IGNORED

One Plane/Two Plane?

shakespeare
Note: This thread is 6555 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I am reading an old article from May 2005 in Golf Digest (or maybe Golf Magazine - whatever), and I find a lengthy article covering the 1 plane/2 plane. Excellent article. Great pictures. Wonderful explanations. Except, I don't understand a darn thing. I don't get it. Maybe that is why I have never been better than a 7 handicap after 25 years of playing. Anyone got any brilliant ideas?
R7 Quad 9.5*
Cleveland Launcher 13*
Cleveland Launcher 15*
Ben Hogan C455 21*
MP-33 PW-4 iron MP Series 56* & 60*Corza MonzaProV1

• Administrator
So I am reading an old article from May 2005 in Golf Digest (or maybe Golf Magazine - whatever), and I find a lengthy article covering the 1 plane/2 plane. Excellent article. Great pictures. Wonderful explanations. Except, I don't understand a darn thing. I don't get it. Maybe that is why I have never been better than a 7 handicap after 25 years of playing. Anyone got any brilliant ideas?

Brilliant ideas about what? They're kinda in that article... I think they did a credible job of explaining it...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...
Instead of trying to describe some technical mumbo jumbo about the two swings just think Colin Montgomerie for the 2 plane swing and Ernie Els for the 1 plane swing. Colin Montgomerie reroutes the club on the way down and Ernie Els swings back and through on the same plane.

• 6 months later...
Instead of trying to describe some technical mumbo jumbo about the two swings just think Colin Montgomerie for the 2 plane swing and Ernie Els for the 1 plane swing. Colin Montgomerie reroutes the club on the way down and Ernie Els swings back and through on the same plane.

I've noticed people mentioning Ernie as a one-plane swinger. I don't know about that. Look how steep he is in this video. He's far from being as flat and on-the-shoulder-plane as Hogan at the top. Compare to the Hogan video. You can clearly see Ernie's right shoulder peeking out if you pause the video. I think the more accurate description would be Hogan one-plane, Watson two-plane. http://www.golfswing.com/proswings/els.htm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT88...0hogan%20swing

In the bag:

Orlimar HipSteel 8.5 Driver
Orlimar Tri Metal 3 Wood 15*
Titliest 775 CB Irons Ping Anser 2

I've noticed people mentioning Ernie as a one-plane swinger. I don't know about that. Look how steep he is in this video. He's far from being as flat and on-the-shoulder-plane as Hogan at the top. Compare to the Hogan video. You can clearly see Ernie's right shoulder peeking out if you pause the video.

Though fairly upright as far as swings go, Ernie appears to me to be a one plane swinger. Flat or upright must also take into account a golfer's stature and Ernie is tall. Naturally that makes his one-plane swing more upright in appearance, but still one-plane in nature.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Other than having your swing video taped (I know, I will get around to it, I guess I am afraid it will look so bad I will have to quit due to the embarassment) is there any way to identify which theory your swing is closest to?

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Though fairly upright as far as swings go, Ernie appears to me to be a one plane swinger. Flat or upright must also take into account a golfer's stature and Ernie is tall. Naturally that makes his one-plane swing more upright in appearance, but still one-plane in nature.

I still wonder. If pause him right at the top you can see a steeper angle in the left arm than the shoulder angle. Here is a video of me for comparison. Now, to be certain, I'm not comparing my swing to Ernie's but I do have a pronounced 2-plane swing and I'm a bit too steep right now but not that far off Ernie. (I know, my left arm broke down at the top a bit)

Note: my video is poor quality because it was taken on my phone and Ernie's is a little difficult to stop right when he gets to parallel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfiP3-CAN1M http://www.golfswing.com/proswings/els.htm

In the bag:

Orlimar HipSteel 8.5 Driver
Orlimar Tri Metal 3 Wood 15*
Titliest 775 CB Irons Ping Anser 2

Note: This thread is 6555 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!