IGNORED

Re-Gripping Issue

Note: This thread is 752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 hours ago, nvkevin said:

I just did my entire bag with new grips.  I did them all with the air compressor set to about 50psi.  The hardest part was prepping and removing the old grips and tape.  Once I got to putting the new grips on, it took about 15 seconds per grip.  Quick and easy.  I tried taking one off just to see how it worked; just as easy as putting them on.  

Now we’ll see how they hold up as far as slipping and twisting is concerned when I play on Thursday and Friday.

Awesome! And agree completely that the hardest part is removing the old tape. 

Right now I've got a two different grips I'm experimenting with prior to doing the full set. Neither have slipped or shifted (yet). Have probably hit around 200 balls with each. Will be interested to hear if you experience the same.

Out of curiosity, what grips did you go with? I'm trying the Tour Velvet Plus 4s (standard) and New Decade MCC Plus 4s (midsize). Kind of liking the latter. But the former is nice as well. Thinking I may order a well reviewed set from Amazon that's similar to the MCC to see how they compare.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9° - Fujikura Ventus Blue / Rombax
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° - Project X 6.0
Snake Eyes 600B 3-PW - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes 685BX Fluid Forged 52°, 56°, 60° - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes MSC1 / Golfsmith NCC - 1701
Maxfli Tour X

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, DoubleAce said:

Awesome! And agree completely that the hardest part is removing the old tape. 

Right now I've got a two different grips I'm experimenting with prior to doing the full set. Neither have slipped or shifted (yet). Have probably hit around 200 balls with each. Will be interested to hear if you experience the same.

Out of curiosity, what grips did you go with? I'm trying the Tour Velvet Plus 4s (standard) and New Decade MCC Plus 4s (midsize). Kind of liking the latter. But the former is nice as well. Thinking I may order a well reviewed set from Amazon that's similar to the MCC to see how they compare.

I went with the MCC Plus 4 Standard.  I have used these grips in the past and really liked them.  My last set were Tour Velvet and I didn’t care for the feel as much as I do the MCC, so I went back.  I had a gift card from my in-laws, so these grips were pretty much free.  Can’t go wrong there.

I’ll report back after I play a few rounds on how the grips hold up as far as moving on the shaft.

• Thumbs Up 1

Callway GBB Epic, TaylorMade R7 3W, Wilson D9 Forged, Vokey 54* and 58*, Bettinardi flat stick

4 hours ago, nvkevin said:

I went with the MCC Plus 4 Standard.  I have used these grips in the past and really liked them.  My last set were Tour Velvet and I didn’t care for the feel as much as I do the MCC, so I went back.  I had a gift card from my in-laws, so these grips were pretty much free.  Can’t go wrong there.

I’ll report back after I play a few rounds on how the grips hold up as far as moving on the shaft.

I do like the feel of the MCCs. Have previously been playing the Lamkin Crossline. Figured the Tour Velvet was similar, but hadn't really loved the Tour Velvet in the past. They must have updated the material/composition, as I do like them a lot more than I remember.

Maxfli Tour X

For anyone questioning the cost of PURE grips, y'all don't realize how long these things last, I've had sets of them last 6+ years easily.

Colin P.

20 hours ago, nvkevin said:

I just did my entire bag with new grips.  I did them all with the air compressor set to about 50psi.  The hardest part was prepping and removing the old grips and tape.  Once I got to putting the new grips on, it took about 15 seconds per grip.  Quick and easy.  I tried taking one off just to see how it worked; just as easy as putting them on.  

Now we’ll see how they hold up as far as slipping and twisting is concerned when I play on Thursday and Friday.

Thanks, I was thinking about using air compressor too but don’t have any only 12v tire compressor. I have read about grip twisted after awhile with air install. 
For others, I used vise clamp and grip holder, maybe if I install the grip inside garage might be easier. I watched a lot of you tube instructions before attempted myself.

which portable air compressor would you guy recommend? Accessory?

4 hours ago, hoonnirun said:

Thanks, I was thinking about using air compressor too but don’t have any only 12v tire compressor. I have read about grip twisted after awhile with air install. 
For others, I used vise clamp and grip holder, maybe if I install the grip inside garage might be easier. I watched a lot of you tube instructions before attempted myself.

which portable air compressor would you guy recommend? Accessory?

I've owned a couple different compressors. Current and favorite is a California Air Tools 8 gallon. They're a little pricey, but far from outrageous. And I'll likely never buy a different brand. It's crazy how quiet this thing is. As far as accessories, I've used both a standard needle inflator and tapered blow gun nozzle. Kind of depends on the grip, as the holes in the end of them vary in size. 

Lowe's Link

Maxfli Tour X

6 hours ago, colin007 said:

For anyone questioning the cost of PURE grips, y'all don't realize how long these things last, I've had sets of them last 6+ years easily.

Wow, that’s a long time.  I get a few years out of the GP Tour Wraps, and I thought that was a long time.

7 hours ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

Wow, that’s a long time.  I get a few years out of the GP Tour Wraps, and I thought that was a long time.

It's the rubber, I didn't realize it until I actually tried them. Whatever the other companies put in their grips, polymers or whatnot, that's what breaks down, but PURE uses all rubber (I think) so they don't wear out really. Phenomenal grips.

Colin P.

Report back on grip status after using compressed air instead of glue... 

I am happy to report that I played 2 complete rounds along with range sessions before the rounds and have experienced no slipping or twisting of the grips.  I will definitely be using this method from now on.  I especially like that I can play with thickness of the underwrap if needed and not have to ruin a grip to get a tailored fit.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Callway GBB Epic, TaylorMade R7 3W, Wilson D9 Forged, Vokey 54* and 58*, Bettinardi flat stick

Note: This thread is 752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!