IGNORED

Re-Gripping Issue

Note: This thread is 752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is the first time I attempted to install my own grips. The issue is the shop that I have them re-grip last time did not remove the old tape just add layer of tape after another. I felt some of my clubs feel more comfortable than others until I got new fairway wood, that I think the added up layer cause this.

First off, it is not easy at all, the thinner seems to dry too fast and make it hard to push the grip in. The tape “golf works” not wide enough and leave some gap at the end of shaft, make big clump inside of the grip(wasted one grip). I make sure to wet inside the grip and on the tape really well. I installed the grip outside with a little bit of wind and 65 temp.

My question is, I did 4 clubs so far and two grips are stretched a little about 1/2”. Will I see a big effect on those stretched ones? Should I re-grip? Any tips to make install new grips easier?

I might have to cut off old grip, remove old tape and have the shop install the grips. The shop charges about 2 dollars extra each grip with installation.

1 hour ago, hoonnirun said:

This is the first time I attempted to install my own grips. The issue is the shop that I have them re-grip last time did not remove the old tape just add layer of tape after another. I felt some of my clubs feel more comfortable than others until I got new fairway wood, that I think the added up layer cause this.

First off, it is not easy at all, the thinner seems to dry too fast and make it hard to push the grip in. The tape “golf works” not wide enough and leave some gap at the end of shaft, make big clump inside of the grip(wasted one grip). I make sure to wet inside the grip and on the tape really well. I installed the grip outside with a little bit of wind and 65 temp.

My question is, I did 4 clubs so far and two grips are stretched a little about 1/2”. Will I see a big effect on those stretched ones? Should I re-grip? Any tips to make install new grips easier?

I might have to cut off old grip, remove old tape and have the shop install the grips. The shop charges about 2 dollars extra each grip with installation.

I've been regripping my own clubs and other folks clubs since about 1992. It does take practice. I've always done it myself because I like to regrip a lot.

Okay, firstly, the stretched grips will be totally fine. Unless you don't like them in some way, there's no reason to remove them. I've known guys who actually like their grips "stretched" and put them on that way on purpose. Incidentally, I've also known guys who like their grips "bunched" and put them on that way on purpose as well. 

Next. Two tips when regripping at home. 

Tip 1: People are often surprised how much solvent you need to use to make the grip slide on easily. I recommend using it liberally. 

Tip 2: Put your club in a vise when you regrip. Get one of these to keep from damaging your club. 61NOY0WPKQL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.aaefd37959253af6e220575dc9361342.jpg

I can regrip without one. I can literally regrip a club while just holding it in my hand, but I've been doing it for 30 years and even then I have a rubberized glove I'll use to "grip" the club. Even saying that, I prefer to put it in a vise when regripping. 

Lastly, consider using Pure Golf Grips. They pop on and off with an air compressor. Personally, they are now the only grip I use. No tape, no solvent, just a grip and an air compressor. Pure-Grips-DTX-3.thumb.jpg.e4818468573524332cef6f2626db415d.jpg

As a matter of fact, normally I get costume fit for my clubs. I've gotten in the habit of ordering the club with grip shipped loose in the box. That way when the club arrives at my house I just pop on a pure grip with my air compressor and away I go. PXG does a great job with this. They send the grips loose in the box and you can resell the grips on ebay if you so choose. Mizuno and Cobra also have no problems sending the grips loose in the box. I've had them send me my clubs that way too. 

I hope this helps. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Don’t re-grip. As @ChetlovesMermentioned, a vise really helps but there are ways of  doing it with a vise. @Adam C has a video on that. A few tips:

1. I cut excess tape off the end and tuck the little that’s left in the shaft. You only need enough tape to cover the cut end of the shaft to smooth over the edge.
  2. Make sure that the solvent coats the inside of the grip completely before emptying it on the tape through the hole at the butt end.
  3. With some solvents like Golfworks, I rub the tape down with the solvent on. It seems to smooth the glue down and the grip slides on easier.
  4. Golfworks has a different solvent, Brampton HF-100, that I find is easier to slide the grip on with. I don’t need to rub the tape down first.
  5. I put a paint roller pan under the setup and catch the excess solvent. I then put it back into the container for reuse.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• iacas changed the title to Re-Gripping Issue
On 3/30/2022 at 5:02 AM, ChetlovesMer said:

I've been regripping my own clubs and other folks clubs since about 1992. It does take practice. I've always done it myself because I like to regrip a lot.

Okay, firstly, the stretched grips will be totally fine. Unless you don't like them in some way, there's no reason to remove them. I've known guys who actually like their grips "stretched" and put them on that way on purpose. Incidentally, I've also known guys who like their grips "bunched" and put them on that way on purpose as well. 

Next. Two tips when regripping at home. 

Tip 1: People are often surprised how much solvent you need to use to make the grip slide on easily. I recommend using it liberally. 

Tip 2: Put your club in a vise when you regrip. Get one of these to keep from damaging your club. 61NOY0WPKQL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.aaefd37959253af6e220575dc9361342.jpg

I can regrip without one. I can literally regrip a club while just holding it in my hand, but I've been doing it for 30 years and even then I have a rubberized glove I'll use to "grip" the club. Even saying that, I prefer to put it in a vise when regripping. 

