IGNORED

What Starts your DOWNSWING

Note: This thread is 5872 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I push off my right foot to get my right hip over my left toe technically. But all I really think about is getting to my finish.

Equipment, Setup, Finish, Balance, and Relax. All equal in importance and all dependent on each other. They are the cornerstones of a good golf swing.

A twist of your left hip should start your downswing.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

A twist of your left hip should start your downswing.

By feeling that someone is pulling my back by my right beltloop, I am certain not to slide then turn.. (left beltloop for you righties)

Ah, you play left-handed! Your theory now makes perfect sense and follows my (Ben Hogan's) ideas. I'm with you then. That little twist automatically drops your hands into the right "spot" making it so that you don't rely on pulling the hands down to start the downswing.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Ah, you play left-handed! Your theory now makes perfect sense and follows my (Ben Hogan's) ideas. I'm with you then. That little twist automatically drops your hands into the right "spot" making it so that you don't rely on pulling the hands down to start the downswing.

lol. I tried to respond as quick as I could eariler. All I could imangine was you standing in front of your computer wandering, "How in the world is this clown swinging thru the ball like this.... :)

I push off my right foot to get my right hip over my left toe technically.

I practice this every day without a ball and it appears to be the ideal move because it prevents the right hip from rotating out in front. Right hip rotation is bad, it can cause me to make an over the top move.

But on the course I find your move to be unintuitive. It is much easier to just initiate by turning my hips like everybody else.

I practice this every day without a ball and it appears to be the ideal move because it prevents the right hip from rotating out in front. Right hip rotation is bad, it can cause me to make an over the top move.

I'm not sure what you mean when you write that the right hip rotating is bad? Could you elaborate please because I do turn my hips so that by the time I'm posing at the finish, they're facing the target. They never get in the way because my left hip rotates CCW and up.

For the move downwards, I'm working on simultaneously pushing my right hip forward towards my left toes in a rotating motion while pivoting my shoulders forward as well.

ok- you lost us all at "I practice".........

What works to start the downswing can vary depending how you setup and the positions you get into in the backswing.
If you play the ball way forward in your stance you may benefit from making a lateral movement (like a hip bump or slide) toward the target to start down (which will help move your point of contact with the ground farther forward). While those you don't have the ball foward might do better to avoid the lateral move and make a rotational move (like hip rotation) to start down. Players who tend to move their lower body (ex: legs) to much or too fast on the downswing may benefit from focusing on lifting (or seperating) the front shoulder from the chin starting down, or dropping the trailing arm (or elbow) to the back hip. Someone who swings into a high position at the top of the swing needs something to stall the body to give the arms time to drop down (so they don't get stuck behind the body), or a downswing trigger that gets the arms to drop faster starting down.
That is one of the reasons you will read, see, or hear one pro saying that he/she starts the downswing one way, and then a second pro saying that he/she starts down in a different way.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

What works to start the downswing can vary depending how you setup and the positions you get into in the backswing.

I have heard this term alot, "Let the arms drop" before you inicate the hips on the downswing. How does one achieve this. I really do not ever think about what I am doing, and I am sure that I am delivering the club on a proper path, but what is a good drill for letting the arms fall. I want to really experience this feeling once and for all....

If you watch Ringer's video on the hips you will see that he just pushes off his right foot which bumps the hips to the left, eventually forcing the left hip to rotate back.

The right hip just shifts toward the left toe it does not rotate at all. The left hip automatically rotates due to anatomy - you do not have to consciously rotate your left hip with Ringer's method.

I have heard this term alot, "Let the arms drop" before you inicate the hips on the downswing. How does one achieve this. I really do not ever think about what I am doing, and I am sure that I am delivering the club on a proper path, but what is a good drill for letting the arms fall. I want to really experience this feeling once and for all....

In order to have the arms drop down in a good direction it is important for the rear shoulder to stay back as the downswing starts. One way to do that is to think about keeping your back to the target as you start down. There are a number of different ways to get your back arm to drop starting down. One way is to raise the front (target side) shoulder (as the shoulder raises the other elbow of the other arm (and the upper arm) will get pulled down into the side. Like previously mentioned you can drop your arms by feeling you drop your elbow down to your hip to start down. You could also feel like you straighten your back arm starting down. (Creating space between the back shoulder and back hand. Some people think that is casting, but as long as your back wrist keeps its hinge you are not casting, and as long as the club is dropping back behind you and shallowing out, and the wrist will keep its hinge). Finally you could think about having the grip (or club shaft) drop down starting down.

The best way to find what works best for you is to try each, and/or look at your reflection (from downline) to see which looks like it is making the downward movement you see from the pros in pictures and video. http://www.golftoday.co.uk/proshop/f..._reaction.html http://www.golftoday.co.uk/proshop/f..._sequence.html

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

I start from the ground up- first weight transfer through my feet, then hips, then I drop my shoulders.

What do you mean by "dropping your shoulders"......

After my hip bump and hip turn, I drop my shoulders also. Keep in mind that at this point in the downswing, my spine and posture remain tilted and my shoulders have now been pulled to about 30 to 45 degrees from the address position, where they were 90 degrees from address from the top. So from here I actively drop my right shoulder downwards even more while simultaneously and actively lifting up my left, leading shoulder. I guess I sort of allow my shoulders to pivot about my spine axis. This in turn, allows my right side and right elbow (which is close to my right hip) to kind of squirt through the hitting area and my passive arms and wrists release through the ball with acceleration.

My burning desire to destroy the golf ball is what starts my downswing..lol. No actually I exhale from my mouth to start my downswing. Works for me.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Note: This thread is 5872 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!