IGNORED

Hooking Driver only

Note: This thread is 5845 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

OK. I have a Cleveland Comp 9.5 with Grafalloy Comp NT Stiff shaft. I have just begun hitting it horribly. Awful hooks. Sometimes I can straighten the hooks out a bit and make it look like a "power draw". I was hitting this club very well, 300+ yards then all of a sudden the hooks appeared. I have tried everything. Some of my friends say I am too stiff at the tee but I have tried to loosen up and everything else.

I hit my irons very well, no hooks at all, mostly fades if not straight. My irons are Mizuno MP33 blades Stiff shafts. I hit my 3 iron very well, straight and consistent 230+ yards.

This driver situation is driving me crazy. I think it may be defective somehow. Maybe I loosened the shaft from head or something else. I know that the ferrule came loose but I think that is only cosmetic.

I think that I may need to switch to X stiff shaft because my swingspeed is high.

Please offer some suggestions. I am confused with this. Luckily I still hook/draw this thing 260-275 if the hook isnt so severe. When that ball hits the ground it has super spin right to left.

Thanks for any help!

-Ryan

OK. I have a Cleveland Comp 9.5 with Grafalloy Comp NT Stiff shaft. I have just begun hitting it horribly. Awful hooks. Sometimes I can straighten the hooks out a bit and make it look like a "power draw". I was hitting this club very well, 300+ yards then all of a sudden the hooks appeared. I have tried everything. Some of my friends say I am too stiff at the tee but I have tried to loosen up and everything else.

i would not blame the club.

try 3 things: 1. weaken your grip. 2. swing the driver down the line and try to delay release for a split second. 3. Look at your posture in a mirror. Make sure you you bent over slightly at the hips with the ball on your left heel.

36 HC....300 yd drives....damn your short game must suck like mine....LOL

Honestly, I have never tried to calculate my handicap. I dont know why.

But...when I am inside 20-130yds I am clueless. I end up chunking a lot because I slow my downswing with the wedge most of the time trying to control the distance. Yea I am confused. I have been working on the range with just that distance and getting some improvement. My putting is just starting to be decent since I started putting my elbows against my body and just using shoulders. So yea, my short game never cooperates :)

My friend has been doing the same thing--driver only....Try swinging the club and not flippinf your wrists at impact....swing along the line and flip your wrists over later you may be flipping or releasing the club way too sooon..Cheers

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

well i am a similiar situation as u

i was over drawing my driver, and i hit someone else's at the range with a grip one size bigger and it helped me from over rotating, so i went up to a mid sized wynn grip on my driver and it helped me from over rotating

if u are a slicer, i don't recommend it because u won't be able to turn ur wrist over though

it will work for some and not for others, and i don't know if its a long term change, but I am sure enjoying it right now

DRIVER - 907D2 9.5
3 WOOD - FIRESOLE
IRONS - TA3
WEDGES - 52,56 60
PUTTER - WHITE HOT

oooohhhh i agree with KEKOA, I traditionally have a very strong grip, but with my driver i had to weaken it some too

DRIVER - 907D2 9.5
3 WOOD - FIRESOLE
IRONS - TA3
WEDGES - 52,56 60
PUTTER - WHITE HOT

HAHA, a 36 hcp hitting 300 yard drives.. BS!!
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

OK. I I was hitting this club very well, 300+ yards then all of a sudden the hooks appeared.

Forget about your driver. Keep hitting your 3 iron 230+, consistent and srtaight. That's as far as most pros hit it - and not always straight or consistent. You'll be outdriving 95% of golfers anyway.

In other words, don't expect any solutions to your problem until you can be honest with yourself about how far (or straight or consistent) you are. Let me tell you - any person who claims to have such prowess with a 3 iron but then says they have "no clue" inside 130 yards is full of you know what. Why waste people's time with such outlandish and ridiculous claims?

I don't understand why people have such a hard time believing that a high HC can hit a long ways. HC has nothing to do with distance. I can smack it a long way off the tee, then chunk a few iron shots, skull some chips over the green and then 3 putt, take a 10 on the hole and be a high HC'er that hit's a long way.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

I don't understand why people have such a hard time believing that a high HC can hit a long ways. HC has nothing to do with distance. I can smack it a long way off the tee, then chunk a few iron shots, skull some chips over the green and then 3 putt, take a 10 on the hole and be a high HC'er that hit's a long way.

Of course a high handicapper can hit the ball a long way sometimes, but it's the magical "300 yards" that is such a a joke. Imagine the idea of someone who doesn't know what a handicap is, but thinks theirs would be 36 - meaning they'd rarely break 110 - playing in a pro am and belting it past the pros. Or - hitting a 3 iron "consistently" straight and 230. It's ridiculous. And....anyone who thinks that it is not has obviously never seen a solid drive that goes 250, because it's a hell of a lot further than they might think. And I'm not talking about a driving range where the ball might run crazy distances with inaccurate markers.

• 3 weeks later...

Same thing as me last year, I asked my coach and he made a couple of adjustents on my swing.

here they are:

1. Have a perfect grip
2. close the face of your club at alignement
3. when the club is parrallel to the ground, ( upswing) it must be parallel with your feet, and your left forearm must be parralle with your feet, too.
4. Be sure your HEAD doesn't move, at any time. It helps have a perfect tempo.
5. Try having a larger stance.

Hope it'll help you!

Djou

In my stand bag:

Driver: R7 460 Stiff
3-Wood: sumo
5-Wood: sumoIrons: R7 4-AWSW: rac LW: racPutter: Rossa Monsa CGB Fontana-7Balls: Pro V-1, NEW nike ONE

Note: This thread is 5845 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!