IGNORED

How to accurately measure distance that clubs go?

ctmurrray
Note: This thread is 5880 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am a scientist and I would like to know exactly my average distance with each club, and the standard deviation (ideally a histogram of many shots with each club). I find driving ranges imprecise since there is rarely a target at each club length and thus I cannot get an accurate measure. On course measurements are subject to variables like wind and up or down hill fairways. Also you would take many rounds to accumulate enough data. I wonder if the electronic shot monitors in golf stores or golf training sites are accurate enough to get this data?

This would really allow me to evaluate the effect of new clubs, longer clubs, golf lessons.

Driver: 400 SZ
Irons: Maltby custom fit KE4's
Sandwedge: Maltby Slider
Others: random selection

I am a scientist and I would like to know exactly my average distance with each club, and the standard deviation (ideally a histogram of many shots with each club). I find driving ranges imprecise since there is rarely a target at each club length and thus I cannot get an accurate measure. On course measurements are subject to variables like wind and up or down hill fairways. Also you would take many rounds to accumulate enough data. I wonder if the electronic shot monitors in golf stores or golf training sites are accurate enough to get this data?

I'll make a confession - I'm a Myers-Briggs Analytical/Analytical, have a degree in Industrial Design and work as business process analyst.

Yuck. I play my worst when I try to make a science of this game.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I don't know how exact you would be able to get as everyone hits different lengths, unless your looking just for your average. then that's just a matter of your imagination at that point. example- you could use your 5 iron for a 150 - 60 yard shot depending on how you swung the club. some times my buddies and I get together for a round and use only a 2 iron or whatever club you choose and play the entire round with it putting and all. and that will give you a good idea of what you are and aren't capable of with a certain club, as well as how much money you will loose on a certain club if you let your ego in the way. hope this helps a little, as far as the swing monitor in say the Golf Galaxies or maybe indoor golf somewhere might do the trick for you as well good luck to you.

whats in my bag,

Driver- 975D 7.5*
3 wood- 975F 13*
Irons- 2-pw Acushnet Tungsten AC-108'swedges-58* 64*putter-bag- staff I know its huge, but I dig it " I am McLovin"

I did see a similar thread after I posted. Some people have access to really nice driving ranges with good balls and many targets. I don't play thinking I can get extra distance on purpose, I can't swing harder really. I just try to swing the same each time and distance variation is due to quality of the hit. So I would like to know what is the deviation of the standard swing. I saw some people think (or can) get a range of 30 yds on each of their clubs. I don't have that skill level, I just hope I have some small amount of overlap from club to club and no big gaps.

I'll make a confession - I'm a Myers-Briggs Analytical/Analytical, have a degree in Industrial Design and work as business process analyst.

I was reading that many golfers underclub, or are short on approach shots. Also at the Pebble Beach tournament they had a story where they interviewed everyone that played one regular play day (not the tournament) about their drive lengths. Nearly everyone over estimated their drives by a good margin (I don't recall exactly but something like 20 or 30 yds). So it is probably human nature (ego?) leading us to believe our average shot is longer than it really is. Or our maximum length is our average length. So if I knew my ranges for each club I would underclub less often and beat my opponents. I do recognize that many courses are penal if you go over the green so there is some effect.

Id suggest you use a golf simulator to measure your distance, carry, angle and so on. I go to one regularly during the winter, and it's really great how you get accurate information on your shots.

I live on a farm and have a Sonocaddie GPS.

I take a shag bag of balls, aim at a ground hog hole (or something) and fire away. Then mark my spot and walk out and get in the center of the balls. The GPS gives me the distance.

I also us the markers at the range and write down what I am hitting them.

Stopped at Staples and picked up a bag of the self laminating ID badges, print my chart and slip it in. I also have the Scorecard instruction sheet on the other side so I can remember how to track my shots.

I know, my 5 wood has a typo on the distance.

Out on the course I can use a sharpie and write in new numbers if I am off. When I get back home I can edit and reprint the sheet. The sharpie will wipe off the plastic with alcohol.

Kelly

www.finescale360.com

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm an engineer by training too, and I play the best when I ignore my engineering instincts. I figure out the distance, I estimate the wind, I examine the lie, and I pick the club that will most likely move the ball the distance I desire. I know the expected distance for each club from a flat lie and no wind.

In short, I agree. The less science to your game, the better. If your brain is on numbers, you aren't going to be able to focus on the shot. The science happens before the pre-shot routine starts. Of course, I consider the pre-shot routine to start right after club selection.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm an engineer by training too, and I play the best when I ignore my engineering instincts. I figure out the distance, I estimate the wind, I examine the lie, and I pick the club that will most likely move the ball the distance I desire. I know the expected distance for each club from a flat lie and no wind.

It seems golf is the engineers escape from the harsh reality of numbers and science. I have a range finder which I use on the course and a rough estimate of my distances, but would like to know the numbers. I really think I would play better.

I'm an engineer and very analytical by nature. I always practice to a known yardage/distance, and feel more comfortable with that information on the course.

But I don't see how you can generate 'useful' information in practice, even with good range balls and targets all over the place (or an accurate ball monitor). It might tell you your distances on good hits, but as far as shot dispersion is concerened it would only tell you what you achieve in practice. Unless you are an exception to the norm, this is only loosely related to what you achieve on the course.

You might be better off just tracking clubs/distances/results on the course over time and using that as your base data.

dave

In The Bag:
- Wishon 949MC 10.5* Driver
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W
- Wishon 60* Cx Micro LW- Wishon 550M SW (55*)- Wishon 550M GW bent to 50* - Wishon 550C 6i - 9i (9i bent to 45*)- Wishon 321Li 3i/4i/5i hybrids- Odyssey Two Ball Putter

I'm an engineer and very analytical by nature. I always practice to a known yardage/distance, and feel more comfortable with that information on the course.

I have done so over the years, but I think the "average" is going down. It would be nice to reset my understanding with data more quickly than playing. Some people have access to a range where you can walk down and pick up your balls (these have distances marked on the ground). And I might try launch monitors.

Note: This thread is 5880 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!