IGNORED

All off the heel - what am I doing wrong?

Note: This thread is 5864 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just back from the driving range... almost everything off the heel. 6 iron and my driver. 6 iron had a horrible shank, and the driver an ugly slice (see photo attached). Never even made it to the chipping green as the range 'effort' was so bad I just kept trying to fix with no real success.

I spent ages thinging about what was wrong, but just can't work it out.

I even went to the extreme of lining up the driver with the ball OUTSIDE of the toe of the club, and still hit the heel (although closer to centre)

I always finish a practice swing with a 'proper' finish, but on a real shot, my hands end up in front of me, which I think is the cause of my slice.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong, or how to resolve? Sorry, no photos of stance or video of swing.

I hate this game... but can't wait to get out again to try and fix it!!

Superquad
Fusion #3
Big Bertha Warbird #5
755 3-PW
Vokey SM56.10 & 60.08 White Hot 2-ball

You may be going through the hitting area with your wrists still hinged slightly, producing a cupped action at the bottom. At least that is what my problem was when I hit the ball heel heavy. My remedy was to just swing though the ball like it wasnt even there and go to the target.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Hard to tell w/o seeing your swing but try these:

Try hitting easy half, three quarter shots with the split grip, essentially a 10 finger grip with some space between the hands. This forces you the close the club face.

Or you might be going outside your proper swing plane. With a regular grip and a 7 iron, try half shots taking back the club more inside (around) and finish more "around" as well.

Or you might be going way inside out. I'm not sure how to fix this one. Maybe someone else has a suggestion.

As always, minimize your grip pressure. Feel like you're just holding the club enough to hang onto it. As light as possible.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I noticed when I had the shanks (still hit shanks on occasion) my left arm would get away from my chest and reach out for the ball thus causing a hosel shot. I put a glove under my left armpit to make sure my left arm didn't leave me chest and the shanks went away. I also noticed as stated above that when my wrists are still hinged the ball will shoot off the heel.

In my Stand Bag
Driver- 905T 9.5* w/ Aldila NV Stiff
3-Wood- 906F4 13.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto Stiff
Irons 3-PW- 704 CB w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges- CG10 52* Vokey 56* Oil Can Spin Milled Vokey 60* Oil Can Spin MilledPutter- Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Ball- Prov1 (Or any nice soft...

There are many possible faults, i.e. too much in-to-out or out-to-in swing plane, but maybe simply try thinking of returning your hands to the same place you started them. Don't let them get closer to the ball than they started.

That drill of addressing the ball off the toe is good...keep at it and keep standing further from the ball until you are hitting it off the toe and not the hosel!

R7 TP 8.5* Fuji Speeder x-stiff (heavy,low,fade set)
975F 3W 13.5*
FX Tour Grind Nickel 3-PW +1/2", Rifle 6.5
Vokey SW 52*
CG10 LW 60* 3 dot (14* bounce) Tracy putter 35" (hit R but putt L)+ 1 club TBD...Past home courses: Unicorn GC (Stoneham, MA), Forest Creek GC (Round Rock, TX)Ball: Use...

Leadbetter advocates a drill where you actually address the ball at the hell of the club. That way you're subconsciously thinking about keeping the swing a little closer to you cause you know you're set up for a shank.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

Leadbetter advocates a drill where you actually address the ball at the hell of the club. That way you're subconsciously thinking about keeping the swing a little closer to you cause you know you're set up for a shank.

I've actually seen a PGA player set up like this in a tournament awhile back, can't remember who it was though.

In my Stand Bag
Wedges- CG10 52* Vokey 56* Oil Can Spin Milled Vokey 60* Oil Can Spin MilledPutter- Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Ball- Prov1 (Or any nice soft...

I know there is something wrong with my wrists in the lower part of the swing - something just feels wrong but I can't fix it.

Will try setting up with the ball at the heel and see if that helps. Have an outing on Sat so see how things go.

I think I need a lesson or 2 to get back to where I previously was.

Playing once a month is not good at all. Its getting hotter here though, so courses getting quieter, and prices drop from 1 June as 'too hot'... looking forward to then as I'll be able to get out more.

Thanks for the pointers.

Superquad
Fusion #3
Big Bertha Warbird #5
755 3-PW

Might be on to something... Was in my 'swing studio' tonight... (My study has great windows - so I can get a reflection from front and side when its dark outside!)

Although I am getting a decent shoulder turn, its all shoulders & arms - nothing from the hips up - they remain constant from address to the point where my hands pass where the ball would be.

I think this is causing me to be off balance as the top half of my body is fighting the lower half.

Could this be the issue?

Superquad
Fusion #3
Big Bertha Warbird #5
755 3-PW

This is why I love this game...

Played today, and not a single shank. Hit 30 or so balls on the range to warm up, no shanks. Just perfect flights. Even the driver was out of the middle, with a slight fade/slice.

Decided to not hit the driver on the course and stuck to the 5 wood. Outstanding. So much easier always being in play, although only being able to drive 220 yards made things difference on the long par 4s & par 5s.

One of my playing partners has a 10.5 deg Ping G5 with the TFC100 stiff shaft. Had a hit of it at one point and sailed it 267 (GPS cart) from the tee into a 1-club wind, right up the middle. Although I find the the YS6+ stiff shaft in my 905R to be VERY stiff, the PING shafts with soft tip seem very nice.

Need to compare a 9 deg stiff and a 10.5 stiff G10 in the coming weeks... Almost birthday time

Superquad
Fusion #3
Big Bertha Warbird #5
755 3-PW

Do you have any idea what you changed?

In my Stand Bag

was using my shoulders a lot more, and turning from the waist, rather than just my shoulders. Using shoulders only was throwing mee off balance on the downswing, causing me to fall forward and catch it off the hosel (I think this was the problem anyway)

Today was not as good, but I know what I did wrong - I used my driver on 3 holes, and sliced into trouble on all 3. Useless. Went back to 5 wood off the tee. Fairways all the way after that, and clean (although not 100% accurate) irons off the fairway. Putted like a girl though. Left everything short today.

I also changed my bag today. The stand on my old bag gave up so had to go buy a new one (Odyssey - very nice). Looks like the G10s may be delayed now (or I could scan ebay for good condition G5s!).

Superquad
Fusion #3
Big Bertha Warbird #5
755 3-PW

Note: This thread is 5864 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!