IGNORED

Shaft Replacement Help

Panic89

Just had the shaft of my 9 iron replaced. Parallel tip. The problem is the “tip section” of the shaft is longer than the tip section on the other irons in the set. 

For example- the tip section on the 9 iron is roughly 3 inches longer than the tip section on the other irons.

After some research I’m thinking the guy at the golf shop did not trim the tip but merely trimmed the butt end of the club.

Is this a problem? Will the shaft have too much flex since it has a longer tip section? What should I do here? 

On 5/13/2022 at 1:02 PM, Panic89 said:

Is this a problem? Will the shaft have too much flex since it has a longer tip section? What should I do here?

Yes, it is a problem, and yes it will have too much flex and the timing of your swing will be off.
The softer flex also will cause the ball to launch higher, could have a tendency for the face to be open
at impact.
And yes, the shaft should have been "Stepped" properly "Tip Trimmed" using the manufactures recommendations.
I would speak to the installer and explain your concerns, he should replace the shaft and install it properly.

I suggest you take your 8 and P wedge with you and lay them alongside the 9 to show the difference to him.

Post the specs of your clubs and also a photo of the 3 clubs laying side by side.
There are several members on this forum who can explain the procedure also.

@boogielicious and @Adam C can offer their advice.

• Thumbs Up 2

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would make them reshaft the 9 iron and check the rest. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 5/13/2022 at 1:02 PM, Panic89 said:

Parallel tip

Also, I question using a "Parallel Tip" unless the iron is a custom-built set.
If the clubs are not custom, he would have to drill/bore the iron hosel for the shaft to fit properly.

Is the new shaft the same specs as your other clubs?

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Thanks for the replies. I took it back to the shop and they agreed they did not trim the tips as they should have. They attempted to reshaft it using a new shaft. Unfortunately, this time they actually trimmed too much off the tip. The tip section on the 9iron is now shorter than my pitching wedge. Looks like the trimmed about 1.5 inches too much.

Sucks b/c you would think a golf shop would be able to do the job properly....

Wow, that is some shoddy work. Measure twice, cut once. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping: