IGNORED

You've missed the green, what do you chip/pitch with?

Note: This thread is 5769 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. When you miss the green, what club do you chip/pitch with

• The same club everytime.
    • Mostly just one club, but occasionally use something different.
    • Every shot is unique so it may require a different club each time.

I voted that every shot is different.

I am pretty damn new to golf but I have quickly realized (especially after buying and practicing with a 56° SW and 60° LW) that different shots need different clubs. If I am just off the green on rough (I will usually putt from the fringe) and have a long way to go, I will use a PW or even a 9 or 8 iron to chip and run (depending on the distance). Most of my home courses don't require anything more than a PW.

However, my game often gets me into situations where I don't have a lot of green to work with, or need to pitch up and over a bunker or a hill, and I need backspin. Depending on the shot I will use the 56°, if I can allow it to roll out a bit, or 60° if I want it to only roll out a couple of feet.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i either use my 54 or 60 around the greens. I've never like trying to bump and run things. The ball won't be affected by break up in the air. I like to get a little check on shots if I can, because it allows me to be more aggressive. My wedges are the best clubs for that

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

i either use my 54 or 60 around the greens. I've never like trying to bump and run things. The ball won't be affected by break up in the air. I like to get a little check on shots if I can, because it allows me to be more aggressive. My wedges are the best clubs for that

I have a 54 vokey spin milled oil can, and I can't seem to get a substantial check-up with it...would you offer any advice?

In my Grom Stand Bag:

Driver: Launcher 400
Hybrid: Idea a30s Boxer 2i
Irons: MP-60's 4-PWWedge: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 56.12Wedge: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 60.4Putter: I-Series Anser 4Ball: Prov1

I have a 54 vokey spin milled oil can, and I can't seem to get a substantial check-up with it...would you offer any advice?

The best advice I can give you is to make sure that you are pinching the ball; not scooping or taking a divot. I only get a little spin out of the fairway; nothing that substantial.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

It depends on the shot...

If I'm playing a chip I always aim to land the ball on the nearest edge of the green and let it roll to the cup. Then however far the pin is from the edge will dictate what club I use.

If the ball has to roll a very long way I might use a 5, if it only needs to roll a couple of yards I would use the 9 or the SW. I try to avoid using the lob wedge unless I really need to hit over something.

I love the seven iron bump and run, but lately I've been experimenting with a square to square swing with my wedges and I find that I get closer with more consistency and I am not as perplexed by tiered greens.

Does anyone still do the 3-wood chip? or has that gone by the wayside?

If i'm, say 5 yards off the front of the green (in the short stuff only) and the pin is close to the back of the green, i'll use a 3º Hybrid. Hold it, and swing it, like a putter. The weight of the club with a putter stroke gets it up a bit, then rolls beautifully...

The Bag...
TaylorMade RBZ HL Matrix Ozik Flex M
TaylorMade RBZ 3 HL 
Cobra Baffler DWS 2/R 18° Aldila NV-HL65 S
Cleveland Halo 3i 22°

Ping G2 steel 5HL,6,7,8,9 & PW 

Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 54,56 & 60° or Nike SV Tour 50°

Yes! Sophia blade

Anything from an 8i to a LW, depending on my target landing spot, distance to hole and lie of the green. Today I didn't take my 60 deg LW and regretted it - I had 3 short-sided chip or flop shots that ended up 15-25 ft past the hole, and I missed the come-back every time. With the LW, I'd have had a much better up-and-down chance.

Costly oversight.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

I don't get to play as much as possiblle, usually use (1) club, a 9 iron, for a bump and run, and I grip and stroke the club as if it was a putter.

Eventually, I'll get the hint and stop advertising, which is against the rules.

just off green = 8/9iron chip and run
farther off = 52/56 wedge chip and run
even farther away or green above ball = 56/60 pitch with some run-out

if im beyond 30 yards and green front is open, use PW and pitch it, land before green and bounce, run out to hole

When I first got my wedges, I always used the 60*... I sucked though.

Now I use my 56 for all of the around the green shots. A good amount of loft, and still a nice amount of roll. I'll rarely use the 52, and will use the 60 for flops.
What I Play:

Driver: Sasquatch SUMO² 9.5º Stiff
Hybrid: HiBore 16º (3W replacement)
Irons: Staff Ci6 3-PW StiffWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 60.04Putter: Newport Studio Style 35"Ball: Pro V1xAge: 15

I have a wedge from my Ping i2 set that I use for strictly around 130.

I have a 56 degree Cleveland wedge for anything under 100.

Also a 60 degree but I never feel comfertable chipping and pitching with it. What degrees are gap, lob, etc?

-My current bag-

Taylor Made r580 Driver
Callaway FTi Squareway 3 Wood
Ping i2 Irons (Red Dot)Cleveland 56/60 degree wedgesOdyssey 2Ball Putter

Depending on the situation but if I am around the green no hazzard between me and the gereen I would bump and run it. Inside the 30's I would use my 8 iron and the farther the lower the number iron. If I have to fly it over a bunker the weapon of choice is the LW slightly open. If beyond the 30's I would use a PW or 56 wedge and quarter swing chop stop behind the ball shot ( i dunno whats the proper name for the shot).
Tools of the Trade :

Driver 907 D2 9.5* Fujikura (stiff) or 905 R 9.5* Diamana white (stiff) or ERC Hot (japan) 10* Fujikura Speeder 586 Tour Spec (stiff)

Woods/Hybrid: Burner Rescue 19* & Reax SF65 (Graphite Stiff) X hot 3 woods 15* Fujikura (stiff) Irons: ZM Forged Irons 3-9 Steel (stiff) Wedges...

With the new x-forged 56* and the TP ball I'm able to throw it at the flag and have it stop. I've had tremendous success going this route recently instead of bump and run.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

I used to be in the one club category with my 60* in high school, but in the past few years, I have learned to appreciate that every shot is different and I have to adapt to the conditions. It has dramatically increased my scoring around the greens, and lowered my scores greatly. One of the people I play with frequently though is a great wedge player and rarely uses anything but his 54* from 100 yards in no matter what the lie is.

I guess what I am trying to say is that each player is different and you have to play to your strenghts.

I use my PW in almost all cases, as I'm trying to improve my bump and run techniques, but I've recently been falling in love with my 60* vokey for over-the-bunker shots and some bunker shots.

Driver: Big Ben C-S3
3w: Tight Lies
Irons: T-Zoid True
Wedges: Vokey 56* and 60* spin-milled
Putter: unknown 3-ballBall: HX-Tour/Tour ix

Note: This thread is 5769 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!