The term is also somewhat loaded because the people that use it are the ones who are being "canceled". Those doing the "canceling" would generally say they are "holding XYZ accountable.".

While you can be sure a segment of the population opposed them, broad societal changes like the civil rights movement or suffrage aren't really things people would describe as cancel culture.

Assuming I’m understanding you accurately… agreed.  Human rights and cancel culture are not mutually exclusive.  But there can be of course be scenarios where they hold hands.

There are tons of examples of one vs the other, and where some meet.  I’m purposely avoiding specific examples, but I’m sure everyone can come up with several.

5 hours ago, Keep It Simple said:

I am pretty sure this is a fake ad.  Zoom in on the words and you can see pixelation.  

I think this is the real unedited one:  3WqD5-1443730638-blog-456.jpg

Very Interesting. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is interesting. I think they cut the segment too soon. He went on to say that the LPGA is good now and he's grown to really like what the current players do. 

Offensive-Comments.jpg

Mark Lye, a former PGA Tour winner turned golf commentator, said Sunday he was fired from his role as a SiriusXM PGA Tour Radio host

Not only that, but his point about the WNBA might be shared by more than half the basketball fans in America. 

I feel like there's probably more to this story. Because that doesn't seem like a fireable offense. 

Edited by ChetlovesMer
type-o

Note: This thread is 808 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!