Lastly, consider using Pure Golf Grips. They pop on and off with an air compressor. Personally, they are now the only grip I use. No tape, no solvent, just a grip and an air compressor. Pure-Grips-DTX-3.thumb.jpg.e4818468573524332cef6f2626db415d.jpg

As a matter of fact, normally I get costume fit for my clubs. I've gotten in the habit of ordering the club with grip shipped loose in the box. That way when the club arrives at my house I just pop on a pure grip with my air compressor and away I go. PXG does a great job with this. They send the grips loose in the box and you can resell the grips on ebay if you so choose. Mizuno and Cobra also have no problems sending the grips loose in the box. I've had them send me my clubs that way too. 

I hope this helps. 

I've regrouped a lot of clubs for myself and buddies over the years. I need to look up the Pure Grip. Thanks for talking about them.

• Thumbs Up 1

The course where I work uses masking tape and rubber cement to install grips. Works just as well as double sided tape and solvent, and its actually a lot less messy.  You just remove the old tape, tape it back up using masking tape and then brush on liberal amounts of rubber cement on the shaft and slide the grip on. They are dry and ready to use in 5-10 minutes. This method also makes it easier to blow off old grips instead of having to cut them off.

I've thought about trying Pure Grips, but they are too damn expensive, I mean $13 a grip is almost 3 times as much as I pay for my golf Pride Tour Wraps. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I've done several re-grip jobs over the years.  As mentioned above, it takes WAY more solvent in the grip than you would think to make sure that everything slides on as it should.  I usually fill the grip about half full of solvent and slosh it around before dumping it over the tape on the club.  I catch the excess solvent and reuse it for the rest of the grip job.  Seems to work pretty well for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Callway GBB Epic, TaylorMade R7 3W, Wilson D9 Forged, Vokey 54* and 58*, Bettinardi flat stick

18 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

I've thought about trying Pure Grips, but they are too damn expensive, I mean $13 a grip is almost 3 times as much as I pay for my golf Pride Tour Wraps. 

Wow, you are getting good deal then. Golf Pride Tour Wraps are $9 to $11 where I live. 

BTW - If you sign up for Pure's emails then send you 25% off offers all the time. 

Just now, ChetlovesMer said:

Wow, you are getting good deal then. Golf Pride Tour Wraps are $9 to $11 where I live. 

BTW - If you sign up for Pure's emails then send you 25% off offers all the time. 

They are only $6.99 on the Golf Pride website https://store.golfpride.com/store/grips/prod611075/tour-wrap-2g

but yes working at a golf course has its perks, I get them at cost which is about $4 a grip

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

All the comments about using more solvent than you'd think are spot on. I also noticed that letting the solvent soak inside the grip for just a bit longer makes a big difference. If they're not sliding on easily, try using some more solvent. Also, if you don't have one, the shaft clamp that goes into a vise is a great tool. Makes it so much easier when you're starting out. 

With all that being said, I recently had a to regrip an iron and wanted to experiment with a couple different grips. With the intent of then regripping the whole set. As I didn't want to waste the grips, I tried the compressed air method. I've used air in a similar application previously (installing/removing foam covers on AR buffer tubes). So I was fairly confident I could figure it out. 

Little bit of a learning curve, but man it's so easy once you get the gist of it. Can't see myself going back to grip tape and solvent. The key is to use the right amount of pressure (around 50psi or so), and to feather it on with bursts of air. Taking it back off is significantly easier. 

If you do try this route now or in the future, you'll likely still need to cut the old grips off if they were done with tape and solvent. Ideally you'll then want to remove all the old tape and adhesive. You can then blow the grip straight on to the shaft. Or, you can use something like blue painters tape to keep it comparable to the traditional method. Just skip the solvent and blow it on. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9° - Fujikura Ventus Blue / Rombax
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° - Project X 6.0
Snake Eyes 600B 3-PW - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes 685BX Fluid Forged 52°, 56°, 60° - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes MSC1 / Golfsmith NCC - 1701
Maxfli Tour X

10 minutes ago, DoubleAce said:

All the comments about using more solvent than you'd think are spot on. I also noticed that letting the solvent soak inside the grip for just a bit longer makes a big difference. If they're not sliding on easily, try using some more solvent. Also, if you don't have one, the shaft clamp that goes into a vise is a great tool. Makes it so much easier when you're starting out. 

With all that being said, I recently had a to regrip an iron and wanted to experiment with a couple different grips. With the intent of then regripping the whole set. As I didn't want to waste the grips, I tried the compressed air method. I've used air in a similar application previously (installing/removing foam covers on AR buffer tubes). So I was fairly confident I could figure it out. 

Little bit of a learning curve, but man it's so easy once you get the gist of it. Can't see myself going back to grip tape and solvent. The key is to use the right amount of pressure (around 50psi or so), and to feather it on with bursts of air. Taking it back off is significantly easier. 

