IGNORED

Do golfers really understand US handicaps?

AtlantaGolfer
Note: This thread is 6803 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I wonder how many golfers actually understand the purpose of US golf handicaps. Many seem to think that the handicap is to show their average score. This is incorrect.

A golfer's handicap is to show potential. It takes great odds to better one's handicap twice in their previous 20 scores. Not that it can't be done but the odds are against you. Obviously with a higher handicap it can happen more since there is more of a variance in scores and improvement is easier to do.

I keep reading on here and hearing members at my club talk about their handicaps as their average scores. I want to help people understand that handicaps are potential - not averages. That is why when people play each other using handicaps and one of them doesn't understand handicaps fully there is going to be hostility.

The USGA has all sorts of odds, based on index, as to how often you should beat your handicap index, etc. I encourage everyone to look it up and learn about them.

"Don't worry if you never seem to play to it on a given day. All golfers are in the same boat because USGA Handicap Indexes are based on a player's potential ability rather than the average of his scores."

USGA How Well Should You Play

USGA Handicap Links

In the bag:
Titleist 983K
Titleist 904F 15*
Titleist 904F 19*
Titleist 990 3-PW Titleist Vokey 256-12 56*Cleveland Gunite 60*Odyssey 990 putterTitelist Pro-V1*

I...Obviously with a higher handicap it can happen more since there is more of a variance in scores and improvement is easier to do....

IMHO this statement is true - and it is THE reason for hostility, not misunderstanding the idea behind the handicap index. There is no discussion, that a player with index of 3 is more likely NOT to play 2 strokes below his index, where player at 22 has a great chance of doing so. It happens way too often to say that it's a fair system. It's good, but it's not perfect. I found only one perfect solution to this problem - I'm avoiding handicapped events

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I found only one perfect solution to this problem - I'm avoiding handicapped events

Or at least make sure there are both net and gross prizes. I won't usually go near a tourney unless there is something given away for low gross.

I understand where you're coming from Rafcin...entirely.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

...I understand where you're coming from Rafcin...entirely.

Really? with a +1.8 that's a surprise. Wonder how many times did you get your butt whipped by a 20hcp

Top of the tops was my last Member-Guest tournament. Our Head Pro (probably tired of me bitchin' about it) set up flighted matches - so all the 2-man teams were within 10 strokes - I can handle that. We won our flight by beating all 3 other teams. Then there was it... Sudden Death alternate shot playoff for the "overall" champions. It started on our hole#1 - 335yds, slight downhill, straight ahead. Guess what - we're giving 2 strokes to 3 out of 8 teams and 1 stroke to other 3 teams !!!! Great. O/B both sides, but have to drive the green to have a shot... gust of wind (or careful swing) - I came up 10 yds short. Partners chips on - ball checks up about 10 ft short... I lip the putt and we're in for a birdie. Of course one of the "handicapped" teams managed to get on in two and two-putt for net eagle. Game over. It happens one says... Yeah,buddy? The member in the member-guest team who won the day after shot 84 from the tips at the same course. Do I need to add he is 26 hcp? Here is what I think about it: It happens one says... Yeah, buddy? President's Cup at my course was won with net score of 56 (different member). Yeah buddy, it happens.

• Administrator
I subbed for our 5 guy (highest handicap) in league one day. I shot 38 (one stroke under my handicap at the time for nine holes). I was lucky to get one of the four points. The 26-handicapper shot 43 (+7).

Heck, I only shot 38 because I double bogeyed one hole trying to make an eagle or something because I had to give the guy two shots. He was playing with 13, me with 3, so I gave him 10 shots.

Higher handicappers have a definite advantage, yes. Especially in matches where they have scoring per-hole (like skins or whatever) because most high-handicappers seem to get most of their strokes on a few holes - a bunch of 9s mixed in with pars and whatnot.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Higher handicappers have a definite advantage, yes. Especially in matches where they have scoring per-hole (like skins or whatever) because most high-handicappers seem to get most of their strokes on a few holes - a bunch of 9s mixed in with pars and whatnot.

Agree. Especially on courses with weak design (like my home track) where there are 4, maybe 5 really tough holes and everything else is 3W - SW w/o trouble.... They've an edge on 14 holes, because the strokes (handicap) consistently fed with high scores on these 4 holes do apply on other holes as well - if you give 10 strokes it falls on 10 toughest... too bad 6 if them aren't really tough

This has gone from how people understand the handicap system as it is today to complaining about member-guest tournaments and net events. Every course has someone that lies when they turn in scores to boost their handicap up - thus no one wants to play them with those strokes. We have a member who does that - he never plays anyone at our club but when the net events come around he always wins. What joy can someone get from cheating? Let him cheat he has to live with it. Handicaps are dependent on people being honest when turning in their scores and using Equity Stroke Control.

My average score is 80 (current par is 73 - we are undergoing renovations of 9 holes out of our 27). My index is 3.5. Using some golfers thinking (using avg score) my "handicap" would be 7. That is flawed thinking and I would be getting 3.5 extra shots that I would not need.

Our member guest groups 6, 2 man teams that play 5 nine hole matches at 80% of our handicaps. The groups are based on what the combined handicaps are at 80%. Just put them in order and cut them off every 6.

We always talk about how the higher handicap is more likely to better his handicap but he is also more likely to shoot much much higher too. A lower handicap player will have a lower variance of scores. Example: a 3 handicap probably shoots anywhere from 77-85 with the odd score a little higher or lower whereas a 20 will have scores between 95-120 with some lower.

Remember that the handicap is calculated based on the last 20 scores, taking the lowest 10 of those. So if the high handicap is playing better this month, next month his handicap will drop.

In the bag:
Titleist 983K
Titleist 904F 15*
Titleist 904F 19*
Titleist 990 3-PW Titleist Vokey 256-12 56*Cleveland Gunite 60*Odyssey 990 putterTitelist Pro-V1*

This is a whole different topic but remember that the highest handicap hole is not necessarily the hardest hole on the course. It is the course with the highest vairance in scores.

Ex: When they did our hole handicaps we took everyones scorecards for a few months and looked at what the scores were on all holes. Our 8th (a par 5) had the highest difference in scores on average. It is not the most difficult by far though. Since it is on the front side it was given handicap 1, number 2 went to the biggest variance on the back, and 3 went to the next one on the front.

In the bag:
Titleist 983K
Titleist 904F 15*
Titleist 904F 19*

Interesting. Makes a good deal of sense and I suppose I've wondered about that one. Seems like once or twice each season I'll play a course where the handicapping of the holes just doesn't seem to fit all the way around. A hole that seems to "take my milk money" might be the 12th or 13th handicap hole for the course. The rascal just doesn't like my game, I guess.

Rick

Note: This thread is 6803 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!