IGNORED

Review: Yes! Abbie Forged (Compared to Scotty)

Note: This thread is 5867 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yes! Abbie Forged vs Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5

I’ve been playing a Scotty Cameron 1.5 for about a year and a half. Before that I was playing a Heavy Putter. From time to time, I longed for a little heavier putter so I gave the Yes! Abbie a try. Golf equipment reviews are all relative. All too often you hear a club is “good”, but the question is compared to what, and why.

Aesthetics:
Both are amazing looking putters. The Yes! has a very muted sand-blasted chrome finish on top, and shiny chrome on the face, bottom, and back. It has a very custom look to it. The Cameron oozes technology without looking garish – something that should always be respected.

Address:
The Yes! Is a bit more boxy. Notice how the edges are a little more sharp. There is quite of bit of offset as well. The Cameron looks absolutely classy. The white paint on the aiming stripe goes well with the putter, but would probably be more effective if it was black. The problem with the Cameron is that there can be quite a bit of glare from the silver finish. I’ve had to change my setup because of glare from the sun with the Cameron. You’ll
never have that problem with the Yes!.

Putting Stroke Feel:
I’m an inside-square-inside guy. I’ve never liked face balanced putters because I always felt I had to manipulate them a little bit. The Cameron feels like a door opening and shutting. The Yes! feels a lot more natural. The balance of it is perfect for my stroke. Between the offset and the balance, I’d miss my line right from time to time with the Cameron. I don’t have that problem anymore with the Yes!. It feels like I can maintain a good stroke with left maintenance.

The other main factor affecting the feel of the stroke is the lie angle. The Yes! is much more upright than the Cameron. At first I hated it, but after the adjustment, my hands are more in line with the shaft, and I have a much freer and squarer stroke (still very much inside-square-inside). Of course this is all preference, but it’s working well for me.

Feel at Impact:
The Cameron is much more muted. It’s a stainless body, with a plastic buffered stainless insert. The insert gives forgiveness without sacrificing too much feel. The Yes! is forged carbon steel with a chrome finish. The feel is soft, yet VERY crisp. If you miss-hit it, it sounds and feels like crap. If you hit it perfectly, you’re rewarded with the best sound and feel you’ve ever experience. The putter is very finicky, which forces you to make better contact. If you decelerate, you also feel and hear it. I can’t get over how much feedback you get.

Performance:
Both roll the ball very well though. The biggest difference between the two in this category is the forgiveness. The Cameron is much more forgiving on a little off-center hits as far as distance go. I think the Yes has a better lie, but Cameron may have a better loft. The Yes! doesn’t have much loft, so it depends more on its groves and an ascending blow to get the ball out of its divot and rolling. When you do hit the Yes! perfectly, it holds a line better than any putter I’ve seen. The greens are punched in Washington right now, and at times the ball just seems to float over the dimpled greens.

In conclusion, I’d recommend either putter. If you’re looking for a good putter that’s forgiving without too soft of a face, the Cameron is amazing. However, for me, it just doesn’t provide the feel and “excitement” of rolling putts as the Yes! Abbie Forged.

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

I fell for the Scotty Cameron hype and bought a Studio Style putter a while back. In short, I thought it was one of the worst feeling putters I'd ever used. And - I WANTED to like it, and fooled myself for a few weeks thinking that it was me. Not wishing to raise the ire of the SC disciples who revere "the guys at the studio" or wring their hands wondering what "Scotty" would think when they see what they think is a fake on ebay, I can say that I use an Odyssey Black Series 1 and it is (for me) a sensational putter. Great feel and finish. The sweet spot has to be experienced to be believed.

i'll have your scotty if you dont want it anymore ;)

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

i'll have your scotty if you dont want it anymore ;)

My brother gets dibbs. He's a huge Titleist fan. Even more than Erik.

I've tried both, and I found the yes to be more forgiving. odd.

Yeah, I know.

I found the Cameron to be great when it was hit dead centre, but that centre was tiny. Another thing that put me off was the GSS insert baloney. The idea that "German Stainless Steel" has some magical quality when it comes to making contact with the plastic cover of a golf ball has to be one of the biggest golf marketing nonsenses of the last decade. Stil l- makes SC a lot of money. Good for him! BTW - sold it on ebay anyway.

I've tried both, and I found the yes to be more forgiving. odd.

From what I understand (golfwrx.com), Yes! did a couple of versions of the Abbie Forged. The first one was too soft, and a lot of people complained that it had no feel. They redid it, and the second generation had a much smaller feeling sweet spot. It'd be interesting to know if it was a change in the steel, chrome, or forging process... This one is the second generation Abbie.

My comment on the forgiveness of the putter was not only how miss-hits felt, but how far they rolled, and how far off the stroke line they rolled. For all three, the Cameron was a little better. I tested them on a practice green at the same time at least 6 different nights.

Note: This thread is 5867 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!