If you do try this route now or in the future, you'll likely still need to cut the old grips off if they were done with tape and solvent. Ideally you'll then want to remove all the old tape and adhesive. You can then blow the grip straight on to the shaft. Or, you can use something like blue painters tape to keep it comparable to the traditional method. Just skip the solvent and blow it on. 

I've been wanting to try the air compressor method.  I use this method for my son's dirt bike grips and it works great.  I have a new set of grips showing up tomorrow; maybe I'll give it a shot and see how I like it.

Callway GBB Epic, TaylorMade R7 3W, Wilson D9 Forged, Vokey 54* and 58*, Bettinardi flat stick

7 minutes ago, nvkevin said:

I've been wanting to try the air compressor method.  I use this method for my son's dirt bike grips and it works great.  I have a new set of grips showing up tomorrow; maybe I'll give it a shot and see how I like it.

If you've done it before in that similar application, I'd imagine you'll figure it out with little issue. Will be interested to hear how you like it if you end up giving it a shot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maxfli Tour X

2 hours ago, DoubleAce said:

If you use the Pure grips, there's no learning curve. No need to feather the air. Just put the air in the end and slide it on. 

2 hours ago, DoubleAce said:

If you do try this route now or in the future, you'll likely still need to cut the old grips off if they were done with tape and solvent. 

You can take grips off that have been put on with tape and solvent by using one of these:

vggr.jpg.57c9ded6a0a5a636790f708f72663c4a.jpg

Then you can reuse the grip. Even if it was put on with tape and solvent. I do it all the time. 

4 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

If you use the Pure grips, there's no learning curve. No need to feather the air. Just put the air in the end and slide it on. 

Yup, super easy. I could never go back to tape/solvent grip change process.

3 hours ago, NM Golf said:

Pure grips have gotten significantly more expensive since I first bought a set (maybe 2 years ago?). I think I paid around $8 each. Not sure why the prices have gone up so much, but they are really nice grips IMO.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

37 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

You can take grips off that have been put on with tape and solvent by using one of these:

vggr.jpg.57c9ded6a0a5a636790f708f72663c4a.jpg

Then you can reuse the grip. Even if it was put on with tape and solvent. I do it all the time. 

Yeah, I know the Pure Grips are purpose built for that. But that does restrict you to their grips (and prices) as well as their attachment. And, FWIW, the learning curve to blow on a couple of different Golf Pride grips was less than 5 minutes. And now can do one in well under a minute. 

I have seen that other tool for removing them before, but was more speaking to that if he goes the air route, he may not be able to blow off the existing grips as easily.

Edited by DoubleAce

Maxfli Tour X

@hoonnirun I always remove the old tape and put new tape on.  I prefer two wraps of tape.  Other than that, I use the standard rubber vise clamp, a vise, two sided tape and standard solvent.  The first time, it took me a few grips to get used to it and how I like them.  Some grips are easier than other to put on, in my opinion (Golf Pride Tour Wraps are easy, Winn DryTac are a little trickier).

Maybe just start with two at a time, try different amounts of tape (e.g. 1 vs 2), after they dry decide which you like best.  You’ll figure it out and get really quick at it, just keep trying.  There are tons of videos on YouTube.

Nothing worse than paying a few $ per grip install and it not being how you like it.  My grandfather used to say… if you want something done your way, best to do it yourself.

1 hour ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

@hoonnirun I always remove the old tape and put new tape on.  I prefer two wraps of tape.  Other than that, I use the standard rubber vise clamp, a vise, two sided tape and standard solvent.  The first time, it took me a few grips to get used to it and how I like them.  Some grips are easier than other to put on, in my opinion (Golf Pride Tour Wraps are easy, Winn DryTac are a little trickier).

Maybe just start with two at a time, try different amounts of tape (e.g. 1 vs 2), after they dry decide which you like best.  You’ll figure it out and get really quick at it, just keep trying.  There are tons of videos on YouTube.

Nothing worse than paying a few $ per grip install and it not being how you like it.  My grandfather used to say… if you want something done your way, best to do it yourself.

Winn grips are garbage, hard to put on and you can't blow them off. In fact if you leave them on too long you have to scrape them off with a razor blade.

+1 on the do it yourself. No one, but me, has put on one of my grips in 20 years.

49 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

Winn grips are garbage, hard to put on and you can't blow them off. In fact if you leave them on too long you have to scrape them off with a razor blade.

+1 on the do it yourself. No one, but me, has put on one of my grips in 20 years.

I’m not a fan of Winn grips either, baring their pistol putter grips.  But the ladies in my family like them, so I deal with them when I have to.

On 3/31/2022 at 12:58 PM, DoubleAce said:

If you've done it before in that similar application, I'd imagine you'll figure it out with little issue. Will be interested to hear how you like it if you end up giving it a shot.

I just did my entire bag with new grips.  I did them all with the air compressor set to about 50psi.  The hardest part was prepping and removing the old grips and tape.  Once I got to putting the new grips on, it took about 15 seconds per grip.  Quick and easy.  I tried taking one off just to see how it worked; just as easy as putting them on.  

Now we’ll see how they hold up as far as slipping and twisting is concerned when I play on Thursday and Friday.

Note: This thread is 752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!