IGNORED

Walking or riding

myk
Note: This thread is 5858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I love to walk when I can, but I have to say I hate always having a cart fly up behind me out of nowhere. My pace is pretty fast, but I can't beat a single guy behind me flying in a golf cart. I of course let 'em through, but I can't help to feel rushed or that I'm holding up the pace.
IN MY BAG

Irons Big Bertha Fusion Irons 3-PW, SW, LW (Nippon 990 UNFX)
Driver Big Bertha Fusion FT-3 (Aldila NVS 55-R 350)
3 Wood ERC Fusion 3w - RGS (RCH Sys 55R)4/5 Wood Big Bertha Fusion 15D Fairway Wood (Aldila NVS 55-R 350)Bag 10.5" orange fusion tour bagPutter Scotty Cameron Newport...

• Administrator
I wish they would make more newer courses more walkable.

Unfortunately, sometimes the choice is between carts only or no golf course.

What annoys me most are golf courses that are perfectly walkable yet have a stupid carts-only policy.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My choices are this - play 18 and ride or if you feel the need to walk you can get in nine holes if you start before 8 am - i will take 18 over 9 anyday.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Today I walked 18 holes (Shot 83), Tuesday I walked the front 9 and rode the back 9 (shot 79), the time before that I rode all 18 (shot 83).... just depends on what I feel like. Those who say they can't score as well riding just haven't really given it any effort. I used to think the same, but I've found that it's really more a case of adjusting your thinking. You say that you get more time to think about the shot when walking... how much time do you really need??? On 90% of the courses I play, I'm waiting for the group ahead anyway, so that gives me plenty of time to think about the shot... often a lot more time than I need or want. Usually, by the time I've driven to the ball, I've had all the thinking time I need... I just look at the lie, check the distance, and I'm ready to go.

How much more is there, really?

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I walk whenever I can. I play high school golf and we always have to walk. I always feel I can enjoy the scenery better and keep my composure while having the ability to start preparing for my next shot without having to wait for other people.

I wouldn't play if I had to walk. I am a carpenter and am on my feet for 10 hours a day with a tool belt strapped to me. I go golfing to relax and enjoy it, I don't enjoy walking. :)

Brew

I wouldn't play if I had to walk. I am a carpenter and am on my feet for 10 hours a day with a tool belt strapped to me. I go golfing to relax and enjoy it, I don't enjoy walking. :)

And after all, that's really what it's all about, isn't it?

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

To each his own I guess. I work on the production floor of a factory and am on my feet 12 hours a day running back and forth from the top of the line all the way to the back. Probably 300 yds. from end to end.

I wouldnt have it any other way. Walking is a joy for me, I think you miss so much of the course when you ride in a cart.
In My Bridgestone Stand Bag:

Driver: TM r7 425 TP (8.5*) Stiff
Wood: TM Ti 5 Wood (18*) Stiff
Irons: TM r7 TP Irons (3-PW) RegularGW LW: TM rac Satin TPs ( 52* 56* 60*)Putter: TM Rossa Monza Spider Balls: Bridgestone B330s

myk-

Like you, I have a high handicap (hooray for the thirty-something crowd). I play best and enjoy the game more when I am walking with my speed cart. I actually really enjoy playing alone. Peace is good, and I don't feel pressure from other players in the group to hit a longer drive or get up and down, etc. On top of that, when I'm alone, my game flows better because I don't have to wait for someone else to play before I do. This helps my game.

In my C-130 bag:

Driver: G10 10.5*
3 Wood: Burner
Irons: G10 steel AWT shafts, silver dot, +1" (3-SW)Wedge: cg12 58*Putters: Squareback 2, California Coronado Low score (18 holes): 90Low score (9 holes): 42

To each his own I guess. I work on the production floor of a factory and am on my feet 12 hours a day running back and forth from the top of the line all the way to the back. Probably 300 yds. from end to end.

You are 18 yrs old... so you probably have a little more energy and stamina (at least on the golf course) than some of these guys. Wait another 10-15 years, you'll see. I can see why some guys don't want to walk, they work all day, deal with the wife and kids, do yard work and other work around the house all week... golf is their only down time. Basicaly they have to decide between a Sautrday afternoon nap or tee time.

But yeah, I love to walk... I am usually at a desk more hours of a day than I like.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I just played a new course in Beaufort NC that has a cart only rule. I thought it was a shame. I would like to walk a round or two there. Well, now that I think about it, it was a pretty big course spread out on something like 650 acres. Maybe walking that course might not be good idea.

Now I was just thinking, What do you think is too long of course to walk? The one I played today is 7200 yrds from the tips(I played from the white tees-6350yrds). Plus eventually there will be 1500 or so homes spread out around the course. It's a big place, at least to me.

Mike

• Administrator
Now I was just thinking, What do you think is too long of course to walk? The one I played today is 7200 yrds from the tips(I played from the white tees-6350yrds). Plus eventually there will be 1500 or so homes spread out around the course. It's a big place, at least to me.

It's usually the unmeasured yardage that counts: the walks from greens to tees. Not the course yardage, which can't even vary by a mile (1760 yards) from the short courses to the long ones (excluding executive courses).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If I'm playing alone, and the course is busy, I'll try to walk. Might as well take your time anyway, right?

Plus, I just enjoy walking. I try not to be a fat lazy guy, but it happens. Especially last year when I had foot surgery. Heel spur (inch wide), and Plantar Fasciitis, ouch.

I'm getting back into the game this year, played my first full round just the other day. I rode. My foot isn't quite ready to walk 18. Heck, my foot was sore after riding & playing 18. I couldn't imagine what walking 18 would be like right now. By the end of the year, I will hopefully be walking and using my 3-wheel cart trolly--niiiice.

The Indiana University par 3 course actually offers carts now for the course! I think I can handle walking that one though! Nice iron practice if you're wondering

Note: This thread is 5858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!